Mont St Michel

garyc20

7 minutes ago, garyc20 said:

Had booked a excursion thru O….now no excursions to Mont St. Michele are even sited on the O webpage. The one we booked is not on our booking.

It's Saturday, and Ocean does it web site maintenance on the weekend.  It's not unusual for bookings and details to disappear, and then re-emerge on Monday or late Sunday.  Check again on Monday.  If not back by then call your TA to check on it.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, garyc20 said:

Had booked a excursion thru O….now no excursions to Mont St. Michele are even sited on the O webpage. The one we booked is not on our booking.

There are a few listed  but at those prices I would do a private tour & share with others

We went to Dinan as well a nice  town

• Like 2

Mont St. Michel is stunning and though the walk up is steep, so worth the views - just take your time.  The walk down is much easier. Best to wear good walking shoes as steps can be slippery if it has rained (which is frequent). We were on a land tour so can't speak to a shore excursion.

From  Le Harve, we were 1st off the ship at 700AM, ran to the car rental that opened at 8.  1st in line, drove to MSM in about 2 hours.  It was great and amazing !  At about 2, I told my Wife we had to get going !  The rental office closed at 5 and the car had to be turned in, the ship left at 7.  Would we have any problems on the way back ?  The GPS was in French !  We got back at 430.  No problems, but, probably, the most stressful day of my life !  Was MSM worth it, would I do it again ?  In a second !  It was one of our greatest vacatiom day ever !

• Like 2

Do NOT lock your keys in the trunk of your car when the tide is coming in. Talk about stress......

(altho' I think they've changed the parking situation since that happened and cars are no longer in danger from the incoming tide. Not sure tho)

We did Mont St. Michel on a self-drive trip (after visiting Normandy) and indeed it was a highlight.  This was many years ago, before my knee surgery (not replacement).  I didn't think I was going to make it to the top, but then I saw I was almost there so I forged onward and upward.

Today I'm doing a Context virtual tour online ... haven't watched yet but hope to soon.

It's easier when you do it as we did, in that we spent the night in a local hotel and then drove to the site.  So we had as much of the day as we wanted to spend there ... which was most of it!

As Jan said, there are lots of shops on the way up so that you don't have to do it all in one shot!

Mura

It is most magical at night – but unfortunately that is something that cruise ship passengers never get to experience.  We stayed at one of the hotels directly across on the mainland.  You can walk over the causeway up to the walls, and everything is lit up.  This is the wrong forum, but you could do this at the end of a river cruise [shameless plug from the Host of the River Cruising forum...]

• Like 1

Mont St Michel is very special.   We have been twice.   The first time way back in September 1989 when we stayed overnight in Hotel Mere Poulard.   No real crowds back then, although the restaurants were busy for dinner, and the food wasn't memorable compared to all the other meals we enjoyed on our road trip.  And we parked on the causeway, which has since been rebuilt and you cannot park on it.   Well, you probably couldn't back then, either, but what did we know?  The next day we found that we got a parking ticket!  But back in those days they couldn't track you via the rental car company (aah, the days pre-internet and all this connectivity).  Anyway, magical at night, although our camera jammed the day before, so we had to store those night shots in our personal memory instead. (so we bought a postcard....)   

We returned again on a O cruise in September 2017, docking in St. Malo, doing a private small group excursion.   MSM was super-crowded, and since we had previously seen it,  I wish we had explored St. Malo instead.   That being said, one must see it at least once.  After the climb to the top, you will have no guilt in indulging in O's great food.

11 hours ago, the mice said:

Mont St Michel is very special.   We have been twice.   The first time way back in September 1989 when we stayed overnight in Hotel Mere Poulard.   No real crowds back then, although the restaurants were busy for dinner, and the food wasn't memorable compared to all the other meals we enjoyed on our road trip.  And we parked on the causeway, which has since been rebuilt and you cannot park on it.   Well, you probably couldn't back then, either, but what did we know?  The next day we found that we got a parking ticket!  But back in those days they couldn't track you via the rental car company (aah, the days pre-internet and all this connectivity).  Anyway, magical at night, although our camera jammed the day before, so we had to store those night shots in our personal memory instead. (so we bought a postcard....)   

We returned again on a O cruise in September 2017, docking in St. Malo, doing a private small group excursion.   MSM was super-crowded, and since we had previously seen it,  I wish we had explored St. Malo instead.   That being said, one must see it at least once.  After the climb to the top, you will have no guilt in indulging in O's great food.

MSM was wonderful a few years ago.  Got lucky and took a taxi from the pier.  Six of us and had him wait a few hours for us.  Probably the same as paying a guide.  Saw everything we wanted in about 4 or 5 hours.  Well worth it.