The Daily for Wednesday 03/23/2022

richwmn

Today is Melba Toast Day, National Chip and Dip Day, and National Puppy Day

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Meal Suggestion for today - sweet potato dinner with mushrooms lentils and fet
Drink of the Day - Dram Sour
Wine of the Day - Philipponnat 2012 Clos des Goisses Extra Brut (Cha
Destination of the Day - Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay BS eta 3/25

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante

Nieuw Statendam   09:00 - 18:00

Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus French Polynesia

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 17:00

Oranjestad, Aruba Island, Dutch Antilles

Eurodam   13:00 - 23:00

San Francisco, California

Koningsdam   11:00 - 24:00

Willemstad, Curaçao Island, Dutch Antilles

Rotterdam  

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Operations off shore

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Malaga SP

Volendam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Noordam  

0323World.thumb.png.430c4838ca2a22367f734e206cd7e848.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the days!  I love puppies!

Interesting quote.

I'm not sure about the meal suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

I'm sure the drink of the day will be tasty,  hope the wine isn't too expensive.

We were in Katakolon many years ago, I'll look for pictures.

We've got a nasty storm here today, freezing rain, ice pellets and high wind.  Hope the power stays on.🤞

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I never met a puppy that I didn’t like.  Today’s meal suggestion has me curious.  We both like sweet potatoes so I’ll wait for @dfish recipes to decide.  I got hit with a large project as yesterday ended so I know I have a busy work day today.

This might sun me up.

image.png.e6795d144f933a3e910d4916679f23b6.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 14

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  Fun days today, never need a special day for chips and dip here.  Interesting quote today.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.  Haven’t been to today’s port so I’ll enjoy the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 

• Like 26

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Lots of puppy lovers here and I like them but would not want the responsibility for one.  I think I remember Melba Toast being one of the sealed items on a BHB that I will take ashore occasionally although I'm not a big fan.  I'll pass on both the chip and dip and the sweet potato.  My alternative is Apple Pear and Cucumber Salad, Turf (hold the surf), and Almond and Orange Cake as served on MS Prinsendam March 23, 2019:

dishes23.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP  Kakalina 3/18/22
RIP  PA Troopers Branden T Sisca and Martin F Mack

Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Mamaofami string of unsuitable aides for Sam
Tana with rough nights
30th day numb for StLouisCruisers
bennybear DD with covid
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement

Mr Boston's neighbor David

From the rotation:
ger_77 DH awaiting pacemaker
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Welfare of furloughed crews

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in Everglades:

noo2day.thumb.JPG.973b0cd21ebec0e3efac3fbb633e0cb9.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
3 days for Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam 3/27-4/10)
DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),  Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy, Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3),  (Niew Statendam  to 4/ 6) at sea
HalSailor DH back home
NextOne booked for Come From Away
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, everyone.  

It is going to be warm and rainy today in northeast Ohio.  I'll take the warm, but the rainy could go away. Today I get the call back about the MRI.  My PCP is already on it and working to get me into an endocrinologist.  So glad for My Chart as I didn't have to wait on them.  

Today's meal might be a good choice for @smitty34877's vegetarians.  It is a little high in carbs for me.  I'd have to replace the lentils with something else.  But, lentils and sweet potatoes make a healthy meal.   The first one comes from Epicurious, or Bon Apetit, but is a free access website.  https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Roasted-Sweet-Potato-Dinner-with-Mushrooms-Lentils-and-Feta-Tahini-Sauce-Epicurious

954786209_SweetPotatodinner1.thumb.jpg.29611ecd83c9a2f3038db7d7f256269f.jpg

Doesn't that look good?   This next one is a salad version.  Might be nice on a warm day.   https://www.runninginaskirt.com/sweet-potato-lentil-feta-salad-recipe/

365595243_sweetpotatodinner2.thumb.jpg.b6b7e86067f5e961916303cf4e4e089e.jpg

Here is a salad version with kale.  https://dishingouthealth.com/lentil-kale-salad-sweet-potato-tahini/

519021978_Sweetpotatodinner3.thumb.jpg.ff50fc5dce0c4a941a33bd0976746ed0.jpg

Or, we have the Mediterrasian version with spinach and walnuts.  https://www.mediterrasian.com/delicious_recipes_sweet_potato_salad.htm

2029805312_sweetpotatodinner4.thumb.jpg.fa44f0416e3310d9124548bcd8c8adca.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Chips and dip are one of my weaknesses that make it possible for me to gain a couple pounds in a day. I think Melba Toast would be nice for the puppies. It is a good thing puppies are so cute; one of our neighbors just got a new puppy that likes to chew a lot with his sharp little teeth. The neighbor said he was glad he had about a dozen pairs of old shoes he didn't need. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! The clouds are heading in already, but it is a balmy 73 here this morning! 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyite family! Off to an early Tai Chi class. Then I will see what the weather allows me to do today. The pollen on my outdoor furniture is almost thick enough to shovel. What a year it has been so far!

