Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

And their two cathedrals are amazing.

I will add to that. 
Our granddaughter has been at Medical school in Liverpool  for the last 6 years, so we have visited occasionally. The first time Silhouette was in port and while wandering around, we went inside ‘Paddy’s Wigwam’ ( the local name for the Catholic Cathedral.).

A choir was performing, we think for visitors from the ship.

The Catholic Cathedral.

C448B586-8238-4847-A65C-0878D8E5496B.thumb.jpeg.f5abff90748275494432d05ad028bd4c.jpeg

The Liver building seen from Silhouette.

8E3ECB9B-BC33-4A64-A0BB-B24485A67509.thumb.jpeg.70c8c91bf267cc9ce2b3889fd66cc2a5.jpeg

The Fab 4 (Beatles).

050AC29E-DF7D-40FC-9C28-D3100DBF2FB1.thumb.jpeg.62270cca1dc3c95f2bebfb6cf3172004.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks, Jim:  Memo to self: don't mess with the Scottish lady in the red dress with the sword.

Seriously, enjoyed all of your adventure.  We have a BI cruise next summer on Princess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cruisernewbie44 said:

where did you find the masks

I received my N95 and KN95 at the facility where my Mother lives.  Also they have them on Amazon.

You can get free masks by going online Free masks from gov....enter your zip code and it shows you every pharmacy that has them for you..free.  😊

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I will add to that. 
Our granddaughter has been at Medical school in Liverpool  for the last 6 years, so we have visited occasionally. The first time Silhouette was in port and while wandering around, we went inside ‘Paddy’s Wigwam’ ( the local name for the Catholic Cathedral.).

A choir was performing, we think for visitors from the ship.

The Catholic Cathedral.

C448B586-8238-4847-A65C-0878D8E5496B.thumb.jpeg.f5abff90748275494432d05ad028bd4c.jpeg

The Liver building seen from Silhouette.

8E3ECB9B-BC33-4A64-A0BB-B24485A67509.thumb.jpeg.70c8c91bf267cc9ce2b3889fd66cc2a5.jpeg

The Fab 4 (Beatles).

050AC29E-DF7D-40FC-9C28-D3100DBF2FB1.thumb.jpeg.62270cca1dc3c95f2bebfb6cf3172004.jpeg

Gorgeous.  In 2012 or so, I was with my dance team in Blackpool.  Since I was the alternate, I gave some thought to taking a train to Liverpool, since I didn't really need to be back for the competition, but. I thought our coach would kill me.

10 hours ago, jules27556 said:

I received my N95 and KN95 at the facility where my Mother lives.  Also they have them on Amazon.

You can get free masks by going online Free masks from gov....enter your zip code and it shows you every pharmacy that has them for you..free.  😊

I got my N95 from Ebay but was looking for the specific 3-M mask that are suppose to have the best breaathability.    Liked them but were expensive.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:10 AM, Scottishclover said:

“Tattie”  scones were a way of using up any left over mashed potato back in the old days. My granny’s family had a bakery in the 1930s and her  tattie scones were out of this world. She made them in on an iron cast girdle and they were paper thin. Shop bought do not measure up. They are also eaten in Northern Ireland - that’s what makes an Ulster Fry breakfast special. 

I will weigh in on the scone chat too. While all these fancy flavours of scone sound lovely, I am a traditionalist. In Scotland only 4 kinds acceptable: plain, fruit ( with raisins) , cheese and treacle. End of discussion 😀

sc - are they vegan or is that by special request or advance request??? LOL

Sounds delicious either way..

an dòchas gun còrd e riut, bon appetit and bon voyage  😎

Hi Jim!  Do you know what the protocol is for boarding a b2b/TA from Rome and then to FLL for an SV cabin first and then a suite on the TA?  Do you board as a suite guest, or is that not an option?  Sorry, did not mean to hikack your thread, but since we will be staying onboard, I thought that you might know.  Many thanks!

Jim and Iain, thanks so much for my daily inspiration. Enjoy your family time & safe travels!

On our very first Celebrity cruise we met a lovely couple from Scotland. Steve (a police inspector) gave DH a policeman’s cap and badge. I always said that meant we could go to Scotland, misbehave, and not get into trouble. Alas DH is gone and we never made it to Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Hi Jim!  Do you know what the protocol is for boarding a b2b/TA from Rome and then to FLL for an SV cabin first and then a suite on the TA?  Do you board as a suite guest, or is that not an option?  Sorry, did not mean to hikack your thread, but since we will be staying onboard, I thought that you might know.  Many thanks!

I've never done it as I'm also a Zenith so get to board with suites regardless.    I would suspect that since you are in a SV  you would have to board with the non-suites as they are considered two separate cruises.    On the Turnaround day really doesn't matter as you are processed while aboard. 

