Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

It sure is.

My wife was ill in an LA hotel and I phoned Reception to see about getting a doctor.

Put the phone down, turned around and my wife has collapsed on the bed.

Phoned Reception, forget the doctor we need an ambulance.

10 minutes later knock at the room door which I open to find 3 Firemen.

Me: "please don't tell me the hotel is on fire."

Fireman: " no sir we are the First Responders and if it's necessary we call the Ambulance.

Me " great"

F: "will you get your wife's passport, insurance docs, meds etc ready"

M: "All here ready" then nothing. I have also collapsed.

Next thing I know I am in an ambulance going goodness knows where, turns out to be the Marina del Rae hospital, and as I am unloaded on a gurney outside my wife is being unloaded from a second ambulance.

We are now out in the street on 2 Gurney's and a lady  holding a clip board asks the following:

L: do you both have medical insurance"

M: yes - box ticked.

L: do you have the policy with you.

M: yes - box ticked

L: does your insurance company have an office in the USA.

M: I have no idea, what difference does it make - Clip board lady is not happy.

L: we only bill in the US if your insurance company doesn't have an office here I need proof that you have a means of paying. I will allow you one free phone call to find out.

At that point I was wheeled inside (my wife was left outside on her gurney) to a phone on the wall. I called the insurance company who confirmed that they did have a US Office.

Lady with the clip board ticked the last box and we were then both admitted.

Turns out we both had food poisoning, we were discharged 2 days later, total hospital bill 💲15,000.

This all started on day 2 of a 90 day trip.

Scary. What would have happened if you were both unconscious? 

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We had a small deliver of some  breakfast items and some of Iain’s favorite   Hobnobs, chocolate digestives, Battenberg Cake, cereal and of course Scones, Jam and clotted cream  

Obviously  our appetite remains good. 

D103F86C-1D85-4397-954E-AEB1CDC320C9.thumb.jpeg.60cd15819c1405b6802720ebae675824.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I love them also.   Iain's favorite since childhood is the Battenburg Cake.    My walking really took a dive in the past couple days.    Only did 3,000 steps yesterday.    Hopefully we will get out today for a hike in the New Forest.   

You must have missed the fine print - people who have tested positive for covid are excused from the daily 10 miles of walking and can have all the HobNobs and Battenburg Cake they want!

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 3
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

It sure is.

My wife was ill in an LA hotel and I phoned Reception to see about getting a doctor.

Put the phone down, turned around and my wife has collapsed on the bed.

Phoned Reception, forget the doctor we need an ambulance.

10 minutes later knock at the room door which I open to find 3 Firemen.

Me: "please don't tell me the hotel is on fire."

Fireman: " no sir we are the First Responders and if it's necessary we call the Ambulance.

Me " great"

F: "will you get your wife's passport, insurance docs, meds etc ready"

M: "All here ready" then nothing. I have also collapsed.

Next thing I know I am in an ambulance going goodness knows where, turns out to be the Marina del Rae hospital, and as I am unloaded on a gurney outside my wife is being unloaded from a second ambulance.

We are now out in the street on 2 Gurney's and a lady  holding a clip board asks the following:

L: do you both have medical insurance"

M: yes - box ticked.

L: do you have the policy with you.

M: yes - box ticked

L: does your insurance company have an office in the USA.

M: I have no idea, what difference does it make - Clip board lady is not happy.

L: we only bill in the US if your insurance company doesn't have an office here I need proof that you have a means of paying. I will allow you one free phone call to find out.

At that point I was wheeled inside (my wife was left outside on her gurney) to a phone on the wall. I called the insurance company who confirmed that they did have a US Office.

Lady with the clip board ticked the last box and we were then both admitted.

Turns out we both had food poisoning, we were discharged 2 days later, total hospital bill 💲15,000.

We met the clip board lady too, in Denver.  Medical attention only commenced after I handed over a credit card.

The NHS may be far from perfect but at least triage never starts with, "Do you have insurance?".

Edited by Tigrou
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, delondin said:

Scary. What would have happened if you were both unconscious? 

No idea presumably we would have been taken "somewhere". In the planning you allow for illness but sort of assume it will only affect one person and the other will sort things out. When we were both ill it came as a shock. Worse for Anita as she had already left in the first ambulance and had no idea where I was, why I wasn't with her nor, once they told her I was also ill,  that we were even going to the same hospital. Brings it home just what a crazy risk people who travel without insurance are taking. By the time we had rearranged our onward flight to Auckland, paid 2 extra nights at the hotel (all our baggage was there) and paid for the extra meds prescribed on our discharge the total bill was over 💲20,000. All settled by our insurance without us paying a penny. Better still when we renewed the next year the premiums weren't increased. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

We met the clip board lady too, in Denver.  Medical attention only commenced after I handed over a credit card.

The NHS may be far from perfect but at least triage never starts with, "Do you have insurance?".

Oh the power of "plastic".

• Like 2

Finally a bit of fresh air.   We went to New Forest and had fun just wandering. Mostly cloudy skies but warm and dry. 

