First time Princess Cruiser, Got Covid :(

maggipie

9 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Actually, why even require vaccinations to be on board?  Announce the date well in advance of final payments, say that it’s going to be open COVID season on the ship, let like minded people fill it (based on what people on here have stated, demand is such that it should be filled to 100% when all requirements are removed) and see what happens.  No quarantine cabins, no testing…at least not until the ship arrives in a port that requires it. Then let people find their own vaccinations when they get off the ship in Europe and try to fly home, and handle their own costs of quarantining in hotels in foreign cities when they inevitably test positive.

As long as it is announced before final payment, or guests that don’t agree can get cash refunds (not FCCs) for cancelling, let the industry loose and see what happens. 

My belief is that it won’t be pretty.  Cruises to nowhere, potential deaths as in the early days before the break.  But, hey, it will give some people what they want. 

Or make your own decision based on current protocols.  Knowing the possibilities and risks.  Isn’t that what you did when the situation seemed risky to you?  And again, you can always choose not to go or another provider.  I believe you have mentioned this before on several of your posts/blogs?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Or make your own decision based on current protocols.  Knowing the possibilities and risks.  Isn’t that what you did when the situation seemed risky to you?  And again, you can always choose not to go or another provider.  I believe you have mentioned this before on several of your posts/blogs?

Absolutely. As long as any money paid is 100% refundable. People like to compare the safety of cruising to that of grocery shopping or dining in restaurants, but here’s the thing..I don’t have a $5000 non refundable deposit to go out to eat. I can decide that day, that hour whether or not I feel safe to go. If cruising will provide that same level of financial security, I’m fine with opening it up. And in that case, I would have opted not to board the Ruby Princess in March 27. But the last thing I want is another FCC from Princess that has an expiration date on it. 

• Like 15

On 4/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Calnev1 said:

I am not sure what reason Princess cites for not allowing healthy persons to smoke on their balconies.  It could be the fire hazard.  But I would think at least part of the reason in reality is that folks who smoke on their balconies can ruin the experience of nonsmokers who have balcony cabins downwind.  I remember on at least one cruise we couldn't use our balcony because of the stench created by some heavy smokers upwind.  Of course, that begs the question of why they are letting COVID quarantined folks smoke on their balconies.  As I posted before, I think it has to do with the fact that they KNOW smokers will smoke, and if they can't smoke outside on their balconies they will smoke inside their quarantine cabins, creating a greater fire hazard AND a greater smell problem for future occupants of the quarantine cabin.

We too are very upset about allowing smoking in quarantine area.  If we would have to be there, my husband cannot be around smoke or heavy fumes after having head and neck cancer.  This is a main reason we cruise Princess due to no smoking.  They should have one room in the covid corridor and have the smokers smoke in there without the balcony door open so no one else has to inhale the fumes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Absolutely. As long as any money paid is 100% refundable. People like to compare the safety of cruising to that of grocery shopping or dining in restaurants, but here’s the thing..I don’t have a $5000 non refundable deposit to go out to eat. I can decide that day, that hour whether or not I feel safe to go. If cruising will provide that same level of financial security, I’m fine with opening it up. And in that case, I would have opted not to board the Ruby Princess in March 27. But the last thing I want is another FCC from Princess that has an expiration date on it. 

My TA advised seeing we are doing 50 days b2bs NOT to do Princess insurance and to use Allianz so you can get your money back instead of FCCs.  She is a smart cookie!

Right now, I am totally upset that we may not be able to go in January because of the going ons with Princess and the quarantine.  

I guess I don't understand there is always someone who is positive but does not show symptoms out there spreading, so why do people who are positive and not having issues with health quarantine?  Especially with shots and boosters?  

It is now we fear the quarantine experience over getting covid!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

This is exactly our situation. We are both double vaccinated and double boostered. If we do contract C19 it's likely we will have a very mild case or no symptoms at all. It's the draconian Princess quarantine process that worries us.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

This is exactly our situation. We are both double vaccinated and double boostered. If we do contract C19 it's likely we will have a very mild case or no symptoms at all. It's the draconian Princess quarantine process that worries us.

