Dublin Dumped!

kilm

Chose this cruise as highly recommended by friends and to celebrate the 70th birthday of dear friend. 7 passengers booked specifically for the Dublin stop/birthday celebration. We've been notified that port cancelled and day added to Liverpool. Conveniently, notice of the cancellation came two days after our ability to cancel/change the cruise. Although Liverpool has attractions, just not the Irish experience. Very disappointing again since we booked specific to Dublin --lots of Irish in our clan/group. We had planned an excursion and to reserve a Pub stop to celebrate the birthday girl.Think that Apex should have offered something more: ship credit, special birthday dining opportunity, spa offer for birthday girl, excursion coverage, something! Understand this affects the many other passengers, but when 7 people get together to plan a cruise to celebrate, we feel cheated. Just hope this isn't indicative of what to expect on our May cruise to the British Isles! Stay tuned!

Sorry for the change in your itinerary, but sometimes I just shake my head at some of the expectations of passengers.  Really? More credits or freebies? These are cruises, being taken in uncertain times, and there is no guarantee of anything. Just have to roll with the punches. I'm sure the celebration can be done elsewhere.

• Like 8

Hi

Doesn't your cruise call at Cobh (Cork)? Or Belfast.

Visit the Blarney Stone or Jameson’s brewery from Cobh.

Some great pubs with the same Guinness you get in Dublin,,and cheaper.

If you overnight in Liverpool there is a great Irish pub called The Liffey,,you could imagine yourself in Dublin in there.😉

1 hour ago, kilm said:

Chose this cruise as highly recommended by friends and to celebrate the 70th birthday of dear friend. 7 passengers booked specifically for the Dublin stop/birthday celebration. We've been notified that port cancelled and day added to Liverpool. Conveniently, notice of the cancellation came two days after our ability to cancel/change the cruise. Although Liverpool has attractions, just not the Irish experience. Very disappointing again since we booked specific to Dublin --lots of Irish in our clan/group. We had planned an excursion and to reserve a Pub stop to celebrate the birthday girl.Think that Apex should have offered something more: ship credit, special birthday dining opportunity, spa offer for birthday girl, excursion coverage, something! Understand this affects the many other passengers, but when 7 people get together to plan a cruise to celebrate, we feel cheated. Just hope this isn't indicative of what to expect on our May cruise to the British Isles! Stay tuned!

@kilm: I am very sorry to hear that this has hit you and your group so hard.  And I see that you are new to the Cruise Critic boards.  I am puzzled about the timing, though, as we are on the same cruise.  We were notified (through our travel agent) on February 15 that the Dublin port stop had been replaced with an overnight in Liverpool.  Others on the Roll Call for this cruise, who booked directly with Celebrity, reported being notified the same day. The final payment date was March 14, so I am surprised to hear that you were not notified of this change until after it was too late to change or cancel.

(The Roll Call can be found here if you want to join: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767552-celebrity-apex-may-14-2022-british-isles/.)

For what it is worth, the problem apparently is that there is construction at the Port of Dublin, due in part to increased commercial traffic as a result of BREXIT.  Because of this, cruise ship stops in Dublin have been cut in half.  

Tom & Judy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kilm said:

while I do feel bad for this situation since it was a big part of your trip, I also feel bad that others keep reminding you to roll with the punch or know that stuff happens.

You have a right to be annoyed and it sounds like it was more than just a port stop, it was a special stop and celebration.   These threads can be a bit rough and cold at times.   Peace out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kilm said:

This did NOT just happen.  It has been on this board for weeks.  Did you just get around to checking your email or cruise planner?  Did you only get notified today?  Did you read your cruise contract before you signed it, accepted the terms?  It is clearly spelled out in the contract.  Now you want a special offer for the birthday girl and the Irish clan, not going to happen.  Make the best of it, as others have noted, Liverpool is a fun place.  

8 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

while I do feel bad for this situation since it was a big part of your trip, I also feel bad that others keep reminding you to roll with the punch or know that stuff happens.

You have a right to be annoyed and it sounds like it was more than just a port stop, it was a special stop and celebration.   These threads can be a bit rough and cold at times.   Peace out.

Nothing cold about stating the facts.  

• Like 1

@kilmit is very unfortunate if you were looking forward to Dublin.  I know it was your first post here so welcome to Cruise Critic.  There have been several previous threads on this topic.  In fact you can easily search any topic for previous information.  I am linking a recent previous thread with a lot of details and comments for you.

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

This did NOT just happen.  It has been on this board for weeks.  Did you just get around to checking your email or cruise planner?  Did you only get notified today?  Did you read your cruise contract before you signed it, accepted the terms?  It is clearly spelled out in the contract.  Now you want a special offer for the birthday girl and the Irish clan, not going to happen.  Make the best of it, as others have noted, Liverpool is a fun place.  

stop scolding.  not nice.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

stop scolding.  not nice.

Oh please, I am not a comfort dog.  Shall I share with you what happened on my first trip to Ireland, Dublin included, when they were DELUGED with rain.  Many of our planned day trips, areas of Dublin included, Killarney National Park overflowing, Dingle a mess, Galway... were altered beyond recognition of what we booked or canceled altogether.  What did we do, we rolled with the punches and di what we could, our driver made safe substitutions, very much altered what we anticipated, but it was what it was, seems like Celebrity is doing the same.  Oh and BTW, of course this was out of control of the driver we hired, did I ask him for anything special, NO of course not, it was in our agreement, it happens, we still had a fantastic trip and we all made the best of it.  

