Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

13 hours ago, chefestelle said:

For my part, seeing their unexpected UK vacation makes me want to add a land trip in the not too distant future! It looked like an awesome holiday.

They were incredibly lucky with the weather!

On 5/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We are finally on our way home.   Instead of getting up at the break of dawn we decided to fly to Heathrow at 2:00 PM today and spend the night at the LHR Hilton Garden Terminal 2 Hotel. 

We arrived Terminal 5 and took the Tube (Piccadilly Line) from T5 to T2.   It's is free.   Just grab a free ticket at the entrance.

It was a short walk to the hotel and while not marked very well were able to bring our Luggage Carts right to the hotel.  

After getting to the hotel we checked in with United for our flight home via the internet.   We had to upload our Positive Covid Test and Covid Recovery Certificate and then wait about 15 minutes before continuing.    They were accepted and were able to complete an attestation and then our Boarding Passes were issued.    YEA!!!   At least we didn't have to stress about taking a covid test.

Hi Jim so glad you are finally on your way home. Please forgive me if this has been answered……why did you need a COR……were you still testing positive? I am finding the COR (flying home to USA) requirements confusing and often contradictory……I had thought that if you test positive then quarantine (say in Amsterdam for instance) that if you then subsequently test negative before flying that you don’t need a COR. Or is it just a very good idea to get one, as a “for sure guarantee” that you’ll be able to fly home? As an aside, this testing to fly back to USA has got to stop, no other countries are requiring this any longer and it doesn’t seem that the lobbyists in WA are making any headway getting it abolished. Thank you! ♥️

On 5/18/2022 at 11:15 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Thank.   Really convenient and relaxing last night.  Will be back next year for the British Isle cruise out of AMS

Hi

Celebrity Apex in Liverpool today,,,staying overnight I believe.

Started in Amsterdam for a round Britain cruise.

49908499-00C5-4F03-8BA4-C7654E0519FF.thumb.jpeg.7e4093633ab53d220bf2777fea9d65e3.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Hi Jim so glad you are finally on your way home. Please forgive me if this has been answered……why did you need a COR……were you still testing positive? I am finding the COR (flying home to USA) requirements confusing and often contradictory……I had thought that if you test positive then quarantine (say in Amsterdam for instance) that if you then subsequently test negative before flying that you don’t need a COR. Or is it just a very good idea to get one, as a “for sure guarantee” that you’ll be able to fly home? As an aside, this testing to fly back to USA has got to stop, no other countries are requiring this any longer and it doesn’t seem that the lobbyists in WA are making any headway getting it abolished. Thank you! ♥️

That’s interesting that there are lobbyist in WA trying to make headway, but I guess being a border state that would make some sense.  

14 hours ago, upwarduk said:

They were incredibly lucky with the weather!

I have to say we were indeed very luck with the weather.   While weather is never predictable the stretch of beautiful weather was really enjoyed.

I do have to say we decided to walk to the Grocery Store one day (with our car sitting right in front of house) and got absolutely soaked.   Oh well.... it's only rain.

12 hours ago, lexmiller said:

We initially tested negative around 5.   Just before heading to Scotland we tested again and both of us started testing positive again and  I tested positive until day 12.   Was really strange the second line as not a bright Positive but a pink line that  was definitely a positive.  I tested with Navica and the line was full positive.    I spoke with doctor and he said that under UK protocol after 5 days you are considered not infectious but could get the COR at 11 days after first positive test.  

We just thought it would be safer not not deal with a potential positive test and got them.   They can be used to enter the U.S. for the next 90 days without having to be tested again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got home yesterday about 20 minutes early.    Global Entry was a breeze and we were through immigration in less than 2 minutes.

I slept a couple hours on the plane and stayed up until 10PM last night.   Feel great today but also remember the 2nd day is when Jet Lag usually hits. 

It was strange taking my first walk today.    The trees and flowers have gone from early spring to when we left to full summer.     Temps today running 77 so a beautiful day for walking.  

