Princess WiFi

JeffT237

Since this is our first time on a Princess ship as well as our first trip to Alaska we have some questions about the WiFi quality.  We've had WiFi packages on RCI in the Caribbean and generally have had good success, but it has been hit or miss at times.  We did purchase the Princess Plus so both our iPhones will have WiFi connectivity.  We only will use it for WiFi calling or FaceTime to communicate with people back home as well as iMessaging for texts.  We do not stream, watch movies or post pics/videos as we are not on social media.  

Thanks, any of your experiences with the WiFi would be appreciated.

Supremely hit or miss.

Last week on a MexRiv on the Majestic (during spring break, ~2900), internet was on the scale of 'Did I get dropped, or is it just that slow?'

This week on a CaliCoast (~2000? 2300?) it's working fine, but slower than my cellular connection... though ported at San Diego today, it's running unusually fast for me, at the pace where multi-gigabyte downloads are feasible.

Pre-COVID, post-MedallionNet, my Alaskan trips have fallen into the 'More than enough for general use.' category, though I haven't been on one post-COVID, and I heard unsubstantiated rumors that they switched satellite internet providers recently, which is why things have been spotty.

Not sure how what you're using works, but you'll probably have better luck overall if it's the 'burst' type, where you can record a brief message and it sends out, as opposed to live synchronized streaming.

• Like 1

WiFi in Alaska won't be stellar. The new MedallionNet WiFi can be excellent in certain parts of the world but don't count on anything great in Alaska. We sail on May 2nd and aren't counting on great WiFi.

11 minutes ago, Cuedon said:

Supremely hit or miss.

This is what we were expecting, iPhone 12 pro on Verizon, really most of our communications back home are via text so it sounds like it should work for us.  Also with the 4 days in port I think we'll be good to go.  Thanks for your feedback.

On the Enchanted it's been pretty good most of the time except for a time or two when satellite reception was poor. 

We managed to use Zoom at sea last Wed for 2 hours without any problem. 

Just returned from a transatlantic on the Regal. The worst WIFI at sea. Even in ports the WIFI was cutting out or slow. Connectivity was so bad that on an excursion we asked  had to use a restaurant 

WIFI to connect with our home as on the ship we could not get access. Most if not all passengers were given a credit on the voyage for the  "Slowest WIFI At Sea"

On 3/31/2022 at 7:05 PM, JeffT237 said:

Since this is our first time on a Princess ship as well as our first trip to Alaska we have some questions about the WiFi quality.  We've had WiFi packages on RCI in the Caribbean and generally have had good success, but it has been hit or miss at times.  We did purchase the Princess Plus so both our iPhones will have WiFi connectivity.  We only will use it for WiFi calling or FaceTime to communicate with people back home as well as iMessaging for texts.  We do not stream, watch movies or post pics/videos as we are not on social media.  

Thanks, any of your experiences with the WiFi would be appreciated.

The Wifi is always great with many repeaters around the ship.  The Internet latency and speed may be something else altogether.  In the far north, the satellite connection speeds are not so great.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The Wifi is always great with many repeaters around the ship.  The Internet latency and speed may be something else altogether.  In the far north, the satellite connection speeds are not so great.

This is evident by the great WhatsApp service even when the wifi signal is almost nonexistent. (at least calling people on the ship)

I can only relate to our sailing on the Regal in November 24-29 and Enchanted November 30-Dec 10. I was able to use my laptop during both cruise without issue. Helped to stay in touch with family and work.  Just had to sign out to use internet on my phone. These were Caribbean cruises. I thought the speed was very good. 

Good luck. Worst Wifi at sea. On our recent Sky transatlantic, a text of 7 words took 15 hrs to switch from pending to sent. The recipient didn't appreciate receiving it at 2:15am.

Let's see: it was caused by switching satellites, I mean too many people were using the system, I mean a part is broken, I mean it will be working when we reach land, I mean it never works so far out at sea, I mean...

You have been warned.

