Early Departure in Barcelona

Harrietq

We make our much-anticipated return to Azamara 5 April. We booked our own air. We will make our own way to the ship in Lisbon, but decided that, owing to a brutally early departure from BCN, we’d buy a transfer from Azamara.

According to rep on phone, the first transfer bus leaves at - wait for it - 10am! Our flight is at 07:50. Are cabs easily available at the port at oh-dark-hundred? Or should I book with a service (Viator). 

As engaging as Barcelona is, we just can’t stay as we have commitments at home. I look forward to your wise counsel.

Cabs are usually available but I would book a transfer - welcome pickups or Suntransfers are both reliable.  You will need to check with Guest relations to be sure of the arrangements to come off that early re any customs clearance (I know you arrive in Barcelona the night before)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’d like some thoughts. We are overnight on another cruise where the ship is already in port . Pre covid we got a letter from Az through travel agent to say we could disembark early. TA has phoned Az twice and they say they are not allowing early disembarkation even though we are overnight! Complete nonsense and they are saying this is due to Covid!  

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Cabs are usually available but I would book a transfer - welcome pickups or Suntransfers are both reliable.  You will need to check with Guest relations to be sure of the arrangements to come off that early re any customs clearance (I know you arrive in Barcelona the night before)

Good advice all round. 

Phil 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lizee1979 said:

I’d like some thoughts. We are overnight on another cruise where the ship is already in port . Pre covid we got a letter from Az through travel agent to say we could disembark early. TA has phoned Az twice and they say they are not allowing early disembarkation even though we are overnight! Complete nonsense and they are saying this is due to Covid!  

I can’t imagine we are the only pax who have an early flight. For most of “flyover” country in the US, it’s difficult to get out of BCN without a multi-stop itinerary. 

I would think they’d be glad to see us out early to get started on the turnaround. If Azamara has an issue with our early departure on a docked, departure day, I’ll be one unhappy passenger (married to a livid passenger 😉).

Ports have specific rules, processes and staffing for managing passengers, baggage, customs, security.  The fact that the ship already cleared entry processes the day before may not remove all restrictions if port security staff doesn't start work till 7:30.

I like Barcelona as a destination; we've been there numerous times, but I wouldn't describe the airport there as fast or efficient.  10am would have been about the earliest I personally would have been comfortable booking a flight.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, uktog said:

I would arrange an early private transfer.  I always try to book ours through Jayride.com as they give several options and have reasonable prices 

• Thanks 1

I called Azamara a couple weeks ago to see how early we could depart because I’m not crazy about getting home at midnight and I wanted to change our flight. They said that we could depart any time after 1 a.m. since the ship docks the previous night.

Diana

• Thanks 1

I find it very strange that the first Azamara airport transfer bus does not leave until 10 a.m.  I have never been on an Azamara cruise whereby they don't want everyone off the ship by 9 a.m at the latest.  I would check with guest relations once on board.  They have a better idea of procedures than the office staff ashore.  If 10 a:m is the earliest time, maybe the concierge would be able to help with private transfers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Unless your ship is in Barcelona overnight, I doubt you will be cleared for disembarkation before 7:00-7:30.  You either need to change flights or stay overnight.

We dock at 7:00 the evening before.

6 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

I called Azamara a couple weeks ago to see how early we could depart because I’m not crazy about getting home at midnight and I wanted to change our flight. They said that we could depart any time after 1 a.m. since the ship docks the previous night.

Diana

Could you please tell me who this came from ? I’m going round in circles wanting the exact confirmation! 

2 hours ago, lizee1979 said:

Could you please tell me who this came from ? I’m going round in circles wanting the exact confirmation! 

I asked my agent to contact Azamara re-debarking for an early flight and she was told there was no problem. We are docked overnight and my documentation states all passengers should be off the ship by 9am unless they have purchased a late check out. 

I notice that Azamara Pursuit is now docked at Terminal B and not at the World Trade Center which is Azamaras usual spot. 

If Azamara is not using WTC anymore the walk off an into the city is not so easy. You have to rely on taxies available at the terminal and if leaving in the night I would arrange private pick up for sure.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

one benefit of Az is to use terminals closer to city center. Hope to use B instead of WTC is an exception. Maybe another ship used WTC. We used WTC with Oceania and it is much more convenient.

cheers

MouseBerry

On 4/1/2022 at 4:33 AM, Marmaduke said:

I find it very strange that the first Azamara airport transfer bus does not leave until 10 a.m.  I have never been on an Azamara cruise whereby they don't want everyone off the ship by 9 a.m at the latest.  I would check with guest relations once on board.  They have a better idea of procedures than the office staff ashore.  If 10 a:m is the earliest time, maybe the concierge would be able to help with private transfers.

Currently on the Quest and the latest AZ transfer is 8:15.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 12:09 PM, uktog said:

Is it also possible to book a taxi to the airport through Azamara? Was a concierge  service onboard? Is that something the concierge would do?

Ivi

2 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Is it also possible to book a taxi to the airport through Azamara? Was a concierge  service onboard? Is that something the concierge would do?

Ivi

There is a concierge onboard, they will book a car through their contacts, it is expensive though.  I would look at someone like Welcome Pickups for a car booking - very good service and half the price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, uktog said:

There is a concierge onboard, they will book a car through their contacts, it is expensive though.  I would look at someone like Welcome Pickups for a car booking - very good service and half the price

I agree. Do it it yourself, as using the concierge will *really* jack up the price. I've used Welcome Pickups a few times and always have found them good.

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just FYI, we flew out of Barcelona on April 3.  We had docked on the 2nd and spent a night because we’d been told we’d never make our 10:50 flight. There were  many cabs at the dock with no wait to take us to our hotel.   We arrived at the airport the next day before 7:30, breezed through check in and security, and were  on the concourse by 8:30, hours early.  Of course this extra day meant we had to get a Covid test in Barcelona and that was easy and efficient too.  Cost €45 each.  But we’d spent time in Barcelona before and I surely wish we’d left on the 2nd.  

• Like 1