Edited by LGW59

Just now, LGW59 said:

Oh please, I am not a comfort dog.  Shall I share with you what happened on my first trip to Ireland, Dublin included, when they were DELUGED with rain.  Many of our planned day trips, areas of Dublin included, Killarney National Park overflowing, Dingle a mess, Galway... were altered beyond recognition of what we booked or canceled altogether.  What did we do, we rolled with the punches and di what we could, our driver made safe substitutions, very much altered what we anticipated, but it was what it was, seems like Celebrity is doing the same.  

what do you want a star.   I mean you had to tough it up and so everyone else should.

Again, your reply was a bit scolding. stop  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

what do you want a star.   I mean you had to tough it up and so everyone else should.

No star needed or wanted, clearly you ignored what I wrote, we sucked it up and rolled with the punches and still had a great time.  

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

No star needed or wanted, clearly you ignored what I wrote, we sucked it up and rolled with the punches and still had a great time.  

Glad you had a great time.  Kindness goes a long way, your post 8 wasn’t  particularly kind. 

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Sorry, but this is pot calling kettle. You aren't helping.

OP, I can understand that you are upset. This was your first post on Cruise Critic, but I'm not sure if this is your first cruise. It sounds like it is.

First, you have to understand that no cruise line guarantees that every planned itinerary stop will happen. Itineraries frequently change; sometimes well in advance of sailing, sometimes on the day of the visit. If a specific port is of importance then you should give strong consideration to doing a land vacation instead.  The cruise lines are not going to give out freebies because of a missed port.

Instead of letting this ruin your cruise, how about a change of attitude, roll with it, and find another way to celebrate this birthday. I'm quite confident you can find an alternate excursion  and another Irish pub in a different port.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please remember people, the OP is brand new to this site.   We were all in that position once.  Welcome Kilm.  Please do come back.  This site is often a huge help especially the ports section and the roll calls.  It is okay to be disappointed with changes when you were really looking forward to and planning special events in a given port that has been cancelled.  I wonder why your ship didn't anchor off Dun Laoghaire for the port of Dublin.

Flights from Liverpool to Dublin are only abut an hour, so I wonder if you could do that,  as big ben suggested.  I think someone said you are overnight in Liverpool. 

Our cruise in July starts in Dublin and we are flying there non stop a few days ahead.  I hope it doesn't cancel but we'll have to deal with it if it does.  

I hope your cruise works out for you and your friend has a wonderful 70th birthday celebration.

• Like 5

Unfortunately, ports do get canceled and cruisers do feel very frustrated; however, this was something very special that a lot of you were looking forward to celebrating.  Hopefully, you can use one of the suggestions made above to help ease the pain.  Just being together and celebrating will help, but not alleviate the pain/frustration you felt when posting.  It seems like the timing of notification did not allow you time to cancel, but maybe you were unaware about the roll call; maybe your TA did not make you aware of this.  Just try to contact everyone and find a solution that will work and allow you to celebrate in a different place.  Your friend will just be happy to share her special day with all of you.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

@kilm, I hope your party can arrange a few days pre- or post-cruise in Dublin. There is much to see and do there. 

I understand your disappointment and I hope that it doesn't turn you off of crusing. As mentioned above, ports can change or be canceled, sometimes just hours or less before the ship is scheduled to arrive. We have experienced both and have had three scheduled ports canceled this summer. We will pivot, move on, and learn about new places. 

I'm sorry you got the notice so late. That is highly unusual. 

When we overnighted in Liverpool a few years ago, we toured with Busy Bus both days: one day to the Lake District and one day to North Wales. It was delightful. 

Happy 70th birthday to your friend. I'm having a milestone birthday of my own today. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

when they were DELUGED with rain.  Many of our planned day trips, areas of Dublin included, Killarney National Park overflowing, Dingle a mess, Galway... were altered beyond recognition of what we booked or canceled altogether.  

Well!  I hope you demanded a refund from the cruise line for not rescheduling to a sunny day, or, even better, making sure it didn't rain that day!       (TIC)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Unfortunately, ports do get canceled and cruisers do feel very frustrated; however, this was something very special that a lot of you were looking forward to celebrating.  Hopefully, you can use one of the suggestions made above to help ease the pain.  Just being together and celebrating will help, but not alleviate the pain/frustration you felt when posting.  It seems like the timing of notification did not allow you time to cancel, but maybe you were unaware about the roll call; maybe your TA did not make you aware of this.  Just try to contact everyone and find a solution that will work and allow you to celebrate in a different place.  Your friend will just be happy to share her special day with all of you.  

Second the thought that you can make some nice lemonade out of your lemons and still have a great celebration.  The people you are with and making the best of things can lead you to some magical memories.

@kilm, welcome to the boards!  Hopefully, the folks that came off harshly didn't mean to.  It's not for us to judge or rate someone else's feelings.

(I understand how disappointing it can be when your plans go sideways - we were all in for a family trip to Ireland in 2020 that got scuttled due to covid.  Spent a lot of time doing genealogy research for my great-grandma,  Minnie O'Keefe, contacting distant relatives, reserving lodging, etc.  Unfortunately, although we can travel now, the reason I set up the trip - my Dad - is no longer here and my heart is just not into rescheduling at this time).

Cheers,

• Like 3

There is something amiss here.  Since others knew over a month ago, did the OP’s travel agent drop the ball?  If the OP had no travel agent, did no one receive any notice of the change?  Perhaps it was overlooked among many other emails from Celebrity?  

It’s unfortunate timing, to be sure, that the OP learned of this two days after payment was made, but I really doubt that in this case that is when notice of the change was given.