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We got home yesterday about 20 minutes early.    Global Entry was a breeze and we were through immigration in less than 2 minutes.

I slept a couple hours on the plane and stayed up until 10PM last night.   Feel great today but also remember the 2nd day is when Jet Lag usually hits. 

It was strange taking my first walk today.    The trees and flowers have gone from early spring to when we left to full summer.     Temps today running 77 so a beautiful day for walking.  

Miss you already. Come back soon. Wishing you both  healthy and happy summer vibes.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your posts have been part of my early morning coffee routine for so many weeks now I shall miss them! Looking forward to your next adventure!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We initially tested negative around 5.   Just before heading to Scotland we tested again and both of us started testing positive again and  I tested positive until day 12.   Was really strange the second line as not a bright Positive but a pink line that  was definitely a positive.  I tested with Navica and the line was full positive.    I spoke with doctor and he said that under UK protocol after 5 days you are considered not infectious but could get the COR at 11 days after first positive test.  

We just thought it would be safer not not deal with a potential positive test and got them.   They can be used to enter the U.S. for the next 90 days without having to be tested again.

Thank you very much for this helpful recap for us. Your journey has been instructive for many of us who are cruising during these uncertain times.  Welcome home! 

9 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

That’s interesting that there are lobbyist in WA trying to make headway, but I guess being a border state that would make some sense.  

The airlines, cruise lines and other travel based companies are working in WA to have the requirement to test to fly to USA from a foreign country repealed. There have been several news articles about it that I’ve found. No other country requires this test any longer. It is wreaking havoc for sooooo many individuals and corporations  on every level. And it is disingenuous at best, considering that there are no testing requirements to fly domestically, mask requirements have been dropped nearly everywhere in the USA, you can drive across the border from Canada or Mexico with no test, etc. I would have to recheck the exact statistic, but international travel to the US is down dramatically because of the test. At the very least, US citizens should be able to repatriate without the need to test considering that domestic flights don’t require a test. It’s just common sense. 

• Like 6

Jim, 

Your live threads are always so enjoyable and full of information and great pictures. Even though we are sailing other cruise lines right now we are still planning on taking the Apex T/A next April and look forward to meeting you and Iain.  

Steve 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lexmiller said:

The airlines, cruise lines and other travel based companies are working in WA to have the requirement to test to fly to USA from a foreign country repealed. There have been several news articles about it that I’ve found. No other country requires this test any longer. It is wreaking havoc for sooooo many individuals and corporations  on every level. And it is disingenuous at best, considering that there are no testing requirements to fly domestically, mask requirements have been dropped nearly everywhere in the USA, you can drive across the border from Canada or Mexico with no test, etc. I would have to recheck the exact statistic, but international travel to the US is down dramatically because of the test. At the very least, US citizens should be able to repatriate without the need to test considering that domestic flights don’t require a test. It’s just common sense. 

Unfortunately, common sense is woefully in short supply these days.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lexmiller said:

I was just amazed that a state was so much involved.  I hadn’t heard much about it as I’ve been abroad.  I’m still not sure how one state working hard to change an international flight requirement.  As for the idea that everyone else is doing it being a reasonable argument, my mother never let me get away with that logic. 

2 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

I'm going through @Jim_Iain travel withdrawal.  Can't you augment the thread with an occassional post about your daily walks, Jim? 😁  You always seem to find something interesting to show us.

It's tough being a lurker with nothing to add. 😆

Nice of you to say.  I may drop in once in awhile.  

I have to admit that I also go through a withdraw at the end of a Live Post.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Nice of you to say.  I may drop in once in awhile.  

I have to admit that I also go through a withdraw at the end of a Live Post.  

I enjoyed this entire thread..thanks.

What I enjoy is hearing from all those that have been along for years and I feel like they are old friends.   Everyone is so helpful and ---- My reading list has grown to a level that I don't think I will ever be able to read all of them.... Thanks to Georgia Peach -  

• Like 2