Jump to content

ArriveCAN


Babr
 Share

Recommended Posts

I see a lot of discussion about the fact that Canada will drop the requirement for testing to enter the country on April 1, but no one seems to mention ArriveCAN.

 

Do all passengers on cruises originating in the US have to upload their information to ArriveCAN in order to visit a Canadian port or to disembark at the end of a cruise?

 

Is there a designated time to do this or can it be done any time before boarding the cruise?

 

I’ll be staying at an airport hotel before testing to fly back to the US. If the test is positive, I don’t have a quarantine plan. How do I fill out that part of the form?

 

My cruise line has not provided any information about what is required. I’d appreciate hearing from people familiar with the process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am also interested in any first hand knowledge on this subject.   If you look at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing  you will see that ArriveCAN is still a requirement.  I have downloaded the app and have filled out some of the information, but like you, have no idea how to fill in the quarantine plan.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you go to the link in my previous post, you will find an "Assess your quarantine plan".  I went through the links and I believe just having a plan to stay in a hotel and having food delivered to your door is an appropriate plan.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SueMo said:

If you go to the link in my previous post, you will find an "Assess your quarantine plan".  I went through the links and I believe just having a plan to stay in a hotel and having food delivered to your door is an appropriate plan.


This seems to address people who are not considered to be fully vaccinated. They may be required to quarantine for 14 days before they are allowed to move about the country.

 

That is not the same thing as a known positive who arrives on a cruise ship or someone who tests positive at the airport for return home. Such people likely don’t have family or friends to stay with, and I’m wondering if just any hotel would be willing to house them unless they have a designated section and protocols in place to limit spread of the disease.

 

Perhaps ArriveCAN will be updated to reflect the arrival of cruise ships with the specific problems they present. I expect cruise ships have to have a plan like they did when cruising resumed in the US.

 

In the meantime, I’ll use your suggestion. Thanks for the help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2022 at 8:52 AM, SueMo said:

If you go to the link in my previous post, you will find an "Assess your quarantine plan".  I went through the links and I believe just having a plan to stay in a hotel and having food delivered to your door is an appropriate plan.

 

My question is what must the plan include? Do I have to show that I have an actual hotel reservation for 14 nights? Will I need to have a list of places that will deliver to that hotel? Or can I simply say that I would stay in a hotel and have food delivered? 

 

I tried emailing questions a while ago, but all I got was a link to a site I'd already read. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

My question is what must the plan include? Do I have to show that I have an actual hotel reservation for 14 nights? Will I need to have a list of places that will deliver to that hotel? Or can I simply say that I would stay in a hotel and have food delivered? 

 

I tried emailing questions a while ago, but all I got was a link to a site I'd already read. 


Just name a hotel and indicate food delivery. That is all you can do without any information about which ones will accept COVID positive guests. 
 

I’m hoping information will be updated April 1 when the test to enter is officially dropped. The issue for cruise passengers becomes the test to fly internationally. It seems people who test positive pre-flight will need some specific information about housing and transportation. Seems to defeat the purpose to turn those folks loose to take public transportation and book any hotel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sippican said:

When we visited a few moths ago, I found a list of hotels online that accepted Covid positive visitors, and just listed that.

 

That sounds easier than having a reservation already made. Where did you find that list? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That sounds easier than having a reservation already made. Where did you find that list? 

We traveled to Vancouver, and found a list through Google. I just checked St John, since its our first port. The rules have relaxed significantly this spring and I can find no such resource.

I think we'll just choose a hotel that has room service, and write that down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sippican said:

We traveled to Vancouver, and found a list through Google. I just checked St John, since its our first port. The rules have relaxed significantly this spring and I can find no such resource.

I think we'll just choose a hotel that has room service, and write that down. 

That sounds good. Let's hope it's a plan nobody has to use!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone used this yet? We cruise in June. I'm just wondering how the process works once we're off the ship? Are they checking passengers as they leave the ship? How are they checking them? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, shof515 said:

I am sailing in May and wondering the same thing about this

make sure you have the most recent updated version of arrivecan. 2.28.

You no long need to fill out a quarentine plan.

You must fill out the arrivecan within 72 hours before Boarding the ship.

Put your first Canadian port as the port of entry. ie if you have a stop in Victoria and then finish the cruise in Vancouver, you would put Victoria port as the port of entry.

When everything is filled out, you will get a QR code. You will need to show this to board the ship. 

Also have it ready to show when you arrive in Canada incase they ask.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 8:09 AM, electro said:

make sure you have the most recent updated version of arrivecan. 2.28.

You no long need to fill out a quarentine plan.

You must fill out the arrivecan within 72 hours before Boarding the ship.

Put your first Canadian port as the port of entry. ie if you have a stop in Victoria and then finish the cruise in Vancouver, you would put Victoria port as the port of entry.

When everything is filled out, you will get a QR code. You will need to show this to board the ship. 

Also have it ready to show when you arrive in Canada incase they ask.

We are on an Alaskan cruise right now that departed Vancouver.  We had to complete the ArriveCAN App within 72 hours before we boarded.  We were not allowed to board until we proved we had completed the ArriveCAN App. We are mid cruise and are now being told by the cruise line that we are required by the Canadian Government to complete it again before we reach our first Canadian port of Victoria.
 

