Veterans Benefit for Reservists

Fishboy1947

Celebrity offers a discount for veterans. I am a US veteran from reserve service in the Marines. As a reservist I had six months of active service and five and a half years of reserve service. 

To get the discount Celebrity indicates that you have to produce proof at boarding, usually a DD214. As a reservist my DD214 only shows six months of active service. Has anyone had experience as a reservist qualifying for the veterans discount?

I belong to an organization, Veterans Advantage, that companies use to prove veterans status. They indicate that Celebrity has used them since 2007 but I cannot find anything on Celebrity’s website to verify this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Celebrity offers a discount for veterans. I am a US veteran from reserve service in the Marines. As a reservist I had six months of active service and five and a half years of reserve service. 

To get the discount Celebrity indicates that you have to produce proof at boarding, usually a DD214. As a reservist my DD214 only shows six months of active service. Has anyone had experience as a reservist qualifying for the veterans discount?

I belong to an organization, Veterans Advantage, that companies use to prove veterans status. They indicate that Celebrity has used them since 2007 but I cannot find anything on Celebrity’s website to verify this

I would expect that a veteran with DD214 is, by definition, a Veteran and you thus deserve the offered discount. Nothing in the fine print about length of service.

Several years ago there was verbiage that said to qualify you had to spend 2 years active duty or 6 months in a combat zone, and words to that effect.  It provided a detailed definition of what was required to receive the veterans discount.  Haven't seen that definition recently.  

I've been getting the military discount when offered for years and never asked for my 214 or retired ID.  Maybe the cruise line has it on record along with my Captain's Club number.

I can tell you that the military discount does cancel out the perks on our upcoming Alaska Cruise tour but for us it ends up being a better deal.  And adding on the beverage/perk package we would have to pay for the entire thirteen days not just the seven days we are onboard (according to Celebrity booking people).  That is a deal breaker for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

We provided Johnny's DD214 one time & have kept a copy on the computer, in case it was ever needed again...

You may want to check w/ Captain's Club or Customer Service regarding the Active Duty/Reservist differentiation.

Hopefully they are offering the discount to all!

Thanks for Your Service!

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 1

We have been using the military discount for years.  My husband is a retired reservist but we used it before he was retired.  He does have 8 years active duty history.  We have never had to show any proof, but he does carry his military ID just in case.  It could be that once you go on one cruise you are grandfathered in and they assume you have been approved previously.  Also, in our experience the military discount has always come with a refundable deposit rate, it does not always come with the promotional discounts including the all inclusive so if you enjoy a cocktail or two, there are instances when the military rate is not a good economic decision.

Law For Veterans. Who is a Veteran?

Enlisted after September 8, 1980

A minimum service requirement exists. Service members must have served a minimum of 24 months of active duty to be considered a veteran. If the service member becomes disabled because of their time in the service, there is no minimum length of service to qualify for VA benefits.

National Guard and Reserve members will have veterans status and be eligible for VA benefits if they:

Deployed on federal active duty for at least 180 days, and

Received a discharge that was higher than dishonorable or bad conduct, OR

Served at least 20 years, and

Received a discharge that was higher than dishonorable or bad conduct.