Drinks on Viking.

Dolebludger

We finished our TA yesterday. While studying the onboard habits of Viking cruisers, it never ceased to amaze us how much Viking cruisers drank…and drank…and drank some more. Morning, lunch, afternoon, before dinner, during dinner, after dinner — the heavy drinkers kept pounding back the booze. The SSBP must have been absolute heaven on earth for them.

24 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

We finished our TA yesterday. While studying the onboard habits of Viking cruisers, it never ceased to amaze us how much Viking cruisers drank…and drank…and drank some more. Morning, lunch, afternoon, before dinner, during dinner, after dinner — the heavy drinkers kept pounding back the booze. The SSBP must have been absolute heaven on earth for them.

Yes, it is😁

• Like 5

It always amazes me how some topics here inevitably bring out the "snark" ... tipping, dress codes, and now the SSBP.  Why does it matter to ANYONE what others choose to do with regards to buying or not buying the SSBP?  Why the judgement ( "heavy drinkers")?  As long as everyone behaves themselves; why does anyone care?  We often purchase the package for our own reasons and don't really care if we "break even".  Is that a problem for anyone?  Just an FYI ... if you have the SSBP and participate in an onboard wine tasting, martini tasting, or one time we did an Armagnac tasting in Torshavn ... you get a significant discount on the cost.  

• Like 15

5 hours ago, SJD117 said:

Wow!! you booked a cruise and studied the pax drinking habits - first time I've heard that one. Personally, we book cruises to meet and chat with others, not study their drinking habits.

Your study certainly isn't consistent with my experience on other cruise lines, both in my cruise ship working days and as a pax. Based on what we experienced on the Viking Sun, the average Viking pax is an amateur, when it comes to drinking on a cruise.

If you want to experience some serious drinkers, book a shorter cruise on P&O UK, P&O Australia or one of the US based mega ships.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I think it all depends on your tastes.  We had the SS package on our Iceland cruise last year.  What I found was that the included wines at lunch and dinner were sub-par.  With the package I could have a pre-dinner drink (like a Brandy Alexander) and then order specific wines by the glass that were much better than the daily wine.  Since the SS package was a promotion included on our trip, breaking even wasn't a concern and would not be if we were to purchase it on future cruises.  I did try a few wines that I didn't like...and then found some that were excellent.  It's more about drinking what you like vs. what they want to provide.  It's also about having a drink when you want it - not just at lunch or dinner.  Since Iceland was cold - an afternoon Irish Coffee was excellent!  We have an Amazon cruise booked for 2023, so it will be Pina Coladas by the pool.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

It's more about drinking what you like vs. what they want to provide. 

But, for those who are still dithering, you don't have to buy the drinks package to have access to the premium wines; they can all be purchased by the glass.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wander58 said:

I think it all depends on your tastes.  We had the SS package on our Iceland cruise last year.  What I found was that the included wines at lunch and dinner were sub-par.  With the package I could have a pre-dinner drink (like a Brandy Alexander) and then order specific wines by the glass that were much better than the daily wine.  Since the SS package was a promotion included on our trip, breaking even wasn't a concern and would not be if we were to purchase it on future cruises.  I did try a few wines that I didn't like...and then found some that were excellent.  It's more about drinking what you like vs. what they want to provide.  It's also about having a drink when you want it - not just at lunch or dinner.  Since Iceland was cold - an afternoon Irish Coffee was excellent!  We have an Amazon cruise booked for 2023, so it will be Pina Coladas by the pool.

You could not otherwise get a drink when you wanted one?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

But, for those who are still dithering, you don't have to buy the drinks package to have access to the premium wines; they can all be purchased by the glass.

I'm wondering about this statement. My recollection is that they'll sell a premium glass of wine if the bottle is open, but they won't open a new bottle unless it's for someone with the package. I'm not arguing the point, just wondering.  I strongly suspect that the specific policy could vary with the ship and/or the bottle in question.