48 minutes ago, Peira said:

Worst Wifi at sea

48 minutes ago, Peira said:

You have been warned

I read some posts on the thread about the Sky transatlantic and the internet issues, but are the WiFi connectivity issues fleet wide and impacting all regions?  Some have reported they had a satisfactory experience on other ships.  I'm hoping at best we can send and receive a few texts, FaceTime or e-mails back home, realizing that being at sea and in Alaska that there will be times it will be hit and miss.  Not having a text go through for 15 hours would be frustrating and not what I'd expect.  We've had WiFi in the Caribbean on RCI ships and have found the service to be adequate for our needs, not anything like being on land based WiFi but generally we were able to connect when needed. Just trying to have a feel for what to expect for our upcoming cruise.

17 hours ago, eagletwo said:

I can only relate to our sailing on the Regal in November 24-29 and Enchanted November 30-Dec 10. I was able to use my laptop during both cruise without issue. Helped to stay in touch with family and work.  Just had to sign out to use internet on my phone. These were Caribbean cruises. I thought the speed was very good. 

We were on that Enchanted sailing.My husband worked on his laptop connected to Wifi for many hours over the course of 10 days with no problem. In March I either couldnt connect or would periodically get dropped. 

• Like 1

We have been on four ships and the Enchanted has been the best (only Royal class ship we have been on since the restart).  Location is a big factor with most of the Caribbean and eastern Central American being good. Back and worth to Hawaii was more sporadic. 

Received email from Princess that our transatlantic on the Enchanted this coming week will have times when the internet will not available.  Princess will be proving internet for free and refund (onboard credit) for any pre-purchased plans.  Also if you have PrincessPlus, you will get $10 per day onboard credit.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 9:46 AM, JeffT237 said:

I read some posts on the thread about the Sky transatlantic and the internet issues, but are the WiFi connectivity issues fleet wide and impacting all regions?  Some have reported they had a satisfactory experience on other ships.  I'm hoping at best we can send and receive a few texts, FaceTime or e-mails back home, realizing that being at sea and in Alaska that there will be times it will be hit and miss.  Not having a text go through for 15 hours would be frustrating and not what I'd expect.  We've had WiFi in the Caribbean on RCI ships and have found the service to be adequate for our needs, not anything like being on land based WiFi but generally we were able to connect when needed. Just trying to have a feel for what to expect for our upcoming cruise.

Take a look at the satellite coverage map.  It's very telling.  Definite bias towards the southern hemisphere.

image.thumb.png.ba1e67a0ff65a3fc47277d783ab07897.png

It's no wonder that transatlantic cruises have terrible signal!  That's why you have so few complaints about Caribbean and/or Panama Canal cruises.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

27 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Take a look at the satellite coverage map.  It's very telling.  Definite bias towards the southern hemisphere.

image.thumb.png.ba1e67a0ff65a3fc47277d783ab07897.png

It's no wonder that transatlantic cruises have terrible signal!  That's why you have so few complaints about Caribbean and/or Panama Canal cruises.

I believe that is simply the artistic angle.  If you move the diagram around some, it appears to me the satellites in the blue orbit are simply further away from Earth and they are all circling the Equator.

26 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I believe that is simply the artistic angle.  If you move the diagram around some, it appears to me the satellites in the blue orbit are simply further away from Earth and they are all circling the Equator.

Oh, I completely agree. But it still seems to explain why transatlantic cruises come up short. 

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Oh, I completely agree. But it still seems to explain why transatlantic cruises come up short. 

I was under impression there were some satellites north and south of the Equator.  I am no engineer and no expert, but seems to me it would be difficult to provide consistent, quality service from above the Equator to all points N & S.  I do understand there is line-of-sight, however.

On cruises in the mid-latitudes, including the Caribbean, Medallion Net uses medium-earth orbit (MEO) satellites, which are at a lower altitude and support higher bandwidth communications.

On cruises in the higher latitudes (e.g., Alaska), Medallion Net uses higher earth orbit satellites (at higher altitudes) that support lower bandwidth (and thus lower Internet access speeds).

I'm not a Satellite engineer by any means, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express lately.

Edited by CalTexCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/3/2022 at 8:46 AM, Peira said:

Good luck. Worst Wifi at sea. On our recent Sky transatlantic, a text of 7 words took 15 hrs to switch from pending to sent. The recipient didn't appreciate receiving it at 2:15am.

Let's see: it was caused by switching satellites, I mean too many people were using the system, I mean a part is broken, I mean it will be working when we reach land, I mean it never works so far out at sea, I mean...

You have been warned.

You are absolutely right. Best WiFi at sea sucks.  Princess continues to lie about the issue.