On our way to the Arctic on QE!

LadyL1

It is a nasty old day, and I've no real inclination to head into Tromso given my hip issues, but we do have an excursion this evening, chasing the Aurora, but given the forecast is rain and yet more rain I'm not sure if I fancy 5 hours out in the Norwegian "bondu", freezing.

my blog can be read at https://blog.rakkot.uk 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rakkor said:

It is a nasty old day, and I've no real inclination to head into Tromso given my hip issues, but we do have an excursion this evening, chasing the Aurora, but given the forecast is rain and yet more rain I'm not sure if I fancy 5 hours out in the Norwegian "bondu", freezing.

my blog can be read at https://blog.rakkot.uk 

Just a quick correction. the blog is at https://blog.rakkor.uk  There is a typo in the above link. The blog is well worth a visit. 

• Like 1

One particular cruise line I know of runs an excursion to a midnight choir performance in the Tromsø catherdral which is apparently a wonderful experience. In daylight, the cathedral is interesting but with a gammy hip probably not worth venturing out in the cold for.

If Cunard takes a trip out at midnight, it would be worth the effort.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

It certainly is. The two accounts we are getting of this cruise really are the next best thing to being there and very much appreciated.

I feel very slightly like a stowaway...

We went chasing the Northern lights last night, 3 hours stood in a cold snowy car park, I was rather underwhelmed by it all even though we did get to see something. The worst thing was eating the evening in the Lido, How people choose this over eating in the MDR is beyond me, especially in these days where the buffet is no longer self service and the serving staff ration your portions.

https://blog.rakkor.uk spelled my blog URL correctly this time, it's a poor do when I can't even get my self publicity correct.

• Like 2

After dinner last night, we spent 10 minutes kitting and preparing  ourselves to spend time on the open decks. The “lights expert” was to be out on deck 9 aft from 8.00p.m. - midnight advising the few hundred souls on the the likelihood of a sighting. The persistent rain had stopped, the night was very cold and clear and definitely breaks in the cloud. After about an hour he announced the the negative charge was not in our favour and the chances diminishing of what we hoped would be a night to remember. The staff were very busy selling hot toddies or hot chocolate! I was pleased with my late night photos of Tromso, as second best for the lights!,

After breakfast this morning we had a good long walk around deck 3 all dressed for the Arctic blast, and the newly purchased thermals have been appreciated! As usual the “hardy three” were in their spot on the steamers having a puff: 2 other couples were taking a walk and a chap who spends hours on the deck whale spotting were all we saw.

Sadly the lecture scene has not improved. John Maclean the lights expert does speak and present very well with excellent technology, but it is a highly scientific subject, much of it hard to digest. Many have had their fill of the other speaker on Vikings and all things Norwegian, even though he is very accomplished. Considering we have only 4 ports we feel (compared with other cruises) this department is lacking a headliner.

It has been quite cool in places around the ship, and not so warm in the restaurant this lunchtime. It only needs one person to leave a door open to the outside decks and the cold air funnels through. The electronic doors for those with mobility issues seem a problem if the wind is blowing against them when closing.

I am quite perturbed to see a couple clearly flouting notices, by taking a short cut through a Covid area! We are one suite away from such an area on deck 7, and find it amazing what some will do, when the staff go out of their way to keep the environment as safe as possible.

I think it will a few laps around the prom again this afternoon, before visiting the travel office. The weather site I have been using has been quite accurate, and tonight is forecasting a particularly bitter temperature. 🥶 If the aurora is out later  I hope it can be  viewed from the starboard side! A viewing from the balcony would be very preferable, just venturing outside for a few minutes, or viewing from behind glass.

5562CCB1-24FA-4D08-A79D-48D4CFCF316C.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you Lady1 and Rakkor, I am enjoying reading about your trip! 

And thank you for the menu pictures, I really appreciate it! 

I was wondering if there is a drinks menu for the Grills lounge? Or do you just specify what you want to drink once you are seated? 

1 hour ago, aday10 said:

Thank you Lady1 and Rakkor, I am enjoying reading about your trip! 

And thank you for the menu pictures, I really appreciate it! 

I was wondering if there is a drinks menu for the Grills lounge? Or do you just specify what you want to drink once you are seated? 