 I am convinced the cruise line is in error and we are going to use our current QR code to re-enter Canada. We will see what happens when we reach Victoria.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2022 at 7:23 PM, Cruise Starter said:

We are on an Alaskan cruise right now that departed Vancouver.  We had to complete the ArriveCAN App within 72 hours before we boarded.  We were not allowed to board until we proved we had completed the ArriveCAN App. We are mid cruise and are now being told by the cruise line that we are required by the Canadian Government to complete it again before we reach our first Canadian port of Victoria.
 

 I am convinced the cruise line is in error and we are going to use our current QR code to re-enter Canada. We will see what happens when we reach Victoria.

I agree that the cruise line is wrong. Please update when you arrive in Victoria.

Thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, electro said:

I agree that the cruise line is wrong. Please update when you arrive in Victoria.

Thanks

 

We did not have to complete a replacement ArriveCAN application on our arrival into Victoria.
 

 I did however talk to another passenger on the cruise and she told me that,  by the time they were boarding, Princess was no longer requiring passengers to complete the application prior to boarding.  She told me that because the passenger lines to board were so long that the ship would not have been able to meet it's departure time if they had required the ArriveCAN application to be completed prior to embarkation.  I think that was the reason guest services was demanding that everyone on the ship re-apply.  They refused to even look at our receipt which is why we were so frustrated.
 

We also had to complete and turn in a Canadian custome form 4 days prior to our arrival in Victoria. This meant that we were unable to make an6 purchases in Ketchikan. But we were able to just walk off the ship in Victoria and again in Vancouver on disembarkation.  No security, immigration or customs checks when we arrived in Vancouver to disembark.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cruise Starter said:

We did not have to complete a replacement ArriveCAN application on our arrival into Victoria.
 

 I did however talk to another passenger on the cruise and she told me that,  by the time they were boarding, Princess was no longer requiring passengers to complete the application prior to boarding.  She told me that because the passenger lines to board were so long that the ship would not have been able to meet it's departure time if they had required the ArriveCAN application to be completed prior to embarkation.  I think that was the reason guest services was demanding that everyone on the ship re-apply.  They refused to even look at our receipt which is why we were so frustrated.
 

We also had to complete and turn in a Canadian custome form 4 days prior to our arrival in Victoria. This meant that we were unable to make an6 purchases in Ketchikan. But we were able to just walk off the ship in Victoria and again in Vancouver on disembarkation.  No security, immigration or customs checks when we arrived in Vancouver to disembark.

 

 

did you have to turn in the forms to the cruise line before your arrival in Victoria?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, electro said:

did you have to turn in the forms to the cruise line before your arrival in Victoria?

 

We had to turn the Canadian Customs form in to the cruise line 4 days prior to our arrival in Victoria but did not have to turn the ArriveCAN receipt in to them.  And we did not have to show it to anyone on our arrival in Victoria.  

 

42 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

 

 

Those arriving from outside Canada prior to boarding the cruise had to complete two ArriveCAN applications, one prior to their arrival in Canada and a second within 72 hours prior to boarding the cruise ship. You must cancel the Canadian arrival receipt before you can apply for the second receipt in order to board the cruise ship..

 

And, because you can only have one valid ArriveCAN receipt at a time, the one used to board the cruise ship must be completed after arrival into Canada in order to receive the valid receipt to board the cruise ship.  
 

This may have been what caused the delays in boarding and the confusion about needing a second ArriveCAN receipt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

 

 

i will have 3 grandkids with me.   do they each have to have a cell phone with the Arrivecan app???

I think you can add the grandchildren to your application.  My husband and I were on the same ArriveCAN application with one QR code and one receipt for both of us. We did have to submit passport , vaccination and other information for each of us in the application.  You may want to call the government help line to confirm this is correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Cruise Starter said:

I think you can add the grandchildren to your application.  My husband and I were on the same ArriveCAN application with one QR code and one receipt for both of us. We did have to submit passport , vaccination and other information for each of us in the application.  You may want to call the government help line to confirm this is correct.

I also have read that one ArriveCan can be used for an entire family group. Which will make it easier for my extended family of 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

i will have 3 grandkids with me.   do they each have to have a cell phone with the Arrivecan app???

You definitely can add family, in fact the wording is much more broad than with Customs forms (where it can only be done with Household Members) - up to max of 8 travelers can be on one ArriveCAN trip, so as long as your group is crossing the Canadian border/boarding the ship at the same time as a group, the grandkids could be flying in separately from all over the world to meet up with you.

 

Whoever completes the entry obviously needs to know the passport, vaxx etc. details for all of their party members - so if you are going to prep your entry ahead of the GKs being physically present in your company and showing you all the docs, do ask them to double-check any ID numbers, vaxx dates etc. very carefully!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2022 at 1:18 PM, martincath said:

Whoever completes the entry obviously needs to know the passport, vaxx etc. details for all of their party members - so if you are going to prep your entry ahead of the GKs being physically present in your company and showing you all the docs, do ask them to double-check any ID numbers, vaxx dates etc. very carefully!!!!

 

Very important advice.

Can't stress enough that if one person has the ArriveCan QR code for a small travel group, that that group must be together at the beginning of the embarkation process.  In Seattle, that would mean that the entire group would need to be together entering the terminal building (as that is where the QR code is checked).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...