Labadee Questions and Suggestions

AF-1

Hi everyone. I am currently planning a cruise which will include both Labadee and Coco Cay. I have not been to Labadee since 1999 when Royal first started using the island; and have not been to Coco Cay since 2011 when Royal opened the island.  What are some must see or must do's; and any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thank you very much.  Have a great day

Edited by AF-1

25 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hi everyone. I am currently planning a cruise which will include both Labadee and Coco Cay. I have not been to Labadee since 1999 when Royal first started using the island; and have not been to Coco Cay since 2011 when Royal opened the island.  What are some must see or must do's; and any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thank you very much.  Have a great day

Actually my first cruise in 2008 on Sovereign of the Seas went to Coco Cay

4 minutes ago, bigque said:

Actually my first cruise in 2008 on Sovereign of the Seas went to Coco Cay

Well when you went in 2008 it must have been bare minimum.  When I was there in 2011 they did not have much there other than lounge chairs and swim gear.

9 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Well when you went in 2008 it must have been bare minimum.  When I was there in 2011 they did not have much there other than lounge chairs and swim gear.

According to Wikipedia (which admittedly isn't always reliable), Royal first obtained the lease on Coco Cay (back when it was called Little Stirrup Cay, right next door to NCL's Great Stirrup Cay) in 1988. (And they began using Labadee in 1986.)

It underwent the massive overhaul in 2019, but it had been in operation for decades before that, admittedly in a much more primitive state.

Edited by DukeASUGirl

26 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

According to Wikipedia (which admittedly isn't always reliable), Royal first obtained the lease on Coco Cay (back when it was called Little Stirrup Cay, right next door to NCL's Great Stirrup Cay) in 1988. (And they began using Labadee in 1986.)

It underwent the massive overhaul in 2019, but it had been in operation for decades before that, admittedly in a much more primitive state.

Agree - our first cruise in 1992 on Sovereign went to CocoCay.  We were also at Labadee in 1993.  Both locations were very undeveloped at the time and in that respect, were quite enjoyable.  Had to tender to both, and with CocoCay that became a long running issue with many port of calls to that island canceled last minute to do weather and / or wave conditions.  Happened to us once there, but the decision was made the night before and they were able to reroute us to Freeport instead. 

Over the years have been to Labadee many times and CocoCay occasionally - more recently back to CocoCay a couple of times since 2019.  Was interesting to watch the development that took place over time at both, with of course the huge recent transformation at CocoCay.

As to what to do, the Zip Line at Labadee would be high on the list, and at CocoCay the CocoCay Beach Club offers a relaxing beach day and a terrific lunch.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

leaveitallbehind;  thank you for your feedback.  I appreciate it

You are welcome and enjoy your cruise.  I did the Zipline years ago with my then 15 year old son - it was a blast.  Most recently in October and again in Dec. / Jan. Holiday cruise we enjoyed the CocoCay Beach Club.  The lunch, which along with a bento box appetizer selection included Lobster and Filet - with seconds on request.  The venue typically is priced at about $165 pp, but frequently goes on sale on the planner and we were able to get 50% off on the Holiday cruise - well worth it for the lunch alone!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

It wasn’t Perfect Day like it is now but it was still a perfect beautiful tropical island beach day and yes with loungers, umbrellas, hammocks, still had the food, but hints to do like jet skis, etc. 

I wasn’t trying to start up anything but was just making the point that Coco Cay has been there long before 2011

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigque said:

I wasn’t trying to start up anything but was just making the point that Coco Cay has been there long before 2011

I for one didn't take it that way at all - took it as just wanting to clarify the timeline for the OP.  That was the reason I jumped in with my comments acknowledging the general wikipedia information also presented relative to our experience.  🙂

But then also wanted to add answers to the OP's questions on things currently to do there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Agree - our first cruise in 1992 on Sovereign went to CocoCay.

Ours was 1993, and it was a lovely little island that you had to tender into.  I remember walking down a dirt road to a private area with a beach - and no one. We sat there alone on a private beach for a couple hours and it was lovely. They had the the bar, BBQ lunch place, a snorkel/dive rental hut (you could bring your own gear but you had to rent their inflatable PFDs), and some beach chairs.  I don't remember anything else. 

We went again a few times, and the last time before the upgrade, and we still tendered in but there were many more buildings and seemingly thousands of beach chairs arranged near the beach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You are welcome and enjoy your cruise.  I did the Zipline years ago with my then 15 year old son - it was a blast.  Most recently in October and again in Dec. / Jan. Holiday cruise we enjoyed the CocoCay Beach Club.  The lunch, which along with a bento box appetizer selection included Lobster and Filet - with seconds on request.  The venue typically is priced at about $165 pp, but frequently goes on sale on the planner and we were able to get 50% off on the Holiday cruise - well worth it for the lunch alone!

