Unusual Question

Roser

My husband and I are both 65, retired, and each of us has a disabling physical condition.  No wheelchairs yet, but oxygen and decreased mobility in play.  We’ve cruised a few times in the past and really enjoyed it.  Trying to decide now whether to take the Panama Canal cruise on the Eurodam as one last cruise.  Caveat:  it’s highly likely that we won’t be able to walk the piers at ports and will simply stay on board for the entire cruise.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, and was it worth it to you? Do you have regrets?  I *think* I’ll be fine with it but I do wonder how we’ll feel when the day comes that we’re sitting in Antigua or HMC and cannot go ashore.

Thanks for thoughts!

I think, of any cruise itinerary, that would be the one best suited for your situation. It’s not very “port intensive”, but you’ll still have a great experience if you stay onboard.

You might also consider an Alaska cruise. Tons of gorgeous scenery straight from the ship. 

• Like 7

We have taken a Panama Canal cruise before and I   think you will enjoy it.  Holland America is very good at accommodating people with disabilities. To see the canal you can stay on the ship and go to the open deck on the front or the promenade deck, no need to get off at all.  It is a fascinating site to see.

• Like 2

I agree that either the Panama Canal or Alaska would be great choices.  The Panama Canal has great scenery for the one day the ship is in the canal, along with entering and leaving other ports.  But Alaska has great scenery you can see from the ship on most days of the cruise.  In either case, I would strongly recommend getting at least a verandah cabin.  It is so nice just going out your sliding door to see the sights rather having to go out on deck, if you have mobility problems.  If you do this, pay close attention to which side of the ship your cabin is on.  Some people say it doesn't matter, but we have always found that one side of the ship is better than the other overall for most ports...you just have to figure it out, which is often hard to do ahead of time, but can be done.

I am 50 years old and am in a wheelchair from a spinal cord injury at age 23. My wife and I often stay onboard during port days and honestly, those are some of the best times on the ship! Go and enjoy it while you can!

• Like 6

For peace of mind, would you consider bringing along a younger family member or friend who could light assist as needed?  If you end up not needing any light help, then that person also had a great vacation.  But, if that person made sure you had wheelchair assist off and on the ship, or other light duties, it may be worth the added expense of an second cabin.

People love having the ship to themselves on port days - plus there are specials at the spa on port days.

One other more passive cruise is the New England fall colors cruise -starting in Montreal and going maybe all the way down to Fort Lauderdale, or getting off in Boston. Some nice port stops in small towns along the way, but lots of pretty countryside and islands to just enjoy onboard in this part of the world from the ship too. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Some of my best cruise days were when I stayed on the ship.  You get virtually to yourself.

You could also rent a mobility scooter to get around with. You might be able to get off in some ports. If the ship is tendering, you would not be able to get off with the scooter. There are several companies that rent an d your scooter would be in your cabin, when you leave she ship you leave the scooter in your cabin.

Norma

My ex in-laws   spent entire cruises  staying on board.  They only left their cabin for meals.  They went to the Lido for breakfast and lunch and the main dining room for supper. For whatever reason they thought that room service cost money. They never went to any of the specialty restaurants.  My ex and I went on numerous cruises with them and  earned enough to go from being a day 1 cruiser to being  21 days away from  getting to 4 stars.  They had no disabilities when we first traveled with them.  They just wanted to sit on their balcony and watch the world go by.  They were 5 star before we ever set foot on a HAL ship.  This is just what they enjoyed doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Roser said:

My husband and I are both 65, retired, and each of us has a disabling physical condition.  No wheelchairs yet, but oxygen and decreased mobility in play.  We’ve cruised a few times in the past and really enjoyed it.  Trying to decide now whether to take the Panama Canal cruise on the Eurodam as one last cruise.  Caveat:  it’s highly likely that we won’t be able to walk the piers at ports and will simply stay on board for the entire cruise.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, and was it worth it to you? Do you have regrets?  I *think* I’ll be fine with it but I do wonder how we’ll feel when the day comes that we’re sitting in Antigua or HMC and cannot go ashore.

