Splendor pool loungers

Tsunami74

Like in much of society these days the only thing that seems to matter is, “ I got mine”  with not a bit of consideration for anyone else. It definitely can be annoying seeing all of those books on chairs for hours. However, a few times I’ve seen justice by Mother Nature herself, when a quick rain squall passed over.

Even worse before the free laundry, were people throwing a load of laundry on and disappearing. A lot of hostility used to occur with that . 

So.... since regent doesn't enforce its own rules or suggestions, can one then wear jeans in the dining room (or shorts or T shirts?)  Just asking for a friend.....

....Pass the popcorn

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

So.... since regent doesn't enforce its own rules or suggestions, can one then wear jeans in the dining room (or shorts or T shirts?)  Just asking for a friend.....

....Pass the popcorn

There is a difference.  The pool loungers issue is now a request.  Dress code is a policy.

33 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

....Pass the popcorn

Not unless it is the last night of the cruise....

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Not unless it is the last night of the cruise....

And I realize that just making a point.  If regent allows carnival behavior at the pool why not just let the whole thing go that way.  

Chair hogging is one thing I detest about cruising and why I won't go on the big lines, though RCL and X seem to control it a little better and aren't afraid to stand up against it.

• Like 2

With the Oceania policy that I mentioned at the start of this, I never saw anyone expressing upset about their belongings being moved to "the table".  They had two warning notes. And no passenger touched their stuff, only crew.

With as much stuff that was on the table off/on during the day, it must have been a fairly frequent occurance.

With that said, I think 1/2 hour is a little short. Giving people an hour would not be unreasonable.  My concern is with people who leave a bag or book unattended for HOURS and HOURS - just about all morning or all day.

• Like 1

Reference Posts #1 and #12: 

A few historical observations--now becoming more dated; and commented-upon on previous Threads.  But, human nature persists.  So, these nuances persist.  

"Hot" cruises bring out the "dark side" of some folks.  Specifically, Voyager, Jan-Feb 2014 Sydney to Singapore.  There WAS a Policy re: Pool Deck Lounge Chair occupation on this heat-intensive 3+ week segment.  It was clearly stated in "Passages"; it was reiterated, once-or-twice via the Cruise Director during the morning's routine Daily Highlights over the Ship's Intercom. 

Most-important.  It was "enforced"; and,  IT WORKED. 

Message was that "Orphan" items such as hats, books, sun glasses, and other miscellaneous detritus left-overs observed by Ship's Staff on a Lounge chair in an unattended state for over 30 minutes would be removed--removed to a suitably-marked table adjacent to the Pool Bar.  Note to this effect would be left to facilitate parents being reunited with lost kith and kin at that location.  (Of course, by that time, said Chairs would have already-been occupied by OTHER warm bodies.  

Just so-happened, that every once in a while, self wandered by the Pool Bar in the languid afternoons for no other purpose (oh, maybe there was one other purpose) than to observe numbers of "Orphans" still-awaiting reunification.  Kind of fun to inquire of Bar attendants hows about attitude and body language of folks showing up to retrieve a particular item.  Any sense of guilt?   Shame?  Seeking absolution?  

Continued daily "Passages" postings; and an occasional morning comment from the Cruise Director as to success in the "Orphan" initiative.  Putting a positive. light-hearted spin on the matter. 

But, 'stuff does happen.  On a different--but equally HOT cruise segment--happened to witness a totally-sophomoric display of pugilistic skills between two "gentlemen" coming to grips on the Pool Deck.  Object of their eyer was who removed what from a Chair.  An intervention from Staff was necessary. 

Later that day--comes the Captain over the Intercom--and, 'piped into each Suite:  Anyone observing that day's "incident" on the Pool Deck, and more-specifically, having concerns, was asked to immediately contact a Ship's Officer--or, the Captain himself to report same.  Sooos.  That was what I did, to a Senior Officer. 

Next day:  Notice to same effect posted in "Passages". 

Next-day:  Follow-up by Captain in his daily Noon Briefing:  "Appropriate action" had been taken.  Individuals involved in the Incident had been restricted to their Suites; those individuals would be off-loaded ASAP.  They would be responsible for resulting travel expenses getting them to wherever it was they needed to get to.  Also,  those individuals would NOT be allowed to book a future Regent cruise. 

A Cautionary Tale. 

Stay safe, and sane, as we all have more important issues of concern.   

GOARMY!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Is dress code a policy or a rule ?  A rule being more rigid.

Semantics.  To me, a stated policy has the effect of a rule in that those in charge have every right to enforce it.

In the case of dress code, the policy, rule, whatever, states, "Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner, once again with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill and on the final evening of the cruise." (emphasis mine).  Thus stated, they should reserve the right to deny entry to those that are not in compliance. 

I still have 2 questions for @jmalux, or anyone else that is on, or has recently been on Explorer or Mariner, or is on Navigator-

• Are there still signs about the policy/rule in regard to the 30 minute limit, or have they been removed?  I mentioned that they are not present on Splendor
  • Around the periphery of the pool deck, are there still individual loungers, or have they been replaced by day beds as I showed in post # 21?

