Splendor pool loungers

Tsunami74

We were on the March 7-17 Splendor cruise. We really enjoyed the ship, food, service. Top notch!

However, after the second day, we gave up on acquiring a deck lounge chair in the shade.

We dined with a woman who said she went out at 6:05 A.M. and got the last spot.  An exercise I would rather not partake in.

On our walks around the pool deck and 12th deck, we found that much of the time the only thing occupying the lounge chair was a book or bag.

Obviously more shaded chairs are needed, but would be difficult for the ship to provide.

Just before co-vid shut down cruising, at the end of February, 2020, we were on Oceania Riviera.  They had a method in which the crew checked the loungers on the hour and 1/2 hour. If no human was there, they left a note reminding them of not leaving unoccupied for what ever the rule was - I do not remember 1/2-1 hour? 

The next 1/2 hour, if still not occupied, another note was left stating that belongings would be removed the next time.

They had a table that they put the belongings on with a sign saying they were removed by the staff.  This table had various amounts of stuff on it that changed during the day so it was evident that the staff was doing what they said they would.

This made finding a shaded spot not too difficult but not guaranteed.  

I think if people felt they had a decent chance of getting a spot, they would not be so inclined to be a "chair hog" in the first place.

Maybe Regent should look into this procedure.  It seemed to make a more pleasant pool area experience!  (although I have no idea if Oceania is still doing this )

• Like 5

Wow, haven't been on regent yet, but wouldn't think chair hogging would be an issue or at least be monitored better.  Won't be an issue on our next cruise UK/Ireland but could be on the Auckland - Bali leg.  

Edited by Lonedaddy

We are on Explorer now, and haven’t noticed any unruly chair hogging. There are always plenty of loungers available, but the weather isn’t exactly great either. 

the 30 minutes rule is repeated daily in Passages. 

2 minutes ago, jmalux said:

We are on Explorer now, and haven’t noticed any unruly chair hogging. There are always plenty of loungers available, but the weather isn’t exactly great either. 

2 minutes ago, jmalux said:

But printing a rule without enforcement is worthless. 

• Like 2

It is happening on our present Splendor cruise. Virtually every “premium” lounger had been taken by people who think they are entitled and with no respect for fellow cruisers. Very irritating and trying my best to avoid confrontations. Just wish staff would police this as loungers are vacant most of their time, save for hats, towels, etc. to put a “hold” on them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The only way to have this addressed is to make a stink about it while on board to the GM and also put it in the mid-cruise and end of cruise comments.

Agreed! On our last cruise in December 2021, it was impossible to find a lounger in the shade. I am also not willing to get up at 6 am to "claim" a space. I have decided to make a stink about it with the GM should it happen again on our cruise in August 2022.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dvalentine823 said:

Agreed! On our last cruise in December 2021, it was impossible to find a lounger in the shade. I am also not willing to get up at 6 am to "claim" a space. I have decided to make a stink about it with the GM should it happen again on our cruise in August 2022.

I will too.  Should be so easy to have a pool attendant observe at 6 am and start the clock if people haven't returned by 630 move their stuff to the GM's office and give them a little placard to hand the GM that says " I promise not to hog chairs again" ... if this happens a second time, fine them, and a third adios just like smoking.

• Like 3

I was on

22 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

We were on the March 7-17 Splendor cruise. We really enjoyed the ship, food, service. Top notch!

However, after the second day, we gave up on acquiring a deck lounge chair in the shade.

We dined with a woman who said she went out at 6:05 A.M. and got the last spot.  An exercise I would rather not partake in.

On our walks around the pool deck and 12th deck, we found that much of the time the only thing occupying the lounge chair was a book or bag.

Obviously more shaded chairs are needed, but would be difficult for the ship to provide.

Just before co-vid shut down cruising, at the end of February, 2020, we were on Oceania Riviera.  They had a method in which the crew checked the loungers on the hour and 1/2 hour. If no human was there, they left a note reminding them of not leaving unoccupied for what ever the rule was - I do not remember 1/2-1 hour? 

The next 1/2 hour, if still not occupied, another note was left stating that belongings would be removed the next time.

They had a table that they put the belongings on with a sign saying they were removed by the staff.  This table had various amounts of stuff on it that changed during the day so it was evident that the staff was doing what they said they would.

This made finding a shaded spot not too difficult but not guaranteed.  

I think if people felt they had a decent chance of getting a spot, they would not be so inclined to be a "chair hog" in the first place.

Maybe Regent should look into this procedure.  It seemed to make a more pleasant pool area experience!  (although I have no idea if Oceania is still doing this )

I was on this cruise as well, and there were no signs on the pool deck indicating a half hour limit  The only reference to this was in the first day Passages that said that they "kindly ask" that people not leave personal items on chairs for more than 30 minutes. 

So it seems to me, that there is no longer a "rule", merely a request.  Accordingly, there is nothing to "enforce".

We cannot expect any crew members to remove anything, and frankly, when it was a "rule", pool deck crew were put in an impossible situation, if they removed items they would incur the wrath of people who's items were removed, and if they did not, they would incur the wrath of those who want the items removed.  No win.

20 hours ago, jmalux said:

Just out of curiosity, is it stated as a rule, with the usual warning of having items removed, or it stated as an ask?