I thought we were alone feeling that way.  Finally got over possibly getting covid but know that we have done all we can.  I don't want to live in fear.  However, we have lost our choice, our right to choose for ourselves.  I would rather quarantine in our room "together" with my husband and all our stuff.  But to be segregated and total isolation.  This is not right.  Truthfully after reading what people have been going through, I am surprised no one has been so stressed and jumped overboard.  

We all go out to places to eat, shop, etc.  I now am not wearing my mask.  I am OK with having to wear mask inside in hallways, etc. and even not getting off at the ports, but to totally separate my husband and I that is not acceptable to me.  

What are you going to do about your trip?  I wonder if  doctors can give the meds necessary if you do get covid.  Hmmm  Seeing they are not available on the ship apparently from what I have read here on cc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is a very fair point.  For our summer DCL cruise in Europe, they've made final payment only 30 days out (which is better) and will refund you if you test positive at the port (and they test everyone at the port at no extra cost- not 2-3 days in advance).

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

My TA advised seeing we are doing 50 days b2bs NOT to do Princess insurance and to use Allianz so you can get your money back instead of FCCs.  She is a smart cookie!

Right now, I am totally upset that we may not be able to go in January because of the going ons with Princess and the quarantine.  

I guess I don't understand there is always someone who is positive but does not show symptoms out there spreading, so why do people who are positive and not having issues with health quarantine?  Especially with shots and boosters?  

You are justified in your fear, but does your Allianz insurance offer cancel for any reason coverage, so that if there is a known outbreak on your ship days before you join, you can cancel and get cash back? Does it refund cash in the event of trip interruptions and quarantine  for the positive party?  What about the close contact? Just some questions to consider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

This is MY concern.  I cancelled my upcoming 24 day cruise with HAL.  For the past 2 years our lifestyle has not changed much.  There are other vacation options.  I want to be in charge of my own life.  It is nice to have choices.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have to admit, my biggest fear right now for my May Alaska cruise is not testing positive pre-cruise ( I will take my fcc) and it is not a fear of getting terribly ill (fully vaccinated and boosted + recovered from mild Covid case last year). It is not even necessarily being quarantined on the ship (some have reported unacceptable conditions, others have reported quite reasonable experiences. the inconsistency is troubling, however).  My biggest fear is actually  testing positive at disembarkation  in Vancouver before flying home, and being quarantined in Vancouver for who knows how long. I am still trying to understand the Canadian quarantine requirements. And wishing now I was round trip out of Seattle!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I have to admit, my biggest fear right now for my May Alaska cruise is not testing positive pre-cruise ( I will take my fcc) and it is not a fear of getting terribly ill (fully vaccinated and boosted + recovered from mild Covid case last year). It is not even necessarily being quarantined on the ship (some have reported unacceptable conditions, others have reported quite reasonable experiences. the inconsistency is troubling, however).  My biggest fear is actually  testing positive at disembarkation  in Vancouver before flying home, and being quarantined in Vancouver for who knows how long. I am still trying to understand the Canadian quarantine requirements. And wishing now I was round trip out of Seattle!

Crazy as this sounds, you can rent a car and drive to Seattle.  There are no restrictions on re-entry into the US by car.

Looking across various forums, I think my speculation seems to be right.  All the cruises with issues seem to be the longer duration ones.  I myself may think a bit for something longer than 7 days.  That said, it will be interesting as the Princess TA's are mostly done now and the PC's.  Next up will be, I think, a couple Royal TA's.  Will be interesting to see if they have the same issues...  I know that the people that were on our January Oasis cruise that got quarantined had a similar experience to what was stated previously here, especially nobody knowing how to disembark them...

8 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Crazy as this sounds, you can rent a car and drive to Seattle.  There are no restrictions on re-entry into the US by car.

