Splendor pool loungers

Tsunami74

1 hour ago, cindyah88 said:

The older crowd, bar none

I am glad to hear that you had a great cruise, and look forward to reading your report! I was on the previous cruise, and agree that it was fabulous. 

I have to take issue with your characterization of any one demographic being responsible for most of the chair hogging. Unless any of us has spent considerable time monitoring a high number of chairs on the deck, and keeping close track of how long each chair remains unoccupied, we really can't say what the percentage of unoccupied chairs are the result of hogging, as opposed to people who try to observe the 30 minute rule /request. We have all witnessed this behavior anecdotally, so we know that it does take place, and shame on those who do it. But I really don't think that anyone really knows whether most of the unoccupied chairs that we see are truly being hogged or not, much less whether any particular group is the most guilty. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, boblerm said:

I am glad to hear that you had a great cruise, and look forward to reading your report! I was on the previous cruise, and agree that it was fabulous. 

I have to take issue with your characterization of any one demographic being responsible for most of the chair hogging. Unless any of us has spent considerable time monitoring a high number of chairs on the deck, and keeping close track of how long each chair remains unoccupied, we really can't say what the percentage of unoccupied chairs are the result of hogging, as opposed to people who try to observe the 30 minute rule /request. We have all witnessed this behavior anecdotally, so we know that it does take place, and shame on those who do it. But I really don't think that anyone really knows whether most of the unoccupied chairs that we see are truly being hogged or not, much less whether any particular group is the most guilty. 

Well, it certainly isn't the under 30 crowd...

• Haha 3

Boblerm, I think you are being a little too kind.  On my last Caribbean cruise, pre-covid, I would often go out on deck to read and enjoy coffee before breakfast.  Every day I was out there, there would be plenty of chair hogs dropping off books and flip flops and then disappearing.  Very few, if any, 30 minute returns.  Of course, sea days were the worst.  I never bothered to keep track of the demographics of the offenders.

9 minutes ago, fluckey said:

Boblerm, I think you are being a little too kind.  On my last Caribbean cruise, pre-covid, I would often go out on deck to read and enjoy coffee before breakfast.  Every day I was out there, there would be plenty of chair hogs dropping off books and flip flops and then disappearing. 

fluckey, with full  respect, I have seen this as well, in fact, on my recent Splendor cruise, one morning I was on the pool deck very early.  All of the loungers had stuff on them, and few were occupied by actual human bodies.  But here is what I do not know- how many of these loungers that have stuff on them will be left unoccupied for a reasonable limit by people who are now having their breakfast and will soon return to enjoy their spots?  How many of them will have stuff on them for hours on end by inconsiderate people?  I have no idea. 

22 minutes ago, fluckey said:

Very few, if any, 30 minute returns.

Did you really monitor this?  I hope not.  Cruise time is too valuable to spend it checking on lounge chairs and detailing how long each one is left unoccupied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn't taking detailed notes, simply lounging and observing human nature.  But I stand by my assessment that there are plenty enough chair hogs on Regent ships ignoring (or abusing) the 30 minute "rule" to sharply limit available chairs on the shady side of the ship.  And it doesn't take many chair hogs to do that.  Fifteen hogs saving two or three chairs each would do it.  I'm not going to bother doing it, but I bet if you searched the term "chair hog(s)" on this board, you'd find that it's not my imagination that a problem exists.

Enjoyed back to back on the Splendor in January and the hogs were out in full force. Although the ship had only 482 guests, the lounges were all "occupied" by stuff no later then 7:00 a.m. As we had many seas days due to cancelled ports, it got frustrating to not enjoy a lounge chair unless you woke up at sunrise, went to the library, took out a book and put that book on a lounge chair!! Many of those folks made appearances during the day but only played on their iPhones! The book was forgotten!

We took a table for 4 near the pool grill. The 2 of us then took 2 chairs & sat, then took the other 2 chairs, put our feet up and relaxed.  If you are enjoying the cruise you can't let selfish people get under your skin.

They seem to appear on all cruise ships. 

I’m the reader type that will happily hang out for 6 hours with a good book. If I have plenty of water and someone serving me something fun to drink after lunch,  I’m not moving except when Mother Nature calls.   I have watched lots of lounges with the towel and book that stay that way four hours since I have shown up.   I’m sure I’m not alone is paying attention to one’s surroundings.  I have never moved anyones items, however when someone asks if anyone is actually using the lounge  - I happily will explain that no one has been in that seat for three hours and tell them to ask that someone (security, pool attendant, etc) remove the items and free up that seat.  