No need to worry about social distancing. 9CDF59CC-5245-4329-976F-B1CEC74E89DB.thumb.jpeg.d936df13726d6dc2930adc5688ea2758.jpeg

70BA4E84-DE71-4570-BCB7-831FB179BAC2.thumb.jpeg.8a0b03c9daae5017f43734862c7dee4f.jpeg

B90559AD-C428-4C49-B837-F53140153750.thumb.jpeg.803438dc8b6e29615036249e8b7cf279.jpeg

B346602A-A894-4127-9E05-ECFB62410339.thumb.jpeg.47c9e29202d44d03c9984db8e42bbb4b.jpeg

A charming little Cemetery 

26C239B8-4FE2-4C95-8A72-94CEA3614E6C.thumb.jpeg.65ecbe7b5497da7250e5805f98f49300.jpeg

4656BDC6-B4BF-4C9C-BCD8-64547AE97C6B.thumb.jpeg.c18c5a412c4e49692da25da4e104ecfb.jpeg

4B9A7202-2BCF-47E1-99A8-EF5519041F6A.thumb.jpeg.1455dd442a9bc95745f8cdcc0b577544.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Excellent that you are out and enjoying one of our great National Parks.  I see you met some of the local residents, hopefully on your next foray you'll meet the famous New Forest ponies and the donkeys.  There were a lot of foals when I passed through last week as well.  I presume you are aware that the animals have grazing rights throughout the forest but are actually owned. Although very old it only was designated a national park in 2005.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

So glad you are able to be outside and get exercise and fresh air!  Hope all goes well for the rest of your trip!

I got 15,000 steps in which also made me feel great.   Even though we didn't' even see another person we wore our masks.    My eyes are really itching but I know that isn't Covid.    I allergic to Gorse  --- all those yellow bushes which are in full bloom.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Excellent that you are out and enjoying one of our great National Parks.  I see you met some of the local residents, hopefully on your next foray you'll meet the famous New Forest ponies and the donkeys.  There were a lot of foals when I passed through last week as well.  I presume you are aware that the animals have grazing rights throughout the forest but are actually owned. Although very old it only was designated a national park in 2005.

Ya mean these guys.  I enjoyed them and was trying to get Iain to pose with them.  lol.  He refused. 

963F6914-DAAC-418E-BF0B-5D4B33C92329.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I got 15,000 steps in which also made me feel great.   Even though we didn't' even see another person we wore our masks.    My eyes are really itching but I know that isn't Covid.    I allergic to Gorse  --- all those yellow bushes which are in full bloom.  

Glad to hear you were able to get out and felt like a walk! Don’t overdo it, treat all symptoms with Battenberg cake if possible.

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ya mean these guys.  I enjoyed them and was trying to get Iain to pose with them.  lol.  He refused. 

Very wise of Ian.  When you meet the real ones remember they're wild and bite and kick accordingly!

36 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was in Beaulieu last year, walking down an alley to get to the car park and three or four of them were blocking the way. They weren't moving and there was nowhere else to go, had to squeeze past. I was really worried one of them was going to lash out but all OK 👍 

• Haha 1

Loving the photos of your walk in the forest!  While masks weren’t necessary from a crowd standpoint,  they should help with pollen control from the gorse!

Continu to improve, enjoy your time in the countryside and definitely enjoy your time with family in Scotland!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

Jim, when did you get your booster shots; 1 and 2? A recent Israeli study shows they prevent infection for a very short time per their studies; about 4 weeks!!

I've been over stuck.   The screwed up my first round -  After my first Pfizer they accidentally gave me a Moderna before it was approved for mixed dosage.   So they gave me another Pfizer and a Moderna .

I had my  Pfizer  Booster in October 21  and the second February 22.   

I think this strain is just virulent.   Especially if they crew that are serving you and cleaning ones room were testing positive at a high rate.   We have friends at home that were also up to date on shots and always mast test positive 10 days ago.   

I could be totally wrong but at least from all the reports i'm getting from those that tested positive after getting home is concerning. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

They use a courier if my memory serves me right. 

Thanks... I just put a note on the gate door asking them to just slide it under the door.   It has about a 8 inch gap so plenty of room    I'm expecting it to ship tomorrow so Wednesday is the target delivery day.  (Bank Holiday).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

Glad you survived both the illness and the ordeal with the American Medical System.  Clipboard Lady  may hassle you but a hospital has to treat you regardless of medical coverage.    What are they going to do sue you once you leave the country?   Most hospitals and such have so much paperwork you could wallpaper a house with it.  

Luckily we have a very good plan and all we do is slip the the card.  No paperwork and never even see a bill.   Maybe a $10 co-pay.  Any diagnostic procedure or test is covered 100%

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks... I just put a note on the gate door asking them to just slide it under the door.   It has about a 8 inch gap so plenty of room    I'm expecting it to ship tomorrow so Wednesday is the target delivery day.  (Bank Holiday).

Enjoy!  😋