Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Jim & Iain - I know you will have great sailings and I will be following along, with your other fans here...

bon voyage

Thanks Bo     Glad your aboard,  always enjoy your commentary.  We have to cruise together some time.   I feel like I know you already. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Bo     Glad your aboard,  always enjoy your commentary.  We have to cruise together some time.   I feel like I know you already. 

JI - same for myself...

bon voyage

51 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

If you have not been to Bilbao, you will really enjoy it.  Six of us did a private tour(Silkroad planned it)and had such a wonderful time seeing many of the sights and enjoying the local food and drinks.  Also, the Azores were a delight, even though our weather was a bit misty.  So many beautiful places to enjoy throughout the world, yet so little time.  You are the envy of so many of us, so many thanks for taking us with you!

We have never been to Bilbao, but as a child Iain's family took a trip to Castro Urdiales.  He was only 9 at the time but has such fond memories.  There was only one tour that goes there so we will probably go on our own.

We've been to the Azores a number of times an have always had fantastic weather.   Last time I booked something with Tours by Locals and we took an off road visit along old roman stone roads through area most guests never see.   Our guide would stop and pick fruits and berries for us to try.   He was so knowledgeable and made the visit memorable.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yikes..    I  have 115 audio books loaded -

The Top of the list I'm currently listening to are -   I have a tenancy to switch between authors.  

Karen Slaughter  - Grant County  Series  - I just started #1 Blindsighted

Chris Carter  - Robert Hunter Series  -  #2 The Executioner

Jefferson Bass -  Body Farm Series  - #5 The Bone Thief

Joe R Lansdale -  Hap & Leonard  Series - #2 Mucho Mojo

John Sandford  -  Prey Series - #13 Mortal Prey

Josh Lanyon - Secrets of Scrabble Series - #2 Secrets of Skull House

Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta Series -  just downloaded Autopsy and Livid (newest)

- Andy Brazil Series - 3 Isle of Dogs

- Win Garano  - #1 At Risk

Sara Paretsky -  V.I. Warskawski Series - #2 Deadlock

Stephen Cannell - Shane Scully Series - #2 The Viking Funeral

Another Scarpetta book? I read Autopsy and Cornwell is back!!

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We pack for 7 days and then rotate our cloths but also an advantage we have to many of you, we are about the same size and can swap our clothing for variety.  One of the best perks of Zenith is unlimited laundry so we use it about every other day.  

I can get away with loosely wearing one of PapaFej's sweatshirts, but he'd be hard-pressed to get into my clothes.

Actually, that might be rather amusing. 

We had just reached the CC level with one bag of laundry each when everything shut down. We were so happy to send clothes out on our first cruise after the restart! 😀

Zenith isn't even a pipe dream for us, so we will live vicariously through your reports.

I'm looking forward to sailing with you in person in August.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

I can get away with loosely wearing one of PapaFej's sweatshirts, but he'd be hard-pressed to get into my clothes.

Actually, that might be rather amusing. 

We had just reached the CC level with one bag of laundry each when everything shut down. We were so happy to send clothes out on our first cruise after the restart! 😀

Zenith isn't even a pipe dream for us, so we will live vicariously through your reports.

I'm looking forward to sailing with you in person in August.

Enjoy!

The August sailing's are going to be a really fun adventure.   Look forward to meeting you on that adventure.    I'm already buying stuff for Iceland and Greenland.

• Like 1

So excited for your live review. We are new to Celebrity ( 2 cruises booked) and your info/tips have really helped with planning. I love reading your posts at breakfast before heading out for the day. You will enjoy Norway - we cruised there in 2016 with Disney and it was amazing.

A couple of tips: if you can, try and get out on the water on the fjords. I think the scale gets more impressive when you are at water level . We did a rib tour but kayaking would work too. Also,  make sure you have a waterproof packed. Bergen completely lived up to its reputation of Europe’s rainiest city when we were there 😂 But we didn’t let it stop our fun. It’ll get you used to the wet stuff before you hit Glasgow😜

As a wee aside, I grew up living across the road from great neighbours, both called  “Iain” but with different spellings. They were known as “father Ian” and “son Iain”.

Have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Jim, bon voyage, safe travels and have a wonderful trip to you and to Iain. We will be following closely. I’m hoping to hear they still put a chart up outside Oceanview with updated positions during the crossing. It’s a small thing, but really enjoyed checking on daily progress.

While you are packing and listing and picking up dry cleaning and watching for Bermuda info - all that pre-cruise stuff - would you comment on your positives and negatives of EB vs WB transatlantics and transpacifics if you have done more than one of those. The longer vs shorter days is an obvious one, but what else? Thanks in advance, your insight is always appreciated. Following with interest.

I've only done EB and one negative was it got progressively cooler each day, going from the heat of Florida to the cool climate of Western Europe and the UK.  May be different if the cruises had ended in the Med

Thank you @Jim_Iainfor another 'live' 

I've always enjoyed your trip reports, and three is a real treat 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow... that's really getting me excited.   Looks beautiful.  What time of the year was that.  I noticed many were not even wearing sweaters.

Hi Jim

I think that was in July.

I have done the Fjords in late April early May and the joy is at that time of year the snow on the mountains is melting,,,meaning the waterfalls are in full flow.

Another taster,,,,Bergen from the top of Mt Floyen…you get the funicular up to the top.