Posted on your other thread

Edited by rakkor

Last evening we saw “Palladium Nights” in the theatre, which we thoroughly enjoyed, not having seen this before.  It is such a shame that that the glamour of these evenings is not what it was. There were folk there in hoodies, jeans, totally dressed down  or carrying rucksacks. I know we are on a cold water cruise and and most are here to see the lights, but think the QE deserves better than this, for those who do dress as required.

As we left around 11.00pm the jungle drums were active that the lights were out. We changed as hastily as possible to go on deck on a perishingly cold night at sea, and we were not to be disappointed.  Just removing a glove to use a camera, had one’s fingers hurting with the cold after a short while.

Fortunately, for some reason we woke far earlier than usual, to the most stunning scenery as we approached Narvik.  There was huge chunks of ice floating around the ship, deep in this fjord. The journey makes you realise how isolated these northern communities are. Also it is refreshingly clean, both air quality and the general environment. I had a good walk, saw a few ski runs, the cable car some great vistas, and it was only about -3 with the wind chill this morning, so quite balmy.

I have just read that Rakkor has tested positive! What a dreadful way to finish this cruise. Also that isolation is in a lesser grade room, must be infuriating! The fact that the internet is so poor is just a double whammy. I am not happy that I have to go out to a public area to use the internet at the best of times.

So now, it is snowing hard and the temperature plummeting. Will try and keep as  warm as possible, but with deck 1 open for the gangways, the cold is penetrating where I am sitting to post this!

D6CFEB6E-32B3-4512-96F2-EB129808639B.jpeg

• Like 6

I was in bed when we left Narvik in the early hours, and no idea if the lights had been shining: probably not with the conditions.  In fact, I almost felt sorry for those who had been going on tours in to the night as it was so bitterly cold and snowing heavily.
We had chosen to have breakfast “at home” this morning, and whilst sea gazing we saw 3 warships heading north: no idea of which nation, but probably Norwegian being in coastal waters.
A decision was made to go to the theatre to listen to Dr Stephen Musgrave, who previously spoke on Norwegian related articles, but today this very humble man spoke of his time with the Fleetwood lifeboat, of which he became coxswain. Before his lecture started, the Captain gave a ship-wide broadcast of the worsening COVID situation on board, reminding us of health protocols and mask wearing. I hope those few we have witnessed  who have been nonchalant will reflect on their actions. The rules are to keep us all as safe as possible.
The lecture on two 1980’s rescues he was involved in, in times before modern communications and on lifeboats that we’re not bristling with technology, was truly inspiring. So pleased he had a good and appreciative audience!

After that, it was 4 times around the outside deck for some fresh air. The air temperature was 1, but there certainly seemed a wind chill element. Today, it was only 4 layers (instead of the 6 yesterday) of clothes on the torso, and 2 instead of the 3 for the legs. My super warm heavy duty boots are brilliant for this climate. Some of the footwear seen for these conditions has been truly stupid, light  fashion pumps and one lady had stiletto boots for the icy conditions.😟 

In the dining room at lunchtime we were very much on our own. Not sure if some are having food delivered or are unwell. The ship in general seems quieter today, or perhaps there are some catching up on sleep from the nighttime tours.

My grouse for today; this morning I had to sit on the stairs(at B deck 7) to get an internet signal! I am now in the concierge lounge to post this. Cunard need to do better than this for suite paying pax.

0C0BC82A-C11C-44D5-A144-A13A1A88D015.jpeg

Thank you LadyL for our continuing to keep us posted with your great reports.The ''daytime what to wear outside'' is particularly interesting as it's so different from any of our experiences.

Stairwell B has become my go to for emailing and you do meet some great people!

🙂

On 3/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, LadyL1 said:

Rakkor

I think I know who you are now; I will say hello if notice you in passing, and hope I have the right man!🤞😆

Are they conducting mass testing and tracing onboard given the postings in the other thread? Are they jumping on people who cough or sneeze for instance and making them test? Or is just normal but people are aware that there is an outbreak onboard?

No one jumped on us, as soon as I started the sniffles, Jane dragged me back to the stateroom to get tested, as we had brought some LFT kits along, once it came back positive we did the right thing and called 911

• Like 4