HAL Posts 2022 European Covid Requirements

rwmiller

As of March 25, HAL has posted the following regarding European sailings:

Updated March 25, 2022

Until further notice, these are the requirements for our cruise guests on European sailings: 

Vaccines:  For these cruises the definition of “fully vaccinated” is at least 14 days and no more than 180 days (6 months) since the last dose in the vaccine series of an approved COVID-19 vaccine for guests ages 5 years of age and older.  A booster dose is required for guests whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 6 months (180 days) to be considered “fully vaccinated”.  

Testing:  Guests may be required to produce a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel. Please check with your airline and the arrival country’s requirements in advance of travel. Holland America Line does not require testing for travel to/from/within Europe above and beyond any governmental requirements, but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation. 

Masks:  All guests are required to wear masks always covering their nose and mouth when indoors and outdoors when physical distancing cannot be maintained, as well as during embarkation, disembarkation and when on transportation. Exceptions are made while guests are eating or drinking or when in their own stateroom.

My takeaway - Booster shots required for most, no precruise testing but masks required to be worn on board. Lots of differences from the rules for cruises leaving the US. 

Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Laminator said:

It sounds to me like HAL is NOT requiring a test to board. 

9 minutes ago, Laminator said:

It sounds to me like HAL is NOT requiring a test to board. 

Yes, I understand that.  I think we'll bring some of our Abbott At Home proctored tests to be safe for our cruise leaving 5/15 from Rotterdam on the Volendam.  The Netherlands is also not requiring testing for fully vaccinated travelers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Yes, I understand that.  I think we'll bring some of our Abbott At Home proctored tests to be safe for our cruise leaving 5/15 from Rotterdam on the Volendam.  The Netherlands is also not requiring testing for fully vaccinated travelers.

They just changed that requirement fortunately. We are leaving for Amsterdam June 3rd for a June 5th cruise. 

Why was this last part included?

..... but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation. 

What test would we need to take on the day of embarkation? Only if we have symptoms? Only if one of the countries on the cruise itinerary require a -ve test?

I just received this survey from HAL 5 minutes ago. It asked it I've been vaccinated and boosted and if others were not vaccinated and boosted on the ship would it increase my plans of travelling, decrease my plans or it would not matter.

image.thumb.png.1ceb213548061af3eb6b42f3e75bcf30.png

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 5

Just now, Laminator said:

I just received this survey from HAL 5 minutes ago. It asked it I've been vaccinated and boosted and if others were not on the ship would it increase my plans of travelling, decrease my plans or it would not matter.

image.thumb.png.1ceb213548061af3eb6b42f3e75bcf30.png

I also just received it.

• Like 3

Just received as well. We are 2 dose vaccinated and boosted and choose that our plans for travelling would increase if all are the same. My thoughts are that this would decrease Covid testing and mask requirements.

• Like 4

This was a rather sloppy job of editing to update the requirements.  I'm also thinking they didn't update the mask requirements from last summer.   Many of the European countries have dropped mask requirements, so it isn't following local guidelines.  So, why would they be requiring masks for Europe when they aren't requiring them in the US?   I think they need to revisit this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

This was a rather sloppy job of editing to update the requirements.  I'm also thinking they didn't update the mask requirements from last summer.   Many of the European countries have dropped mask requirements, so it isn't following local guidelines.  So, why would they be requiring masks for Europe when they aren't requiring them in the US?   I think they need to revisit this.

Yes, it does read like the mask policy is not in line with the current sailings from the US.

Thank you for posting this update!  I've been closely monitoring the HAL site for such an update.  Our Volendam cruise departs Rotterdam on July 31, 2022.  We received our boosters back in October, 2021, more than 180 days prior to embarkation.  I'm wondering if this means we need another booster prior to our cruise?  Hmmmmm...  Happy to read that testing will not be required prior to travel, however, I'm wondering what does "beyond governmental requirements" mean?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fkfad said:

Thank you for posting this update!  I've been closely monitoring the HAL site for such an update.  Our Volendam cruise departs Rotterdam on July 31, 2022.  We received our boosters back in October, 2021, more than 180 days prior to embarkation.  I'm wondering if this means we need another booster prior to our cruise?  Hmmmmm...  Happy to read that testing will not be required prior to travel, however, I'm wondering what does "beyond governmental requirements" mean?

I read it to mean that if your original series of vaccines is more than 180 days ago, you need a booster. There was not a requirement for a second booster after a certain time period.

The "beyond governmental requirements" would mean that if an individual country requires testing to enter, then you will need to be tested. We are fortunate that we are only visiting 2 countries and both have dropped their testing requirement for vaccinated travelers.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, fkfad said:

I'm wondering if this means we need another booster prior to our cruise? 

No you will not need another booster.  The EU guideline is 270 days, but some countries have shortened it to 190 days.  However this only applies to those who have primary course vaccinations only.  If you have one booster you are good to go!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Many of the European countries have dropped mask requirements, so it isn't following local guidelines

Yes and no.  Much of the masking requirements have been dropped however masks are still required at airport terminals and during flights to most European countries.  Two UK airlines dropped the onboard masking requirement for flights from UK to specific countries, but still require them for flights to other countries.  Very confusing.

I believe (meaning "I hope") that HAL has taken the conservative viewpoint and mandating masks until there is clarity across Europe and masking requirement removed in its entirety.  Then HAL will follow.

• Like 2

Now if the US would get rid of the testing.  Of course HAL is not required to test as the protocol is optional.   

I got the survey a few weeks ago and said yes we are vaccinated and no, it is not my business if anyone else is 

Edited by Mary229
  • Haha 1

If you go to the FAQ page https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-europe.html there is a lot more information on boosters and testing. 

There discussions on testing is a bit confusing. They are pointing back to country entry requirements as the only reason for testing yet they recommend testing prior to flying so that you don't find out you have a problem after you arrive although with no required embarkation test, how would you find out? See the specific question below for their wording:

If I’ve received the COVID-19 vaccine, am I still required to have a pre-travel COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship? 

Holland America Line does not require testing for travel to/from/within Europe above and beyond any governmental requirements, but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation. Guests may be required to produce a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel. Please check with your airline and the arrival country’s requirements in advance of travel.

Our cruise leaves mid May so I hope they resolve some of the confusion before then.

Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

No you will not need another booster.  The EU guideline is 270 days, but some countries have shortened it to 190 days.  However this only applies to those who have primary course vaccinations only.  If you have one booster you are good to go!

Thank you for that clarification. 👍 

• Like 3

All of you who are saying that you think you won't need to be tested prior to boarding, read that policy again--it seems to indicate that testing can be required on boarding day--

"...but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation. "   Seems pretty clear to me that y'all will be tested prior to boarding.

HAL would want the ship to be clear of covid on embarkation day.  Watch out for the wishful thinking creeping into interpretations or hasty reading. . .IMHO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

All of you who are saying that you think you won't need to be tested prior to boarding, read that policy again--it seems to indicate that testing can be required on boarding day--

"...but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation. "   Seems pretty clear to me that y'all will be tested prior to boarding.

HAL would want the ship to be clear of covid on embarkation day.  Watch out for the wishful thinking creeping into interpretations or hasty reading. . .IMHO.

Time will tell.

However, I think it is more likely that boarding day testing will be the result of individual countries on an itinerary requiring it not HAL. Whatever the case turns out to be, we'll comply and enjoy our trip.

• Like 3