Some Wednesday smiles…..

FBA8B088-8C05-4E42-82CE-4C5724171651.jpeg.437b60a621ff810593c157c6b8f56814.jpeg

3B03506F-D5B7-482F-9006-F35435777CA1.jpeg.1e71537001aeb9851b02a3010fc21b85.jpeg

55C09E49-9356-4D36-9EAF-785B4BE4652F.jpeg.00d63241c6651d4ef07373fc3f8461c7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

2012 Philipponnat "Clos de Goisses" Extra-Brut Champagne 

Another superb wine. Perfect for special occasions! The price is steep, though. Several online distributors with prices starting at $247.98!

SKU #158881198 points Wine Enthusiast

Outer quote mark This single vineyard, one of the steepest in Champagne, produces fabulous wines. Richness restrained by the minerality from the terroir is balanced by the structured Pinot Noir fruits that bring touches of toast, spice and white fruits. Drink through 2025 at least. (RV) 12/2021 Inner quote mark (12/2021) 

97 points James Suckling

Outer quote mark Aromas of bread dough, mandarin, strawberry, raspberry and light dry earth follow through to a full body with lightly candied fruit, phenolic tension and a clear, bright finish. Mineral. Pure. Dry and layered at the end with a note of chalk. No malo. 61% pinot noir and 39% chardonnay. Drink now. (JS) Inner quote mark (1/2022) 

97 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

Outer quote mark Disgorged in April 2021 with the usual 4.5 grams per liter dosage, Philipponnat's 2012 Extra-Brut Clos des Goisses offers up generous aromas of pear, pomelo and peach mingled with hints of honeycomb, macadamia nut and fresh bread. Full-bodied, broad and vinous, it's fleshy and textural, with a strikingly concentrated core of fruit, compelling mid-palate plenitude, bright acids and a pillowy pinpoint mousse. Demonstrative, even dramatic, its youthful generosity is deceptive, as it's only with some bottle age that real complexity will emerge. (WK) 97+ Inner quote mark (1/2022) 

97 points Vinous

Outer quote mark The 2012 Extra-Brut Clos des Goisses is a Champagne of extraordinary elegance and finesse. Silky and aromatic, the 2012 impresses with its mid-weight, refined personality. Hints of kirsch, red plum, flowers and chamomile open gently in the glass. Clos des Goisses is often a rich, vinous Champagne, but the 2012 comes across as restrained and understated in all the right ways. Its aging potential will be measured in decades not years. Sadly, severe spring frost took with it a startling 50% of the crop. According to Charles Philipponnat Pinot fared better than Chardonnay. Ultimately, though, the Goisses blend is a typical two-thirds Pinot and one-third Chardonnay. Dosage is 4.5 grams per liter. (AG) Inner quote mark (5/2021) 

95 points Decanter

Outer quote mark A wonderful nose blending a wonderful combination of fruit and sweet patisserie elements - lemon, apple, grapefruit and pear with buttery biscuit and roasted hazelnut notes. The palate is strikingly bright filled with textured, lively and persistent bubbles underpinned by balanced acidity and depth of flavour overall. A really well-constructed Champagne from the acclaimed 2012 vintage giving body, weight, precision and drive with a long length. Each sip is so satisfying. Disgorged in April 2021 after eight years on the lees, 60% aged in Burgundy barrels and 40% in stainless steel. A dosage of 4.5g/l which is the same for every Clos des Goisses. This, alongside with the 1996 vintage are new to the Place de Bordeaux this year with Philipponnat the first Champagne house to use the distribution network. (GH) Inner quote mark

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone. Love puppies and chips. Not so sure about the quote. Sam is off for the surgery to remove the wires from his thumb.Yesterday we had a video chat with the female aide originally from the country of Georgia.We liked her immediately and she liked us. We have to sign some paper with the new agency and she will start Monday. I feel like a great weight has been lifted from me. Hopefully this is going to work well. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 37
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It is 60°F and sunny here in NE England.

I have been at work this morning.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and Quote.

Nice food but will miss the drink.

Katakolon is a nice small port with a handful of shop's and restaurants but close to ancient Olympia.

We have been here several times.

Prayers for everyone who need them.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 26

Good morning  on a cool but sunny morning.We always celebrate our "puppies" here even though they are now both eight years old. Melba  Toast reminds me of the diets I tried in my youth with cottage cheese.I no longer eat chips in dips.We have not been to the port.