By the way, I discovered on the last Viking cruise that their menu doesn't alway keep up with the on board inventory. I ordered a 2016 bottle and they poured a 2019 version before I realized the difference. Being a fan of aged wine, it was disappointing. The rest of the story, though, is that they didn't charge me for that bottle AND the next day offered a better aged wine at a discounted price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, austinetc said:

I'm wondering about this statement. My recollection is that they'll sell a premium glass of wine if the bottle is open, but they won't open a new bottle unless it's for someone with the package. I'm not arguing the point, just wondering.  I strongly suspect that the specific policy could vary with the ship and/or the bottle in question.

By the way, I discovered on the last Viking cruise that their menu doesn't alway keep up with the on board inventory. I ordered a 2016 bottle and they poured a 2019 version before I realized the difference. Being a fan of aged wine, it was disappointing. The rest of the story, though, is that they didn't charge me for that bottle AND the next day offered a better aged wine at a discounted price.

They’ll open a fresh bottle.  DH got a VERY generous pour at the end of the bottle of a Pinot Gris we were drinking.  I decided I wanted a glass, and a fresh bottle was opened up.  The bartender poured me as generous a glass as well of the same wine.  We did not have the SS package.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

You could not otherwise get a drink when you wanted one?

Of course you can.  I just find the SS package a great deal for $20 per day and find it easier than having to worry about the bar bill at the end of the cruise.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Based on what we experienced on the Viking Sun, the average Viking pax is an amateur, when it comes to drinking on a cruise.

If Viking cruisers are “amateurs” at drinking, I’d hate to know what the professionals consume.

Fortunately, the heavy drinkers don’t have to drive themselves home after the party. No car keys for them!

• Like 1

I had decided to skip the package for our next cruise (Venice to Istanbul), but have changed my mind. It occurred to me that one option is to taste whatever whiskey is on the shelf and if I don't like it, get something else without penalty. Same scenario applies at dinner. This will pay great dividends when I return to my hometown liquor store. Though in my fading years, I still have evolving likes and dislikes. The ship will be a grand 14 day tasting event. 

I emphasize that I'm not suggesting that anyone follow my lead. Buy the package, don't buy the package. Use your judgement. All I'm doing is presenting one point of view. If you find this thread distasteful (pun intended), please don't read it.

• Like 3

If you are looking for wines try a web site called Vivino. It will tell you about the wine, all you need to do is take a picture of the label and the app will tell you price, taste, recommended with….., and where it’s made. 

• Like 5

Re:  monitoring other pax.  At the Greek lunch buffet on Greek Odyssey (1st V cruise), I tried the feta cheese on offer.  It was one of the best quality, authentic Greek Feta cheeses I'd ever eaten. I was also really impressed with the quality of the many, many other varieties of other cheeses from Greece presented as well, some of which were new to me.  The entire buffet (all Greek) was fabulous -- I knew then what V calls Destination Focused Dining.  I then decided to ask for feta cheese when eating in MDR. The server found it for me!  Thereafter, she remembered us, and asked me every night if I wanted it.   I did!  On V, the staff could not do enough to please us.  We can't wait to go back on V.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 1:41 PM, JeriGail said:

We purchased the Silver Spirits package because we had a large FCV to use up before we boarded.  I had already upgraded our cabin and purchased optional excursions but needed something else to use up our remaining credits.  Otherwise, we would not have purchased it because we seldom upgrade wines and did not drink that much.  

It's too bad the vouchers don't carry over to OBC (I was told they would but that was a lie). In that scenario you could always "use up" credit by visiting the shops. I'm guessing my wife would be able to find a bauble in the jewelry store if it came to that 😊.

27 minutes ago, PRH said:

Why do people claim the SSP allows free or discounted tastings?

Because that is what they have experienced on the ship. Viking does offer free or discounted pricing on wine and spirits tastings for those who have the package, but not necessarily on all of them.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 8:54 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Because that is what they have experienced on the ship. Viking does offer free or discounted pricing on wine and spirits tastings for those who have the package, but not necessarily on all of them.

But how does one know about this other than hearsay?  Curious way to do business!  Is it a price limit like $30 for tasting or a discount on $70?