Jones act

jeep1

Question for all my knowledgeable cruise critics. I am currently getting off a holland America ship on May 4 th question I am wondering can I get on discovery princess on the 4 th and end up in Seattle? Thanks in advance 

39 minutes ago, jeep1 said:

Question for all my knowledgeable cruise critics. I am currently getting off a holland America ship on May 4 th question I am wondering can I get on discovery princess on the 4 th and end up in Seattle? Thanks in advance 

First off, what is the itinerary of the HAL ship, and what is the itinerary of Discovery Princess?  But, if both cruises meet the PVSA (not Jones Act), then the fact that you are joining two cruises on two different ships, so there is no linkage per the PVSA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

First off, what is the itinerary of the HAL ship, and what is the itinerary of Discovery Princess?  But, if both cruises meet the PVSA (not Jones Act), then the fact that you are joining two cruises on two different ships, so there is no linkage per the PVSA.

Does the itineraries of the 2 ships really matter (as long as they are both compliant with the PVSA) as the passenger will be going on 2 different ships?

• Like 1

There is no information on the Princess web site regarding May sailings. From other sites it appears the Discovery is or was scheduled for a 4 day sailing Vancouver, Ketchikan, Seattle. If this is the case then there should be no violation of the PVSA as you are changing vessels and sailing from Canada to the US. You will have to check the covid testing requirements to board the Discovery to see if it is doable.

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Does the itineraries of the 2 ships really matter (as long as they are both compliant with the PVSA) as the passenger will be going on 2 different ships?

Not really, just wondering.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jeep1 said:

Yes first is from Vancouver back to Vancouver. Discovery is Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle. Yes not sure on testing shall call holland America and ask if they will provide covid test

Both individual cruises are legal.  And, even if you were staying on the same ship for both itineraries, since the first cruise starts in Canada, and the second ends in US, there is no PVSA involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeep1 said:

Yes first is from Vancouver back to Vancouver. Discovery is Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle. Yes not sure on testing shall call holland America and ask if they will provide covid test

You are good as gold in terms of the PVSA, which only applies to cruises originating AND ending in US ports.  I highly doubt that Holland would test you for another cruiseline without charge but I always say, it never hurts to ask.  All they can do is say no.  And you have a good back up plan in case they do say no. 

7 hours ago, jeep1 said:

Good question. See if you can get the title changed to the PVSA Act as the Jones Act only applies to commercial ships not cruise ships. 

Tom😀

7 hours ago, jeep1 said:

Thank you all!! So thinking holland last stop is Ketchikan 2days out will just do emed test! Perfect 

Since they are both Carnival Corporation ships and you're doing a S2S, HA may provide you with your testing at no charge.

I've watched youtubes with people doing side to side cruises where the first leg will test for the second leg very recently.  Paradeejay I think is the couple I just watched doing the side to side where carnival complementary tested them for the next cruise.