Our combined household nowadays is evenly split between  vegetarians  and  carnivores . The executive  Chef liked the looks of the first recipe so we will try that tonight. It should make the entire  group happy as everyone  likes the ingredients. Even our teen aged young man.

He is now taller than everyone in the house and fond of demonstrating this to us.DD and I are both a

whopping 5' 4" and DH and DSIL are both  5'8".He is now past us at 5'9". 

I have to present a picture of our Fred,the heading.

20220216_094343.jpg

• Like 33

Good Morning Dailyites!  Yesterday, another day at the doc for DH, who is sending him to another doc once the MRI/CT scan, what ever he is having gets done.  I was so tired after the drive, and getting back and walking the neighbors dog, that i actually only worked 4 hours before I had to bow out.  We had a sweet potato last night, with left over black beans, with spinach, and a slice of tomato with sliced cucumbers in Greek salad dressing.  (Clearing out the veggie portion of the fridge).

Cats are telling me to FEED now, so off I go-  oh, i love my chips with ketchup.

the514f016e3952c4a7c139d4e6e8ed3f2b.pngm

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 27
  • Haha 11

17 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Love puppies and chips. Not so sure about the quote. Sam is off for the surgery to remove the wires from his thumb.Yesterday we had a video chat with the female aide originally from the country of Georgia.We liked her immediately and she liked us. We have to sign some paper with the new agency and she will start Monday. I feel like a great weight has been lifted from me. Hopefully this is going to work well. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol,

I am so happy for you.  I hope it works out.  It sounds like a winning situation.  Prayers for the best outcome.

Terri

• Like 23

Good morning everyone,

I haven't posted in a few days,  have been following though. Just busy  with doctor visits for DH and replacing my tablet that finally  died. This morning waiting for Xfinity to fix my cable issues.

Had a great visit with my sister last week and she's really enjoying her Azamara TA.

Wishing everyone a great day,

Mary

• Like 26

Good morning! We definitely know we are on a ship yesterday and today. High winds create swells. We will be arriving in Curaçao at 2:00 PM and depart at around 11:00 for to tomorrow’s port Aruba. Tonight we are doing a food tour in Curaçao.What we need is more food! All but two of our ship excursion have been cancelled due to “operational” issues. I think with the changing of some of the ports of call they didn’t have time to work with local tour agencies or the company’s were already booked with other ships.

Last night we had a lovely dining experience at Rudy’s. I’m skipping breakfast and lunch today just giving my body a digestive rest!

So far so good as there are no known Covid cases on board.

Lorraine and Alexandra our Neptune Concierge’s are spoiling us with their kindness and professional help.

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our contributors. Life is good here on the beautiful MS Rotterdam!

• Like 36

Good morning friends!  It's raining here, just what we don't need!  I have a feeling DH will want me to come with him and wait while he has his teeth cleaned so we can then go pick up some groceries (trying to save on gas).  

Thanks Rich for the Daily today and thanks to Roy for the list keeping.  I don't think I need to be listed for my numbskull though so you can remove me.  The surgeon's office says it could take months for feeling to return.  As long as this isn't permanent, I'm fine with it.  Many prayers said for our Ukrainian citizens and the fine people hosting them, feeding them and supplying them with their needs.  My prayers also that they send the Russians packing back to their own country!  I never want to forget prayers for Jen, Buddy, Jose, Jacqui and Marley, Tana and her loved ones, and all the others needing them  including the souls of Kakalina and the two Pennsylvania State Troopers.  Very, very sad for their families and friends.   Good luck to Sam today with his finger surgery and I hope the aide from the country of Georgia works out well for Carol and Sam.  I went to Batumi, Georgia once and it was quite unique.  Congratulations to those on the Celebration list.  🥂 I hope all will enjoy their cruises, too.  No thank you on the menu suggestion.   Anyone want my share?  Not a huge fan of melba toast either.  Chips and dip are my downfall and I really need to slow down on them.  Puppy day sounds like a worthy event.  Even though we don't have a pet our family members do and they are all adorable.  🐶

Hope those impacted by tornadoes in their area are safe and sound.  Praying our friend Joy and DH Allen are well and escaped harm.  

Our destination today Katakolon, Greece is a nice one.  It was last posted here on June 18 and most people showed photos of their excursions to Olympia.  When we went we stayed in the small town itself which was pretty enough.  Next time I'll head to Olympia.  June 18 was the day we flew to St. Louis to attend my late sister's funeral service on the 19th.  Seems like so long ago now with all the other events that have transpired since June.  

A remembrance of our 2014 Prinsendam Black Sea and Holy Land cruises. 

Katakolonenhance

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4