Silver Spirits Pkg & Specialty Coffees

jss5200

We are on the Viking Jupiter in late August for our first Viking ocean cruise (have taken several Viking river cruises) and we are trying to decide whether to purchase the Silver Spirits beverage package. At about $20 per person per day it seems like a pretty good value.

In previous posts I've read the cocktails on Viking ocean ships are priced around $8. Is this correct? DH and I like to enjoy one and maybe 2 cocktails a day on a cruise but we are not big wine or beer drinkers. However, we also enjoy cappuccinos and lattes which I understand are included in the SS package. Can anyone tell us the approximate cost of these specialty coffee drinks? On our past Viking river cruises we used the self service coffee machines that could also make these specialty coffees although they were a little different than ones brewed by a barista.

If we do decide to purchase this package in our "My Viking Journey" and pay for it with an echeck, I think we would receive the echeck discount making it even more of a bargain. We welcome anyone's thoughts, opiniions, advice on this - we've gotten so much good info from the Cruise Critic message boards. Thanks in advance!

We have taken 3 Viking Ocean cruises and always get the Silver Spirits package. We have an expedition cruise, the Great Lakes Explorer, booked for May and already paid for the package. It is nice not having a bill at the end of the cruise. 
We enjoy cocktails much more than wine or beer. One time I asked for club soda outside of meal time and was asked for my room number, so I wonder if even that would have been a cost without the package…

Cappuccino, teas, water were always available self serve for free in the World Cafe.  
Enjoy!

If the SSBP is not included with a cruise, it is the first thing we purchase. The cost at $20 pp/day does add up over an entire cruise, but I only consider the difference in what we drink and the cost of the package. The delta is probably minimal and isn't worth my effort to track.

Overall, we purchase the SSBP for convenience, as at dinner we have access to a greater selection of wines, without having to check costs and once you have been on the ship a couple of days, the crew stop requesting your cabin number. With the package, at times we don't even have to order drinks, they are simply delivered as soon as they see us arrive.

Many nights, on arriving at the MDR, drinks were at the table even before we were seated.

• Like 2

You really need to figure out how much you drink regularly.  While DH and I drink, we have NOT found the SSBP to benefit us.  On our last cruise of 54 days (3 consecutive cruises), there were only about 6 days where our bar tab exceeded the $20/pp/day for both of us.   During that cruise, the package would have cost us over $2000.  I think our bar tab was less than $600, and we denied ourselves nothing.  If we didn't like the wine served at dinner, we ordered what we liked.  

We never purchase the Package.  The heavy drinkers on the ship love it, but that’s not us. We’re happy with an occasional glass of specialty wine or a cocktail. At that rate of consumption, the SSBP doesn’t offer value for us. No thanks.

25 minutes ago, Ceegeefl said:

If you do not have the SSBP and want to order an ipa with every meal is that possible,or do they serve only one certain beer each day?

No, there is a selection of beers available at meals.  DH found a Norwegian amber he really liked.

2 hours ago, SJD117 said:

We never purchase the Package.  The heavy drinkers on the ship love it, but that’s not us. We’re happy with an occasional glass of specialty wine or a cocktail. At that rate of consumption, the SSBP doesn’t offer value for us. No thanks.

You don’t have to be a heavy drinker to appreciate the difference in the wines offered on the SSBP. The basic wines are sometimes just that - basic.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

You don’t have to be a heavy drinker to appreciate the difference in the wines offered on the SSBP. The basic wines are sometimes just that - basic.

The wines “offered on the SSBP” are offered to us, too. As I wrote, we enjoy an occasional glass of specialty wine, and we’re willing to pay for that glass on an a la carte basis. But the SSBP doesn’t pencil out for us because we don’t drink enough to make the package worthwhile. On the other hand, those who drink more than us will get more value. It’s simple math.

• Like 2

In all the years that I have been following this particular discussion, I've decided that people end up buying the package for one of two reasons

• "I've done the math; it saves me money"
  • "it is convenient; I don't want to be bothered keeping a tally and I don't care if I don't break even; I know I will be close enough"

The package does not cover everything (like wine by the bottle), so read the description carefully.

Don't forget the items that are already complimentary:

• House wine and beer and soft drinks including bottled water are free at lunch and dinner.
  • Coffee including cappuccinos and lattes but not anything with alcohol, tea and hot chocolate are free 24/7 at any bar that serves them, in the World Cafe and delivered by room service.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jss5200 said:

We are on the Viking Jupiter in late August for our first Viking ocean cruise (have taken several Viking river cruises) and we are trying to decide whether to purchase the Silver Spirits beverage package. At about $20 per person per day it seems like a pretty good value.

