New to Oceania.....question about penthouse suite cabin location

Just2guys

We have cruised many times but never on Oceania.  We are interested in booking a Penthouse Suite cabin but the only ones still available on the cruise we are looking at are on Deck 11 under the Pool Deck area.  Just wondering what the noise level might be in this location --- chairs dragging along from above, etc.

I ask because once on another line we were under the pool area and it was very noisy a good part of the day, often starting in the early morning.  I realize they have to clean the area and arrange the lounges so if anyone who has stayed in these suites under the pool area has any information about noise levels, etc. (or anything else about these suites that you would like to share) I would  appreciate hearing your comments.

Thanks

Hi, guys.  I can't speak directly about the suites under the pool deck.  We once stayed in a suite directly below the Terrace Cafe, however, and I was aware of tables & chairs being moved about in the early morning hours.  It wasn't ear-shattering, but it was loud enough to be heard in our suite.  After a few days, we grew oblivious to the noise.

Just 2guys

we just got off Marina Thursday, 11034 and we had friends in 11032, 11028 and 11026 and 11015 and there were no noise issues, except a scrape or two when lounges were picked up in the evening or put out by the staff. They are very cognizant of the guests below and try not to drag lounges. We were on Riviera in 11065 and it was terrible and were moved to 11023 and it was perfect. If you can get under the Oceania Suites, that location works too. 
You did not say what ship you were on but I am assuming it is M or R. 
good luck 

mauibabes

Following….  We are on Riviera in Penthouse Suites 11035 and 11051 (the moms)…,.   We were a bit concerned booking these rooms as well. We were under the pool deck once on Azamara and it was awful….  

We were under the pool deck,0r actually the corner of Waves and the pool deck.once on the Marina,  Horrendously noisy. Never again.!

Those that can’t sleep would be up at 4:30-5:00 dragging chairs, having coffee, dragging chairs again. This was in addition to anything the crew was doing! 

We were taught to pick up and move chairs unless on rollers, never drag them across any floor. Obviously not a universally taught etiquette. 

Edited by pinotlover

Am I the only one here on the O board that doesn't sail in a suite and likely never will? Almost all the questions are about the top end expensive cabins, very few about the lowly insides and outsides.🤨 I've noticed the same thing on the NCL board, where almost all the cabin questions are about the Haven or the high priced suites.😲

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Am I the only one here on the O board that doesn't sail in a suite and likely never will? Almost all the questions are about the top end expensive cabins, very few about the lowly insides and outsides.🤨 I've noticed the same thing on the NCL board, where almost all the cabin questions are about the Haven or the high priced suites.😲

Since the topic is about PH's then it would be logical that people reply to the question with a discussion on PH......there are a slew of current topics on E category, inside cabins, oversized verandah B cabins and concierge vs regular verandah cabins.  I see at least 5 topics just on the top of the Oceania comments that discuss non-suite cabins....not too hard to find.

Edited by basor
  • Like 6

I would advise to avoid the suites below the terrace cafe.  Especially if you like to sleep...

You will receive a loud wakeup call at 5:30-6:00 am as they move the food carts from the kitchen to the buffet stations.  Especially true on the R ships.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

FWIW, I was just on Regatta on Deck 8.  Our cabin was directly below the covered sitting area next to the pool deck.  It was all quiet. We did not hear any movement of chairs. 

Are you referring to the area on the Port side as you go to the Terrace?

One trick on the Riviera (and Marina I assume) if one wants a PH on Deck 11, is to get one under the Oceania suites on the deck above.  Those are forward.  And some are near the Executive Lounge, which keeps DH happy on occasion. 😉 

Very quiet; cabins/suites above, below, and next to you.

GC

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Yes

Yeah, people don't really move those chairs/loungers around like they do around Waves, pool loungers or in the Terrace. Good choice as long as you're not too far aft. 

Thanks to everyone for your responses.  I think we will stay clear of any cabins directly under the pool area or the Terrace Cafe.

I thought that might be the case but thought I would ask the experts..information is much appreciated.

Personally I am not keen on the overhang even during the heat of summer. Didn’t notice to much noise but then we are early risers and getting a bit hard of hearing. 
However if those are the only suites left I really don’t think you can go far wrong.

Remember the Balcony cabins are 282 square feet and almost the same size as the Penthouse suites 266 Plus 60 balcony on the smaller ships. If position is very important I would look again. 
We have travelled in PH, balcony and disabled Ocean view. All good cruises.

1 hour ago, welshfamily said:

Personally I am not keen on the overhang even during the heat of summer. Didn’t notice to much noise but then we are early risers and getting a bit hard of hearing. 
However if those are the only suites left I really don’t think you can go far wrong.

Remember the Balcony cabins are 282 square feet and almost the same size as the Penthouse suites 266 Plus 60 balcony on the smaller ships. If position is very important I would look again. 
We have travelled in PH, balcony and disabled Ocean view. All good cruises.

Not sure what stateroom dimensions you are comparing, but O lists its Veranda staterooms as 216 sq ft and its PH  as 322 sq ft, overall, on the (smaller)  R ships.  There are a couple of web sites that break out the overall dimensions into cabin and balcony.  There are small variations between the various sites, but one lists the Veranda as 175 sq ft for the cabin and 40 sq ft for the veranda.  For the PH, it lists 260 sq ft for the cabin and 60 sq ft for the veranda. Totals are +/- 1 or 2 sq ft within O's numbers.

For the larger O ships, this site list the Veranda as 240 sq ft for the cabin and 50 sq ft for the veranda...O lists the total as 282 sq ft.

For the O ship PHs, the site lists the cabin as 350 sq ft and the veranda as 70 sq ft.  O lists the overall dimensions as 420 sq ft.

it seemed you were comparing a Veranda on the O ship to the PH on the R ship. Maybe that was what you meant, but it was unclear to me. 

Edited by 1985rz1

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

it seemed you were comparing a Veranda on the O ship to the PH on the R ship. Maybe that was what you meant, but it was unclear to me.

That was my take, but I don't understand why. Maybe I should read the post again. 

Yes, I was.
Sorry a sentence was missing. I meant to add ( in my opinion) a PH is essential on Oceania’s smaller ships but not so much on the two bigger ships if peace and position are of great importance. We often go B3 ( deep balcony’s) on Med cruises as we love the loungers on our own balcony. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that on longer cruises the PH on the R class ships are very desirable. On those ships, on Deck 8 I would avoid being under the Terrace Cafe or the seating areas nearest to Waves Grill. Given the average age of the cruisers, not that much noisy activity around the pool. Regarding the overhang on deck 11 balconies, you may find the shade from the sun is useful. If you want to really bake, go up one deck and use a more comfortable lounge chair.

11 minutes ago, ChadnKate said:

Agree that on longer cruises the PH on the R class ships are very desirable. On those ships, on Deck 8 I would avoid being under the Terrace Cafe or the seating areas nearest to Waves Grill. Given the average age of the cruisers, not that much noisy activity around the pool. Regarding the overhang on deck 11 balconies, you may find the shade from the sun is useful. If you want to really bake, go up one deck and use a more comfortable lounge chair.

Pool deck noise doesn't come from passengers; it's the crew moving the loungers to swab the deck early in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...