On a recent Mariner cruise - with 72% of the cruise being sea days - I wasn't overly concerned about lounger hogs, since I've never been one to lounge for hours at the pool.   If went to to pool, there was always a lounger nearby to place my slippers and sunglasses.   

Aside from the agreement that the majority of premium [covered] loungers were being occupied by books or bags, I found it impressive that the loungers that WERE occupied [I perceived] were occupied by the same guests - day after day - almost always in the same spots (+/- one seat).     That's dedication!

What further amazed me was that in the later hours - when the sun traveled past its apex - those same guests were able to secure the [nearly] exact chair on the other side of the deck remaining in the shade.  Coincidence or Conspiracy?    

Edited by daetchief

On 3/21/2022 at 6:38 AM, boblerm said:

I still have 2 questions for @jmalux, or anyone else that is on, or has recently been on Explorer or Mariner, or is on Navigator-

• Are there still signs about the policy/rule in regard to the 30 minute limit, or have they been removed?  I mentioned that they are not present on Splendor
  • Around the periphery of the pool deck, are there still individual loungers, or have they been replaced by day beds as I showed in post # 21?

We were on Splendor over the holidays and chair hogging was rampant.  Nearly every day I would walk by and numerous chairs were “saved” by someone’s magazine, book, bag, hat, etc.  You could tell they hadn’t even used the lounger as the covering was still taut from when it was out first thing in the morning.  So many hadn’t even been sat in.  Must have been people saving them just in case they might want to use it.  I saw this even at 2 in the afternoon, so the loungers had been saved nearly all day without being used.  

My husband talked to the GM and he was told that they had a problem when someone’s things were moved and that person complained his things had been lost or stolen, consequently, they instructed all staff not to touch anything.   Absolutely infuriating!   I have such a problem with apathy from staff who won’t take action for fear of offending one person.   I have not sailed on Oceania, but I like their solution. It seems fair for everyone.  

Edited by Smitty A
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smitty A said:

My husband talked to the GM and he was told that they had a problem when someone’s things were moved and that person complained his things had been lost or stolen, consequently, they instructed all staff not to touch anything.   

Simple solution assign loungers numbers and take reservations, if there is a no show you lose the lounger.   Might be a little cumbersome for the pool staff but it would solve the problem.  (if you have a shore ex or massage or other activity booked it causes a conflict, if the chairs are unattended you have security put the items back in that persons stateroom..  Other option is have security called to gather the items and put them is a safe location.  Many ways to solve this as it should not be tolerated on regent.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Simple solution assign loungers numbers and take reservations, if there is a no show you lose the lounger.   Might be a little cumbersome for the pool staff but it would solve the problem.  (if you have a shore ex or massage or other activity booked it causes a conflict, if the chairs are unattended you have security put the items back in that persons stateroom..  Other option is have security called to gather the items and put them is a safe location.  Many ways to solve this as it should not be tolerated on regent.  

I agree completely!   There are reasonable solutions and I wish they would implement something. 

Edited by Smitty A
  • Like 2

We're at Disney's Aulani Resort in O'ahu right now where they have a stated pool chair policy which they enforce.  Why is it so difficult for cruise lines to do this?

image.thumb.png.25b48fd6c6b19f853336ed9d61acabf6.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We're at Disney's Aulani Resort in O'ahu right now where they have a stated pool chair policy which they enforce.  Why is it so difficult for cruise lines to do this?

image.thumb.png.25b48fd6c6b19f853336ed9d61acabf6.png

Simple 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huggsy said:

Simple 👍

It has been terrible on this present Splendor cruise.I have tried to “quietly shame” the abusers……but they obviously have zero shame.it’s a long plunge from Deck 11 to the sea and apparently i can get into serious legal problems should I instigate the push. Just hate inconsiderate people….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bccolaman said:

They could also not allow placement of items prior to pool opening hours.  

I'm actually okay with them allowing that - if people want to get up that damn early, that's their business.  And if they're 'actively using' the lounger, that's their business as well.

What I hate - as it seems many of us do - is the inconsiderate people who 'reserve' a chair 'just in case' they want to use it.  Just fries my gizzards.

To paraphrase Yoda "Reserve not.  Lounge, or lounge not.  There is no reserve".  Or something like that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This all so silly…just reconfirms why we never stay in a mainstream all inclusive resort on land any more (or take a mainstream cruise line).  I thought Regent was better than this….but I guess things (or clientele) has changed.  It’s sounding like it’s no longer like a boutique resort (at least around the pool).  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

This all so silly…just reconfirms why we never stay in a mainstream all inclusive resort on land any more (or take a mainstream cruise line).  I thought Regent was better than this….but I guess things (or clientele) has changed.  It’s sounding like it’s no longer like a boutique resort (at least around the pool).  

Money doesn't equal class...and that should surprise no one, ever.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Money doesn't equal class...and that should surprise no one, ever.

I would have hoped Regent attracted a higher caliber clientele who had consideration for fellow passengers.  Societal breakdown apparently.

Edited by ChucktownSteve