In previous posts I've read the cocktails on Viking ocean ships are priced around $8. Is this correct? DH and I like to enjoy one and maybe 2 cocktails a day on a cruise but we are not big wine or beer drinkers. However, we also enjoy cappuccinos and lattes which I understand are included in the SS package. Can anyone tell us the approximate cost of these specialty coffee drinks? On our past Viking river cruises we used the self service coffee machines that could also make these specialty coffees although they were a little different than ones brewed by a barista.

If we do decide to purchase this package in our "My Viking Journey" and pay for it with an echeck, I think we would receive the echeck discount making it even more of a bargain. We welcome anyone's thoughts, opiniions, advice on this - we've gotten so much good info from the Cruise Critic message boards. Thanks in advance!

Oceania has a Happy Hour with 1/2 price drinks.  Check with Viking.  Just know, it is only certain times.

3 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Yo7 can appreciate the better wines and still not have it be worth it.  It takes +6 glasses of wine/day to make it worthwhile for a couple.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice we are receiving so far. Now that I know specialty coffees such as lattes are free (I thought just plain brewed coffee was free) we need to decide if we will consume enough cocktails (or maybe an occasional special glass of wine) to make the SSBP reasonable for us. Concerning the lattes and cappaccinos that are complimentary in the World Cafe, are they all from the self serve machines like the ones on the river cruise boats? Is there any place on the ship to get one that is actually brewed by a barista or bar person in an espresso machine (ala Starbucks type coffees)? Thanks in advance for more advice. 

8 minutes ago, jss5200 said:

Is there any place on the ship to get one that is actually brewed by a barista or bar person in an espresso machine (ala Starbucks type coffees)?

Yes, at the Viking Bar , they make expresso coffee drinks including latte and

cappuccino and other coffee drinks. They open at  6:30 or 7am and have takeout cups to bring back to stateroom.  

• Like 1

Viking Bar (aka Living Room bar) is located on Deck 1. Other bars are also so equipped; I just don't which bars they are.  I head to  Deck 1 to get my morning joe and then carry it to breakfast with me. They grind the beans fresh, a few servings at a time.

World Cafe is a glorified Kuerig/Nespresso machine.

That's good to know I can get my early morning latte at the Viking Bar then. It sounds like the machines in the World Cafe are like the self serve coffee/espresso machines on the Viking River cruise boats. They are good but it's such a treat to have a real latte with freshly ground beans. 

• Like 2

While you’re waiting for the barista/bartender to make your latté ask for some green juice.  It looks nasty but tastes great.  Available every morning at the Living Room bar.  And as long as you’re there, might as well get a pistachio raisin bun …so so good. 😋

E4BF836D-B6A0-4370-89A7-5F745C4FC581.webp

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

Ok, I'll bite, what the heck is "green juice" and is it something that one could/would/shouldn't  make from yard clippings?

Big jug at  the Viking Bar  next to  espresso machine. I think it is some kind of smoothie or healthy vegetable drink. I does look like new grass put in a blender, very green and thick. 

Edited by Azulann

4 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Never knew about the coffee and pastries in the Deck 1 bar. Thanks - my wife is salivating over that bun….

As she should!

1 hour ago, BigBee51 said:

Ok, I'll bite, what the heck is "green juice" and is it something that one could/would/shouldn't  make from yard clippings?

It’s a health drink with (as I recall) pineapple, ginger, kale, and who knows what else.  Very tasty and supposed to be good for ya. I discovered it when the hotel manager stopped by for his daily glass (while I was waiting on my americano) and suggested I give it a try. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:26 PM, lisiamc said:

I think that many of the "included" wines are less than basic.  Some were just plain bad.  And I don't mean bad from the perspective of a wine snob, but just that they should have come served in a brown paper bag as you'd find in a New York subway.

In addition, the included beer and wine is only at lunch and dinner, so if you wanted a glass between those meal times, you are off the included drinks and now paying for the beverage.

Your choice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Never knew about the coffee and pastries in the Deck 1 bar. Thanks - my wife is salivating over that bun….

Deck 1 always has a nibble to go with your beverage -- breakfast pastries until 11am (I always go for a chocolate croissant, so I can't tell you what else is there). They have open faced sandwiches, cookies and other delights for the rest of the day. They do not have waffles; for those you have to go to Mamsen's in the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 7 (yes, the WC serves waffles but they aren't the same).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I think that many of the "included" wines are less than basic.  Some were just plain bad.  And I don't mean bad from the perspective of a wine snob, but just that they should have come served in a brown paper bag as you'd find in a New York subway.

In addition, the included beer and wine is only at lunch and dinner, so if you wanted a glass between those meal times, you are off the included drinks and now paying for the beverage.

Your choice.

Yes, my choice, and as a light drinker I choose not to purchase the SSBP. As I’ve written twice before, we enjoy a glass of specialty wine now and then. It’s not exactly a hardship to order that glass and then settle up with Viking at the end of the cruise.

BTW, I’ve never consumed wine from a brown paper bag in a New York subway. I feel your pain as best as I can.

• Like 1