Again,  thanks for the informative feedback.  I will file this in my notes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigque said:

It wasn’t Perfect Day like it is now but it was still a perfect beautiful tropical island beach day and yes with loungers, umbrellas, hammocks, still had the food, but hints to do like jet skis, etc. 

I totally understand.  I am looking forward to all the island has to offer.  Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

We have been to Labadee three times just prior to Covid. The two zip lines are so much fun and it is a must-do whenever we are there. We have a link to our zipline video in my signature below if you want to check it out. You'll have a great day there no matter what you choose to do.

9 hours ago, annmarz said:

When you exit the pier walkway, there is a walking trail loop to your left. We enjoyed this - lots of nice views and not strenuous.

thank you for your feedback.  Have a wonderful day

On 3/25/2022 at 7:45 AM, DukeASUGirl said:

RC picked up Coco Cay when it acquired Admiral Cruises.

Over the years PRE-COVID

We have done the following.

1.  water slide--total waste of money, it is a metal tube with water dripping down (not flowing) and you have a minimal view of the scenery and you get out as it ends in a metal tub.  Now mind you we all got stuck halfway down and had to wait till the water behind us was full and bountiful to get us down the tube.

2.  Zip line-- although pricey, we have done it on 3 separate cruises over the years.  It is awesome, and I have a fear of heights and the attendants recognized my concern and helped me along the way.  They are so safety concerned and made it fun for all.

3.  Coaster is great-- the clankity clank up the side of the mountain, and the brake lever where you control your own speed.  We had fun once we got on it but the wait at times was over an hour, not all the time, but we were not that lucky.  Will do again.

4.  Jet skis--WE LOVE IT, now some might say that it is boring because it is follow the leader in design, but we are only weekend warriors.  In my younger days I would be placed behind DD and DH as our dare devils and I would be third, but now as I get older and I value life more than thrill I request the place of honor-dead last.  They give a great inservice, fit you for safety vest and have you do a quickie practice run to the orange bouy.  Then it is full throttle on a course pre determined around the reef. The whole event takes about an hour.  Love it, and will do again, and again and again.

Then we do other fun stuff, like eat and float on the floaties.

Husband snorkels, but little in the way of sea life to see.

Take care.

Excited to be going back in May.

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Over the years PRE-COVID

We have done the following.

1.  water slide--total waste of money, it is a metal tube with water dripping down (not flowing) and you have a minimal view of the scenery and you get out as it ends in a metal tub.  Now mind you we all got stuck halfway down and had to wait till the water behind us was full and bountiful to get us down the tube.

2.  Zip line-- although pricey, we have done it on 3 separate cruises over the years.  It is awesome, and I have a fear of heights and the attendants recognized my concern and helped me along the way.  They are so safety concerned and made it fun for all.

3.  Coaster is great-- the clankity clank up the side of the mountain, and the brake lever where you control your own speed.  We had fun once we got on it but the wait at times was over an hour, not all the time, but we were not that lucky.  Will do again.

4.  Jet skis--WE LOVE IT, now some might say that it is boring because it is follow the leader in design, but we are only weekend warriors.  In my younger days I would be placed behind DD and DH as our dare devils and I would be third, but now as I get older and I value life more than thrill I request the place of honor-dead last.  They give a great inservice, fit you for safety vest and have you do a quickie practice run to the orange bouy.  Then it is full throttle on a course pre determined around the reef. The whole event takes about an hour.  Love it, and will do again, and again and again.

Then we do other fun stuff, like eat and float on the floaties.

Husband snorkels, but little in the way of sea life to see.

Take care.

Excited to be going back in May.

Where does your husband like to snorkel here (which beach and location)?  Looking for the best spot, I understand it isn't the best area to snorkel but we have our own equipment and enjoy being in the water.

2 hours ago, p5woody said:

Where does your husband like to snorkel here (which beach and location)?  Looking for the best spot, I understand it isn't the best area to snorkel but we have our own equipment and enjoy being in the water.

We take our own equipment and snorkel on suite beach (aka barefoot beach).  On occasion see an eel and the sunken plane right past the rope bouy.  You used to be able to snorkel to it but they stopped it a few years back.

The waters are  over fished out by the locals,  very few sea life remains.

Save snorkeling excursions for other ports of call.

Take care