Splendor pool loungers

Tsunami74

18 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I would have hoped Regent attracted a higher caliber clientele who had consideration for fellow passengers.  Societal breakdown apparently.

I would say that there most likely never has been, nor likely will be, a group of several hundred persons on a cruise ship, resort, what have you, in which a certain percentage do not feel entitled,  regardless of socio economic status. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, boblerm said:

I would say that there most likely never has been, nor likely will be, a group of several hundred persons on a cruise ship, resort, what have you, in which a certain percentage do not feel entitled,  regardless of socio economic status. 

I could understand a few but if it's common enough to be that obvious without available loungers, then it appears to be a high percentage based upon the comments.  Or I misinterpreting?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm actually okay with them allowing that - if people want to get up that damn early, that's their business.  And if they're 'actively using' the lounger, that's their business as well.

I should have phrased better,  I also have no issue with folks using the chairs whenever they wish.  Dropping something on the chair and disappearing is another matter.  

Going a bit 'off-piste' here - came off Splendor last month where we not only saw chair hogging but a couple who repeatedly occupied two separate double beds - how much space do they want? I'm gobsmacked how people just have the gall to do this with no compunction whatsoever. 🤷🏼‍♀️

12 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I could understand a few but if it's common enough to be that obvious without available loungers, then it appears to be a high percentage based upon the comments.  Or I misinterpreting?

The fact that loungers are unavailable does not mean that a high percentage of those are truly being hogged as opposed to those that endeavor to keep within the 30 minute rule /guideline /request. While we all may have our impressions, I don't think that anyone can even approximate what the percentage is. 

3 hours ago, Huggsy said:

Going a bit 'off-piste' here - came off Splendor last month where we not only saw chair hogging but a couple who repeatedly occupied two separate double beds - how much space do they want? I'm gobsmacked how people just have the gall to do this with no compunction whatsoever. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Until Regent  steps up it will never change and sooner or later there will be an incident and then Regent

will look the other way or enforce the rules  !!!!

22 minutes ago, etual324 said:

Until Regent  steps up it will never change and sooner or later there will be an incident and then Regent

will look the other way or enforce the rules  !!!!

If there is an incident, Regent will remove the passengers who started the incident...this is not the way to solve things.

etual324:  

There has been such an incident.  I--together with several others--witnessed it.  See Post #34.  Would have to believe this was not a one-off.  

There were repercussions for the offenders.  Basically, thrown off the ship.  

GOARMY!

I'd think they'd need to have some kind of reservation system set up for the day beds.

And if someone got the last spot at 6:05AM, exactly how early do people start putting their things out?  Can you go out after dinner and put things out for the next day?

I don't have any cruises planned for a while, so I'm just being curious.

I find it quite astounding that a guest would complain that they had things stolen when they had left them unattended on a lounger in the first place. 

I think it is highly unlikely that any crew member would steal anything from any guest but understand why Regent would want to protect them from accusations by making it clear not to touch guest possessions

I think the much better approach would be for Regent to take a stand and state that when belongings were left unattended at any venue for over an hour that it would be assumed that the guest had forgotten them and they would taken to security for safe keeping.  

Did I assume that somebody had stolen my jacket when I left it on a chair in the pool grill and it wasn't there when I went looking for it an hour or so later. No I didn't. Was I angry that a crewmember had taken it reception for safekeeping. No of course not.  Especially as my linen jacket had been beautifully pressed and wrapped in tissue paper and looked far smarter than when I had last seen it

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Put some card readers on every seat. Swipe your key when sitting down. During the day if an hour goes by and there is no weight on the seat (like at a hospital), have a notification that the chair is available.  Possibly staff would be notified. 

I personally would love if a spotlight and alarm would go off on the absent chair hog wherever they are on the ship. ( I realize this is impractical and impossible and over-the-top!) Contents are then photographed and removed. Presto! Seat is available. 😄 Repeat offenders could be thrown in the brig.

Edited by Pudgesmom

On 3/24/2022 at 7:40 AM, Huggsy said:

Unfortunately, the society we have created breeds people like this.  Regent is "damned if they do, damned if they don't" in this situation.  I think they chose the lesser of the two evils - if they ignore it, people like us grumble about it on social media.  If they enforce it, the offenders are much more likely to both create a scene and go on a social media rant about the 'terrible service' and 'how poorly they were treated'.  I guarantee you they've looked at both sides of the coin and have decided it's easier and safer to put up with a few grumbles than it is to try and defend against unhinged rants on social media platforms.

Having said that, I'd be happy to see the inconsiderate chair hogs catapulted off of the pool deck and into the water (assuming we were within swimming distance of shore).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Unfortunately, the society we have created breeds people like this.  Regent is "damned if they do, damned if they don't" in this situation.  I think they chose the lesser of the two evils - if they ignore it, people like us grumble about it on social media.  If they enforce it, the offenders are much more likely to both create a scene and go on a social media rant about the 'terrible service' and 'how poorly they were treated'.  I guarantee you they've looked at both sides of the coin and have decided it's easier and safer to put up with a few grumbles than it is to try and defend against unhinged rants on social media platforms.