On our Splendor voyage, it said, "As a courtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly ask that you refrain from the practice of reserving lounges with personal items for longer that 30 minutes."

We sat next to a couple who hog the loungers every day at the pool grill a couple days ago. Not wanting a direct confrontation I said (loudly enough for them to hear) to my wife…..unbelievable how people will hog the loungers and how they can be so inconsiderate of others.These morons continue to do it and obviously have no shame. 

• Like 2

If Franck is still GM of Splendor he will tell you like he told me that Regent has a policy of not moving items off loungers.  I think it will take more than a few passengers making a stink; corporate (including legal) will need to be convinced that doing nothing is more harmful than doing something.  I can't see the policy changing unless there is further legal action (which caused this current non-policy to be put in place.)

Just my two confederate sense,

Marc

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

I will too.  Should be so easy to have a pool attendant observe at 6 am and start the clock if people haven't returned by 630 move their stuff to the GM's office and give them a little placard to hand the GM that says " I promise not to hog chairs again" ... if this happens a second time, fine them, and a third adios just like smoking.

For better or for worse...there is 0% chance Regent will boot a customer for hogging a lounger. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrstanley said:

On one of our cruises I actually made a stink to the captain. He listened and smiled and said his crew couldn’t do anything.

The Captain can do pretty much anything he wants unless corporate tells him not to.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

If Franck is still GM of Splendor he will tell you like he told me that Regent has a policy of not moving items off loungers.  I think it will take more than a few passengers making a stink; corporate (including legal) will need to be convinced that doing nothing is more harmful than doing something.  I can't see the policy changing unless there is further legal action (which caused this current non-policy to be put in place.)

Marc

He went home the 17th.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Ps..

I totally agree with your post.

I have a question for those that use the term "chair hog", and this is a serious question.

If someone secures a lounger early, and uses it for the entire day, leaving it only for breakfast, lunch, to take a swim or have a walk, without leaving the chair for more than 30 minutes, give or take 5 , is that chair hogging?

Or does that term only apply to those that leave their stuff on chairs and leave them for an hour or more so no one else can use them?

If the latter, I am in complete agreement, that is selfish behavior.

As to the former, I have done that myself on more than one occasion, and would have no compunction about doing it in the future, with no pangs of guilt, as it does not violate any rule, policy or even request.

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

Drollery there…..if I sit at the bar a while and people want to sit down, I I have a question for those that use the term "chair hog", and this is a serious question.

If someone secures a lounger early, and uses it for the entire day, leaving it only for breakfast, lunch, to take a swim or have a walk, without leaving the chair for more than 30 minutes, give or take 5 , is that chair hogging?

Or does that term only apply to those that leave their stuff on chairs and leave them for an hour or more so no one else can use them?

As to the former, I have done that myself on more than one occasion, and would have no compunction about doing it in the future, with no pangs of guilt, as it does not violate any rule, policy or even request.

Bob.

The people I referenced (chair hogs) on this Splendor cruise have left items on their chairs for up to 3-4 hours unattended. I have no issue with someone leaving to eat, swim, bathroom break for 30 to 40 minutes. Selfish, entitled people just bother me. Although, I seem to occupy my bar stool for a little bit, but if people show up who I would like a seat, I more than graciously offer mine to them. It’s all about being considerate. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

I have a question for those that use the term "chair hog", and this is a serious question.

The latter for sure.  No biggie if it is being utilized with shorter breaks.  An example of hogs would be to put stuff on the chair at 6 am and not show up until 10 or11 am to use it.   another would be leaving to go to an activity like culinary class or the spa for several hours.  If a couple has two chairs and one goes to the spa and comes back no biggie.   It would be like someone putting their stuff on a window table in compass at 6PM and then not eating until 8PM.  Someone else could have had their dinner in that time.

• Like 2

Thanks for those responses. I have one more question for those on the Explorer or Navigator or Mariner- on the Splendor, around the perimeter of the pool deck, the individual loungers have been replaced with "day beds", nice for couples, but it seems to me that it cuts down significantly on the number of people that can be accommodated in this prime area.

Is that the case on the other ships?

20220315_163555.thumb.jpg.e16638ce388510b99e617e6c2cec9647.jpg

20220315_163626.thumb.jpg.9e984cd546f4d78c1570d0652c74c8e4.jpg

I have seen even worse behaviour….one person reserving 2 chairs at the same time. Holding one in the shade and a second one in the sun just in case they want to get some rays.

Also, I don’t get the “legal” issue referred to previously. Does it relate to a guest suing Regent because a crew member removed their belongings and lost/stole them?  The solution to this would be “dual custody” removal of belongings by crew. There are also cameras on the ship for video review if something goes missing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

I have seen even worse behaviour….one person reserving 2 chairs at the same time. Holding one in the shade and a second one in the sun just in case they want to get some rays.

Also, I don’t get the “legal” issue referred to previously. Does it relate to a guest suing Regent because a crew member removed their belongings and lost/stole them?  The solution to this would be “dual custody” removal of belongings by crew. There are also cameras on the ship for video review if something goes missing.

There are adjustable cameras that cover the pool deck and are viewable from the bridge. These are recorded. I think the incident in question was regarding a guest to decided to solve the issue of their items being moved by means other than discussing the matter.