I would just try to get earliest booking.   My experience has been the Rome is fairly quick and i could be wrong but don't recall them having a separate suites area.   Unless they have upgraded all they have in Civitavecchia is a big tent.     Because it is so far from Rome people tend to arrive gradually. 

• Thanks 1

We are finally on our way home.   Instead of getting up at the break of dawn we decided to fly to Heathrow at 2:00 PM today and spend the night at the LHR Hilton Garden Terminal 2 Hotel. 

We arrived Terminal 5 and took the Tube (Piccadilly Line) from T5 to T2.   It's is free.   Just grab a free ticket at the entrance.

It was a short walk to the hotel and while not marked very well were able to bring our Luggage Carts right to the hotel.  

After getting to the hotel we checked in with United for our flight home via the internet.   We had to upload our Positive Covid Test and Covid Recovery Certificate and then wait about 15 minutes before continuing.    They were accepted and were able to complete an attestation and then our Boarding Passes were issued.    YEA!!!   At least we didn't have to stress about taking a covid test.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 20

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are finally on our way home.   Instead of getting up at the break of dawn we decided to fly to Heathrow at 2:00 PM today and spend the night at the LHR Hilton Garden Terminal 2 Hotel. 

We arrived Terminal 5 and took the Tube (Piccadilly Line) from T5 to T2.   It's is free.   Just grab a free ticket at the entrance.

It was a short walk to the hotel and while not marked very well were able to bring our Luggage Carts right to the hotel.  

After getting to the hotel we checked in with United for our flight home via the internet.   We had to upload our Positive Covid Test and Covid Recovery Certificate and then wait about 15 minutes before continuing.    They were accepted and were able to complete an attestation and then our Boarding Passes were issued.    YEA!!!   At least we didn't have to stress about taking a covid test.

I hope you find your stay there satisfactory, we booked this hotel for a night before returning home from our Silhouette sailing next month.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Safe and pleasant journey….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Safe trip home, Jim & Iain. Thank you very much for sharing your vacation with us.

12 hours ago, megfla said:

I hope you find your stay there satisfactory, we booked this hotel for a night before returning home from our Silhouette sailing next month.

It is a nice hotel.   New, clean and a standard hotel.   We were commenting last night it feels like a cabin on a ship but larger.

About the only choice of food is in the hotel restaurant.   Prices fairly expensive at about 20 Pounds for a Hamburger (albeit very large).    We found the service in the restaurant very poor, unfriendly and very impersonal server. 

On the other side it is probably less than a 5 minute walk to check in counters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is a nice hotel.   New, clean and a standard hotel.   We were commenting last night it feels like a cabin on a ship but larger.

About the only choice of food is in the hotel restaurant.   Prices fairly expensive at about 20 Pounds for a Hamburger (albeit very large).    We found the service in the restaurant very poor, unfriendly and very impersonal server. 

On the other side it is probably less than a 5 minute walk to check in counters.

I use to work in T3 at LHR. They were finishing off building  that hotel when I last worked there March 2020. 

It's great that there's now hotels in the T2/3 Central area. Before the only walkable LHR hotels were near T4 and 5, too far to walk for T2/3. Though I believe there's some kind of pod rooms next to T3 now.

Bet you're happy to be finally on your way home after such an interesting holiday. Thank you for all your updates. I hope it hasn't put you off holidaying in the UK and we see you over here again soon

Edited by sgmn

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

I use to work in T3 at LHR. They were finishing off building  that hotel when I last worked there March 2020. 

It's great that there's now hotels in the T2/3 Central area. Before the only walkable LHR hotels were near T4 and 5, too far to walk for T2/3. Though I believe there's some kind of pod rooms next to T3 now.

Bet you're happy to be finally on your way home after such an interesting holiday. Thank you for all your updates. I hope it hasn't put you off holidaying in the UK and we see you over here again soon

Thank.   Really convenient and relaxing last night.  Will be back next year for the British Isle cruise out of AMS

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

What a whirlwind journey! Thanks so much for making us all feel as though we were right there with you for the whole trip. It’s been an informative 6 weeks! 

Other than a week when we were on the Oasis, I tried to keep up! 

Safe trip home and I look forward to your next trip!

mac_tlc

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are finally on our way home.  <snip>

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Beautiful day to fly.  Checkin was quick and a long way to the Lounge.   All is on schedule and expecting an early arrival.  
Suppose to be a warm day in Bay Area

Jim & Iain,

So pleased to hear you are heading home. I had it in my mind that you were leaving earlier in the week and have been concerned that something else had happened!

Can't say it any better than has already been said, so I'll keep it simple - thanks for including all of us in your adventure.

Hope your flight is smooth and without incident. I would imagine that you will be very happy to see your own front door. 🏡

Kay

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

For my part, seeing their unexpected UK vacation makes me want to add a land trip in the not too distant future! It looked like an awesome holiday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2