Itinerary change. Now going to Astoria, OR

Doglovertoo

Our itinerary on HOL for our 4/3 departure dropped a stop in Avalon and added one in Astoria.  I am so disappointed we’re not going to Avalon and don’t know why they changed.  Looking for Astoria suggestions.  There aren’t any excursions posted yet. Thanks. 

Edited by Doglovertoo

• Doglovertoo changed the title to Itinerary change. Now going to Astoria, OR

Astoria is the filming location of The Goonies. There is a film museum in town. There is also the Astoria column The Flavel house is supposed to be nice. There is a riverfront trolly.

Ft George Brewery has lots of beers and good food. Bowpicker fish and chips is supposed to have the best fish and chips around. 

• Like 1

Odd substitution.  Avalon is beach and sun and southern California.  Astoria is Oregon, green trees, windswept shoreline.  It's a pretty town full of Victorian houses.  You will enjoy the scenery.  Wear a coat.

• Like 2

We visited Astoria while on a repositioning cruise from Vancouver to San Diego.  We rented a car and drove down to Canon Beach and had some great seafood there.  There is also the Astoria Column, which celebrates the history of the town.  Also Fort Clatsop is a replica of the fort that the Lewis & Clark built at the end of their westward journey in 1805.

• Like 3

Astoria is a charming Victorian town with an interesting history. I am sure HAL will offer some tours - some go south to Cannon Beach, a cheese factory (I think) and some other interesting places. I have done tea at the  Flavel  house, Fort Clatsop (very interesting) and climbed the Astoria Column. 

The ship has to "cross the bar" a treacherous part of the Pacific Ocean - find out more about that at the Coast Guard Museum.

I agree with dchip - far more interesting than Avalon but a lot cooler. Any town along the West Coast this time of year will be cooler.

• Like 3

My sister lives and works in Astoria so I have been there a number of times. Love it. Suggestions above are good. Have visited a number of Lewis and Clark things there, the column is good. Have been to a number of the breweries there and from what I remember (!) had a great time. Seaside is closer than Canon Beach is you are looking to get to the beach. Nice for walking but quite cool. I'm sure they will add some tours in. Since this is not a typical weekly port for cruise ships it doesn't have all of the requisite jewelry stores and is more of a natural, western coast town.

• Like 3

My sister lives in Oregon, and we have visited Astoria.  It's a wonderful place!  Like others have said, the Ft. George Brewery is great, a wide variety of beers/ales and delicious foods.  I also agree with those who have mentioned the Coast Guard Museum.  It is an amazing place, tracing Asotora's history as a shipping port, among other things.  When we were there, they had a booth where you could do a mock weather report, using the tools that TV meteorologists use.  After doing that I have a greater appreciation of what it takes to do a live weather forecast!  There is also a lot of history about the Lewis and Clark expedition in Asotoria,.  It ended at the mouth of the Columbia River where it meets the Pacific, and there are state parks at the location where the expedition camped and at the mouth of the river.  Hopefully they'll have a good variety of excursions for you to choose from.

• Like 1

The oldest American town on the west coast!  I'd agree with the Coast Guard museum and breweries.  There is a nice promenade along the waterfront ... some good restaurants there, too.  Even if you don't climb the Astor column (which is what we always called it as kids), the view from the hill is worth the trip up there.  Weather in April could be cool and sunny, cool and cloudy, cool and drizzly or cool and stormy. 🙂

• Like 1

We enjoyed our visit to Astoria -- at least as much as Avalon, maybe more.  It's a great place to walk around.  We had excellent coffee, visited the Flavel House, saw an American Cruise Line river boat that was doing the Columbia River cruises -- which I believe might be in town on your visit as well.  It was pleasant chatting with passengers from the river boat.  They were having a marvelous time.

We'd gladly revisit Astoria.  Don't feel short-changed, Travelers.

• Like 1

The Columbia River Maritime Museum is excellent. (Probably the same place that several people have mentioned as the Coast Guard Museum.) We spent a couple of months traveling by RV out west and up to Canada’s Rockies, and that museum and Astoria in general were among our trip’s highlights.

was a memorable highlight. 

My wife's family live in Oregon and we have visited Astoria many times and absolutely love the tiny quaint town. They have a small fisherman Worf, and I found the best New England style Clam Chowder and crab cakes on the west coast there. The highway bridge from Astoria over the Columbia River is a spectacular sight and the cruise ship will most likely go under it.  I grew up in So. California and spent many weekends on Catalina Island and for a cruise I would enjoy and prefer Astoria much more as a port stop.

See the source image

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, terrydtx said:

My wife's family live in Oregon and we have visited Astoria many times and absolutely love the tiny quaint town. They have a small fisherman Worf, and I found the best New England style Clam Chowder and crab cakes on the west coast there. The highway bridge from Astoria over the Columbia River is a spectacular sight and the cruise ship will most likely go under it.  I grew up in So. California and spent many weekends on Catalina Island and for a cruise I would enjoy and prefer Astoria much more as a port stop.

See the source image

Can you recommend a place for chowder and crab cakes on the wharf? Thanks

Edited by Z0nker

5 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

There are several places that have excellent Clam Chowder on the wharf by the bridge that crosses the Columbia River, fresh crab season is during the winter so any crab will be frozen. One place I remember is the Sea Crab House Restaurant. You will love the Oregon Coast and Astoria.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, terrydtx said:

See the source image

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

media_httpchzsomuchpu_odxrc-scaled500.jpg

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Z0nker said:

I went back and checked the other great place for Chowder is the Bridgewater Bistro it is right next to the bridge and if the weather is nice has great outdoor seating.

• Thanks 1

Astoria is a fun little town.  The best chowder is at the Silver Salmon Grill.  it’s not on the waterfront but maybe 3 blocks into town.  The chowder is also on the daily happy hour menu.  Some of the best chowder I have ever had!  There’s a fun kind of store on the same street Commercial St.  It is huge and sells all

kinds of tools, close outs, kitchen items..  the store is a hoot and don’t miss the basement. We found a very fun walking stick there.  On Sunday, is the local farmers market with lots of crafts.  Very cute town to just walk around and explore.

• Thanks 1