C7B40005-3FD8-49FB-906C-155B8052DB4B.jpeg.a48c87900b0735ec55023dbc6d8ed720.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 8:32 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Our Next Adventure at Sea

Three Consecutive Cruises

silhouette-2560x1440.jpg.rend.8x3-large.jpg

First Cruise - April 8 - April  21, 2022 - Transatlantic 13 Night Cruise Fort Lauderdale to Southampton

Second Cruise - April 21 to April 30, 2022 - Southampton 9 Night France, Portugal and Spain

Third Cruise - April 30 - May 7, 2022 - Southampton 7 Night Norwegian Fjords

Side Trip -  May 7 to May 17 - Visit with Alex and Evelyn in Scotland

LET THE PLANNING BEGIN

I've been waiting and hoping to find a Live review from you for your next adventure!!

Have a great time!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

So excited for your live review. We are new to Celebrity ( 2 cruises booked) and your info/tips have really helped with planning. I love reading your posts at breakfast before heading out for the day. You will enjoy Norway - we cruised there in 2016 with Disney and it was amazing.

A couple of tips: if you can, try and get out on the water on the fjords. I think the scale gets more impressive when you are at water level . We did a rib tour but kayaking would work too. Also,  make sure you have a waterproof packed. Bergen completely lived up to its reputation of Europe’s rainiest city when we were there 😂 But we didn’t let it stop our fun. It’ll get you used to the wet stuff before you hit Glasgow😜

As a wee aside, I grew up living across the road from great neighbours, both called  “Iain” but with different spellings. They were known as “father Ian” and “son Iain”.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Thanks for the recommendations.    Last month I bought some rain gear as I suspected the same.   Obviously we haven't had much practice with rain in California in the last couple years.     

Glasgow shouldn't be too rainy.   Iain is from Ayershire (to the West) and we will be visiting there at the end of the cruises.   The often call it smirry   which is something heavier than a fog but less than a drizzle.

While living in Ireland, I found that the true value of an Irish Fisherman's Sweater is the oily Irish Wool helps repel water and you can just shake off if in a drizzle. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sgmn said:

I've only done EB and one negative was it got progressively cooler each day, going from the heat of Florida to the cool climate of Western Europe and the UK.  May be different if the cruises had ended in the Med

Thank you @Jim_Iainfor another 'live' 

I've always enjoyed your trip reports, and three is a real treat 

I would agree with that.     This cruise will be a Mid-Atlantic crossing with a stop in the Azores so will be a bit cooler than  the Southern Crossing with a stop in the Canaries. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We were so lucky with our weather the day we visited the Azores.

We visited the blue and green lakes at Sete Cidades.

We have been lucky with our 5 visits to the Azores and (knock on wood) have never had bad weather.    The Azores are so different that I had ever imagined.   Unlike many of the Caribbean Islands the population is more affluent and being part of Portugal has a very European feel.   I'm sure they must get lost of rain because everything is so lush and green.

I was amazed at the number of Banana groves.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have the same CS for the first 2 cruises and a RS next door for the Norwegian cruise.   The RS was just such a good deal when I booked it I couldn't resist.

That's awesome!  I don't think I would want to move, but next door wouldn't be difficult, especially for a RS! 

Hi JIm

Does Iain wear a kilt? I think there will be some wearing them.

If you find you have forgotten to pack something, on your first leg, let me know and I will get whatever it is for you.

Nev

• Like 1

T-Minus 3 days until we fly to Florida.    I'm sure I am not the only one that procrastinates until the last minute but It's starting to feel real.

Many of you may recall that after our September cruise and being pampered for two weeks we decide we were going to break down an hire a housekeeper.   When I got home I asked for some recommendations from neighbors and hired one.   All I can say is I wish we had done it years earlier.     She is due in 10 minutes and I'm scurrying around and putting some of my detritus away.   She is usually here about 6 hours and the place is sparkling from top to bottom when she leaves.   She is truly a Godsend. 

We will be flying Delta for this cruises.    I was able to get a flight out of San Jose Silicon Valley Airport (about 5 miles away) which is so much easier than flying out of SFO which is about 25 miles. away.  

We are leaving at 12:30 and will get into FLL around 11:30.    This is the first time we have flown in 2 days early but due to all the cancellations of flights thought it was safer.   After all the storms this weekend I'm happy with the decision.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Recently John Sandford  Prey series has me hooked.    I've been spacing his out because I don't want to run out of them.  

Sandford's Prey series are my favorite!  He actually has a new series starting April 18 - The Investigator!  I'm not as fond of his Virgil Flowers series, but I do read them and my husband loves them!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

That's awesome!  I don't think I would want to move, but next door wouldn't be difficult, especially for a RS! 

I had the same feeling until the first time we had to change cabins.   It is really painless and very well coordinated.     You basically just toss all the items in you drawers and toiletries into your suitcase and the Room Attendant moves everything to your new room while you are doing the B2B processing.   They notify you when the previous guests have vacated your new room and you are invited to move valuables and items in your safe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

Hi JIm

Does Iain wear a kilt? I think there will be some wearing them.

If you find you have forgotten to pack something, on your first leg, let me know and I will get whatever it is for you.

Nev

We both have Kilts -  I'm a Cunningham and he is of the Johnston Clan.   We use to always bring them for Formal Night but with weight restrictions it would be difficult to travel with them now.   

I will have to share a story with you.    We were at a group table (prior to Luminae and Blu) and on Formal night were dressed in Kilts.    During the meal we noticed a flash and a table-mate had stuck her Camera beneath the table saying she always wanted to know what one wears under a Kilt.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 14