Intercontinental Business Class flights

7 minutes ago, tnsauerkraut said:

I understand that RSCC offers business class fares free on intercontinental cruises.  My husband worries that these flights would be the worst - several stops, crappy airports and seats.  Can anyone offer some info on this?

If you paid the specials fees, they will work with you—also present them with what you’d like and see if they can work with that.  Regent has contracts with airlines.  I prefer to take the air credit and book myself-if you book far out you can get some pretty good deals—also mileage programs works good.

• Like 1

Travelling to/from Central America (Panama) I would never EVER trust our comfort to the whims of Regent.  Particularly seeing the recent down graded ‘included’ hotels they are using in Miami.  Take the air credit, and travel in comfort!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tnsauerkraut said:

I understand that RSCC offers business class fares free on intercontinental cruises.  My husband worries that these flights would be the worst - several stops, crappy airports and seats.  Can anyone offer some info on this?

In 500+ nights, I have never been disappointed although I do go the (refunded) deviation fee route. I would never book directly these days as any change in plans will bork your flights. If you book through Regent, they will get you there and back again...a more pleasant holiday.

• Like 3

For the first time ever we have chosen to use Regent's air, we paid the deviation fee and could not have booked our flights to Europe any better our selves. You need to take Covid into account anymore. One stop from Denver to Venice, then one stop on the way back. 

• Like 1

For our first Regent cruise coming up in May, we decided to wait and see what Regent would propose without deviation. The flights they gave us were perfect, and exactly what we would have chosen with or without deviation. I suppose it depends a lot on your itinerary. For us, it was Los Angeles to London and on to Nice, and return from London. Non-stops across the pond, business class on British Airways. Can’t do better than that. No deviation required. We are very much impressed. YMMV

• Like 1

We chose to take the credit and arrange our own flights. Regent didn’t offer a non stop from Heathrow to Chicago without us having to paying an additional fee. And no non stop was offered at all from Chicago to Barcelona. 

There is a sticky on the topic. 
We deviate and have our TA work our flights as soon as possible. We want our flights handled by Regent since things can change ( including embark port ).

Cancellation of a past cruise (after final payment) did not mean I had to jump thru hoops to make sure I canceled reservations I had made. 
Our flights through Regent have been very nice. 

And, as mentioned above, the key is to do your own research (or have your TA do it...but I'm a hands on guy).  Price it out so you'll know how it compares to the air credit which is shown right on the cruise page on the web site.  If you have miles, you can also see what the availability is (even more than a year out...just look at the availability as close to the dates as possible to get a sense).  Note that if you arrange your own air you'll lose the Regent transfers.  Not a big deal in, say, Miami, but rather a bigger deal in London (85 miles to Southampton).

Your TA can find out what Regent will offer as the norm for your location and the cruise start.  You may find it is exactly what you want.  If not, your TA can price it out as a deviation (I put it that way because the deviation fee is for special handling...there could also be a fare difference) before you commit.  Then you will have all the data needed to make an informed decision.

And, look forward to the day you reach Platinum status where the deviation fees are waived.  The best single perk of that level.

• Like 1

I have always been able to get the flights we want. Before we became Platinum we paid the deviation and it was worth it. I tell my TA what flights we want 270 days prior to cruise and have always gotten those flights. I research the flights I want. I used to get flights with miles prior to pandemic. However, since Covid I find it easier to let Regent book the flights even if we have enough miles. We had three cruises cancelled and I didn't have to worry about the flights. Regent took care of cancellations. It's very rare I can find business class flights with the credit Regent provides. If you have no issue flying economy, then take the credit and book your flights and save some money. It's an individual choice.

We were scheduled to do a Bali to Hong Kong cruise in February 2020 and decided to book our own flights at a better price than the Regent allowance. This was when covid was just starting. We were fearful of being offloaded somewhere and having to figure out how to get home at a cost which we couldn't predict so we cancelled at the last minute. As it turned out, the cruise stopped about halfway through the cruise and offloaded the passengers in Bangkok. Had we booked with Regent, they would have gotten us home.

We have an upcoming cruise in Europe and we did not hesitate to book with Regent because of continued uncertainties. In fact, they changed our disembarkation port a few weeks ago. When I called to change our flights (we had paid the deviation fee), they couldn't come up with an acceptable schedule on disembarkation day so they are paying for our hotel and we are flying home the next day on a really great connection. 

So, for me, there are several variables that go into the decision to use Regent or not and many of those come down to personal preferences. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mystictraveler said:

We were scheduled to do a Bali to Hong Kong cruise in February 2020 and decided to book our own flights at a better price than the Regent allowance. This was when covid was just starting. We were fearful of being offloaded somewhere and having to figure out how to get home at a cost which we couldn't predict so we cancelled at the last minute. As it turned out, the cruise stopped about halfway through the cruise and offloaded the passengers in Bangkok. Had we booked with Regent, they would have gotten us home.

We have an upcoming cruise in Europe and we did not hesitate to book with Regent because of continued uncertainties. In fact, they changed our disembarkation port a few weeks ago. When I called to change our flights (we had paid the deviation fee), they couldn't come up with an acceptable schedule on disembarkation day so they are paying for our hotel and we are flying home the next day on a really great connection. 

So, for me, there are several variables that go into the decision to use Regent or not and many of those come down to personal preferences. Good luck!

I was also scheduled on that trip and was denied boarding due to the fact we transited via HK. This was a fluke in the system when everything was a giant UNKNOWN. However, as we had booked via Regent Air, they juggled everything to get us home and we would up with a free 10 day stay in Bali.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I was also scheduled on that trip and was denied boarding due to the fact we transited via HK. This was a fluke in the system when everything was a giant UNKNOWN. However, as we had booked via Regent Air, they juggled everything to get us home and we would up with a free 10 day stay in Bali.

I actually recall your postings. We had booked the land package in Bali and were staying a couple of nights in Qatar on the way. Had a fantastic trip lined out but in the end we made the right decision.

12 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I remember that post as well, it was really tough! LOL 🙂  In this day and age I probably won't do anything different that regent air, especially overseas, in the States I can take the credit and do something else.

TS:

Reference Post #8, above as to a separate Sticky on this topic.  Refer you to "Regent Flights--with & without Deviation".

See my Post #882 on this very-long lasting topic.  That narrative (elongated, as usual) provides an example as to why in these still-COVID impacted days requiring international travel w/intermediate stops: 

Utilize Regent Air AFTER doing your own homework.  

It was somewhat of a miracle for us to have been able to jump through all the hoops required to meet Lufthansa Air; and German and Spanish Government health/vaccination/testing requirements allowing successful arrival at Barcelona.  Constant airline changes in times and availability of connecting flights.  (See, specifically comments regarding British Air.  

Regent did the hard work to close the hasp--which was not really firmed-up until within two weeks of our leaving for the airport.  That was cutting it rather-close.  

GOARMY!