The last time I did this at a resort,  the family that took five 

lounges at a resort early in the morning, came back to all their stuff at 4:00 and found all their crap piled on one chair.   They went to open their mouth to myself and the other couple sitting there, but security instead had a chat with them.  Priceless.  

I think the hour limit is better than 30 minutes.  Let’s face it a trip back to the room for something you forgot and a quick discussion with you room attendant could take 30 minutes if you move slow 😏

Moving another person's belongings or getting into a verbal altercation will not end well for anyone who does it. The only chance of making an impact is calling the GM and filling out a comment card (which you can do at anytime and for any reason). 

At my former timeshare the grace period was 2 hours.  Security would check your name and room number and then monitor as they made their rounds.  If it was a longer time they’d remove your stuff.  Worked quite well for the pool and beach.  

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Moving another person's belongings or getting into a verbal altercation will not end well for anyone who does it. The only chance of making an impact is calling the GM and filling out a comment card (which you can do at anytime and for any reason). 

Did not work on last week’s Splendor cruise. Would think/hope Regent would realize that if they do nothing to resolve these issues themselves that they are only encouraging passenger to passenger contact. Which, I would suspect, Regent would want to avoid. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Did not work on last week’s Splendor cruise. Would think/hope Regent would realize that if they do nothing to resolve these issues themselves that they are only encouraging passenger to passenger contact. Which, I would suspect, Regent would want to avoid. 

Perhaps they assume the likelihood of a Senior Citizen Rumble over deck chairs is unlikely...but on a serious note, what was the response to your discussion with the GM and the comment card you submitted?

19 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Reference Pcardad's Post #88--

Review Post #34. 

Such an altercation did, indeed, not end well for the participants.

GOARMY!

Yes, I know all about that incident. Reference my post #23. Too bad there is no brig on board.

Oh,  I never suggested that you move the stuff,  I said go find someone on the pool deck to deal with the issue, which they should do.  Regent, can’t just do the ostrich dance on this, when someone says that no one has been in the seat for the seat for the last two hours.   Put a sensor on the lounge and it ejects all the crap to the floor if there isn’t any weight in the seat fir the last two hours.  Now that would be fun to watch! 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I said go find someone on the pool deck to deal with the issue, which they should do.  Regent, can’t just do the ostrich dance on this,

No one on the pool deck will deal with the issue if there is no policy or rule. On the Splendor, there were no signs stating a rule, therefore, no rule. 

I am still waiting to hear whether the signs have been removed from the pool decks of the other ships. If so, Regent has clearly made the decision to do the ostrich dance. 

@Boatmans Lady, thank you for your thread reporting on the Voyager, I hope that things are getting better after your very uneven first day. 

Have you noticed whether there are signs on the pool deck with admonishments about leaving personal items for over 30 minutes as there were in the past? 

20 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

I think the hour limit is better than 30 minutes.  Let’s face it a trip back to the room for something you forgot and a quick discussion with you room attendant could take 30 minutes if you move slow 😏

Seems to me that you could combine the 30 and 60 minute limits into one policy - after 30 minutes, have a crewmember place some sort of brightly colored notice on the lounger in question, something along the lines of "Please be considerate of your fellow passengers.  This lounger will be available for use by any passenger after _________, please contact a crew member to have these items removed for secure storage." and then the crew member could write in a time 30 minutes out.  That way if someone returns between 30 and 60 minutes they get a gentle reminder that they're being rude...and other passengers know if someone has been hogging for an hour or more.

Either way, seems like there's an equitable solution to be found here.

• Like 13

UUNet, that's an idea, but I think 30 minutes is long enough (probably too long) to save an unoccupied lounge.  In my opinion, just because one gets out at 7:00 am is no reason that said person owns that lounge for the day.  I appreciate that a few Regent cruisers feel entitled, but I would say it's OK to keep the lounge for a restroom trip or to get a drink, but not for breakfast, lunch or a movie.

• Like 1

UunetBill, great idea!  However with so many people posting on this post “The Problem” and how much it upsets people one would think Regent get’s the hint to do something.  Unless Regent enforces the policy nothing will be done on the ship,