Having said that, I'd be happy to see the inconsiderate chair hogs catapulted off of the pool deck and into the water (assuming we were within swimming distance of shore).

Absolutely agree with you, Bill. Very tough position for Regent to be in, and I can only surmise that if people are that ignorant that they would do the chair hog thing with zero respect shown to fellow cruise mates, that they would also be the type to "put on a show" should staff remove items or confront them. Trust me....over the past week the "man overboard" thing crossed my mind. 

An aside here.....I have a Mac and no Excel......how can I post a review of our Suite 1201 on Splendor? Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

An aside here.....I have a Mac and no Excel......how can I post a review of our Suite 1201 on Splendor? Thanks.

You can open one of the templates using Google Sheets, or just type up your review using the headings you have comments for and post it on the SuiteGuru thread (or here, even) - I'll get it into the spreadsheets one way or another!  😄

Edited by UUNetBill

I'm mystified why the Captain is not in control of the ship. Make an example of the offenders. In the event of a maritime/ shipboard emergency, these are the same VIPS who will be disregarding their emergency muster stations and shoving their way into other peoples' places. The whole idea of this discussion is horrible.  Let the Captain step out onto the pool deck a couple of times and personally move all this chair saving junk.....and we all recognize it when we see it. I would imagine there would be a round of applause and perhaps curb this behavior.

• Like 2

When i read all these posts about loungers, i am so glad i don't go near the pool loungers. I much prefer my own balcony. 

22 hours ago, califsealion said:

And if someone got the last spot at 6:05AM, exactly how early do people start putting their things out?  Can you go out after dinner and put things out for the next day?

When i go for my early morning walk up on deck, crew is often out putting the covers on the loungers so it is hard to believe that someone could leave stuff on them overnight. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fizzy said:

I'm mystified why the Captain is not in control of the ship. Make an example of the offenders. In the event of a maritime/ shipboard emergency, these are the same VIPS who will be disregarding their emergency muster stations and shoving their way into other peoples' places. The whole idea of this discussion is horrible.  Let the Captain step out onto the pool deck a couple of times and personally move all this chair saving junk.....and we all recognize it when we see it. I would imagine there would be a round of applause and perhaps curb this behavior.

He has been told not to.

18 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

When i read all these posts about loungers, i am so glad i don't go near the pool loungers. I much prefer my own balcony. 

When i go for my early morning walk up on deck, crew is often out putting the covers on the loungers so it is hard to believe that someone could leave stuff on them overnight. 

You cannot.

26 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Now this would be good——put they won’t.  Really if you have a policy, follow it.

• Like 1

Just off the Splendor and it was fabulous - full trip report to come soon! The lounger situation did not affect our experience much, as we are sun lovers and enjoyed being in the full or partial sun. Having said that, by day 5 we were seeking some shade, with none to be found, as stated thoroughly in this thread. We observed closely - exactly who was participating in this unethical behavior?? The older crowd, bar none. You know, my kids (millenials and genZ) get labeled all the time for being "entitled". Many are (not mine of course🙂) and it's a problem. But it is not only the young. Shame on you, older adults, for having a mindset that, simply because you've lived more years than me, you are somehow automatically entitled to be inconsiderate at best... downright rude is more like it. 

Again, this didn't cause us much discomfort, but enough that I wanted to throw my two cents in. All in all a superb experience and I'll post a detailed review soon!

• Thanks 1

We seem to still be discussing this issue as if there is, in fact, a policy.  I have asked this question twice on this thread, perhaps third time will be the charm.

On my cruise on the Splendor, there were no signs on the pool deck as to not reserving chairs for more than 30 minute.  As this was my first time on the Splendor, I cannot say whether signs were there before and have been removed, or were never there.

But on all of the other ships, I know for certain that there were, at least in the past, such signs.  If those signs have now been removed, we can say for certain that there has been a change, and there is no longer any policy to enforce.  So I am wondering if someone can tell us whether or not such signs are present on Explorer, Mariner or Navigator.

If there is no stated policy, we cannot expect the pool staff to be taking any action, much less the captain!  If those signs are in fact still there, then the policy remains, and the complaints about the lack of enforcement thereof are valid.

Edited by boblerm

51 minutes ago, cindyah88 said:

Just off the Splendor and it was fabulous - full trip report to come soon! The lounger situation did not affect our experience much, as we are sun lovers and enjoyed being in the full or partial sun. Having said that, by day 5 we were seeking some shade, with none to be found, as stated thoroughly in this thread. We observed closely - exactly who was participating in this unethical behavior?? The older crowd, bar none. You know, my kids (millenials and genZ) get labeled all the time for being "entitled". Many are (not mine of course🙂) and it's a problem. But it is not only the young. Shame on you, older adults, for having a mindset that, simply because you've lived more years than me, you are somehow automatically entitled to be inconsiderate at best... downright rude is more like it. 

Again, this didn't cause us much discomfort, but enough that I wanted to throw my two cents in. All in all a superb experience and I'll post a detailed review soon!

We must have cruised together. I was the “genial” guy looking at chair joggers with disdain but politely (??) holding my tongue. Great cruise. I was at the pool bar “once or twice”. 

• Like 1