Thanks for thoughts!

I would check with the cruise line regarding the oxygen.

Rent scooters! I’m 52 and have mobility issues from MS. Have gotten by in the past with a cane, trekking poles and the pier pedi cabs. I’ve rented a scooter for my cruise next week and will be able to now make those long pier trips with no issues!! Other than the rude people that jump in front of you to get on the elevator!

Similar situation.

Had a total left knee replacement last November.

Had a 10 day Caribbean cruise booked for February. Left knee doing OK.

1 week before the cruise, my right knee goes out. Very unstable. We did not have insurance & the cruiseline said we would forfeit everything, so we went.

Used a cane & heavy brace.

Used the wheelchair services at all airports. They were very nice.

Also used the wheelchair service at the port. I walk so slow there would have been a big backup behind me of people if I didn't.

Cancelled all excursions except one. There was really nothing close by a most ports so stayed on the ship.

I was not to mobile but was able to make it to all the restaurants....oink, oink !

Have an Alaska cruise on the Ziederdam the beginning of May. Have been to Alaska many times so I  know there is a lot right at the ports so will probably get off the ship there.

Experience definitely hampered but better than taking the loses. Alaska is really beautiful. We have a nice cabin with a big balcony. I highly recommend it.

Getting a new right knee a week after we get back.

• Like 3

That sounds like a great idea.  Try to get an aft cabin so you can spend the Canal day viewing the works right from your cabin so you don't have to move around too much.  Same with Alaska.  Aft cabins are often the best 'side' of the ship when you're doing scenic cruising!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roser said:

Thanks for thoughts!

We very seldom get off the ship anymore, not because of health reasons but because we only sail out of Florida and only to the Caribbean because we hate to fly. We've been to some of the islands over 25 times. For us the ship is the vacation destination with fine dining, pretty good entertainment, some nice activities like Trivia and lectures while meeting other people. For us there is nothing better than sitting in a deck chair on your veranda or out on deck with a good book watching the ocean pass by. Look at it that way and things will work out and you will enjoy your cruise.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My mom just went on a 28 Panama Canal cruise (San Diego to Fort Lauderdale and then back) and back and she didn't get off the ship once in FLL because it was required.    

I do the Mexican Riviera cruise at least once a year because it's close by my home and I never get off the ship.    

The ship could do crazy 8's in the middle of the ocean for all I care 🙂

My only recommendation is to make sure you get at least a veranda or a Neptune suite if it's in your budget.

• Like 4

I hardly ever post, but you guys struck a chord.

1. HAL is the perfect line to do this. Staff so caring and kind.

2. What about last cruise in Alaska that then goes down through Panama Canal.

3. Rental scooters great idea, as is family member assist.

4. Have never forgotten our first cruise. First port it was sleeting, we were doing this port again, so being a little less adventurous (read scared), we stayed on board. Had cocktails in hot tub on main deck, whole pool deck to ourselves, amazing view....

5. Definitely balcony cabin, private yet still amazing.

6. Dont say it may be your last. Its the perfect unpack once, many destination break. This may be your ticket to freedom.

7. Go, have an amazing time, and come back here and let us know how it all went.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Boldly go....

• Like 7

On 3/29/2022 at 8:13 PM, Roser said:

but oxygen and decreased mobility in play

This brought up a yellow flag for me and I tried to take a look.  Oxygen tank or concentrator:

oxygen.thumb.JPG.05e1a20a318d12c3d2a5c37f688264c7.JPG

If it's  a concentrator, Bon Voyage.

Roy

I see others have suggested renting a scooter, that is a good idea, but if you feel you still have too much mobility for that rent walkers.  Or as I did I bought one at the flea market dirt cheap.  I use a walker when in situations where I am going to have to stand too long.  I can walk pretty well but can't stand in one spot for more than a couple of minutes.  Which is of course all the time on a ship.  Line up here line up their.  I can fold it up and get it on a tender myself if necessary so I can go ashore all the time.  You could try one out at home and see how it goes.