Looking across various forums, I think my speculation seems to be right.  All the cruises with issues seem to be the longer duration ones.  I myself may think a bit for something longer than 7 days.  That said, it will be interesting as the Princess TA's are mostly done now and the PC's.  Next up will be, I think, a couple Royal TA's.  Will be interesting to see if they have the same issues...  I know that the people that were on our January Oasis cruise that got quarantined had a similar experience to what was stated previously here, especially nobody knowing how to disembark them...

There are also car services that you can use

29 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

All the cruises with issues seem to be the longer duration ones.

The longer ones may have be then ones with the publicized issues, but the shorter ones might still have a number of people getting infected during the cruise and not knowing it until several days after disembarkation.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, caribill said:

The longer ones may have be then ones with the publicized issues, but the shorter ones might still have a number of people getting infected during the cruise and not knowing it until several days after disembarkation.

Oh, I agree with that, but you won’t hear as much about quarantine, etc, because people will develop when they get home

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Yep, but then it wouldn't be the cruiseline's problem anymore, would it? There are always loop holes if they look for them

7 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

This is MY concern.  I cancelled my upcoming 24 day cruise with HAL.  For the past 2 years our lifestyle has not changed much.  There are other vacation options.  I want to be in charge of my own life.  It is nice to have choices.

Yep, I think I booked on the same 24 day cruise.  Too much money at risk that might turn into a giant FCC which has an expiration date! Nope!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Yep, I think I booked on the same 24 day cruise.  Too much money at risk that might turn into a giant FCC which has an expiration date! Nope!

What is most discouraging is the thought of being in quarantine for ten days in a small room!  For US, not worth it.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

We feel the same way too.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

You are justified in your fear, but does your Allianz insurance offer cancel for any reason coverage, so that if there is a known outbreak on your ship days before you join, you can cancel and get cash back? Does it refund cash in the event of trip interruptions and quarantine  for the positive party?  What about the close contact? Just some questions to consider.

As always you are so helpful.  Thank  you for those questions to be asked.  We are grateful to you and Joy and the others who have posted about the isolation and covid.  There will always be differences or should I say inconsistencies between the ships, unfortunately it has been that way since covid began.  We trust you and your posts.  You have through the many, many years, given us all the good, bad and ugly according to YellowFish!   This time unfortunately it is not a good picture; however, you are helping others be prepared more and hopefully Princess to become somewhat consistent throughout this ordeal.  I understand covid is ever changing.   I want to go so much, but do not want to be in that kind of situation.  I just watched again "The Last Cruise!"  LOL  yeah, that had some similarities to what you went through.  I appreciate you and all those who had and have the courage to speak out.  For us, I am even more afraid as we don't know how to use our Iphone that well and it will be very difficult from that aspect, but DH is diabetic and I am highly allergic to shellfish.  I would be very concerned about getting food from room service.  Even though they know I am highly allergic to shellfish, our first day on the cruise they send it.  If anyone does have a bad reaction to anything, no one would even know.  I have been by my husband's side through everything and I would be more than unhappy if they would not allow me in the room.  

My personal opinion is that yes, everyone should be vaccinated and boosted to cruise.  Then only those who are showing adverse symptoms of covid and need medical attention  be put in isolation.  I think a lot of people will not say they aren't feeling well as they will be put in isolation.  Truth is, there are people who have covid and are walking around not even knowing it, so what does it matter who it is, as it is there.  It would not scare me if the ship had a lot of covid that was asymptomatic.  The vaccines and boosters are supposed to help with this just like the other vaccines.  Unfortunately  we are in a world where it is hard to trust at this point.  

Truly, I have been looking forward to this trip and now don't even know if we will be able to go...because of fear of really not having control of the situation and Princess having control over our situation.

Edited by mellon1
add
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Thanks, yeah I realize no testing required if we drive across the border.  If I were booking today we would be driving from Vancouver to Seattle and flying home. But the 4 us have flights booked from Vancouver (ironically THROUGH Seattle) next month. I am considering an attempt to  try and change them.  But if one of us were to truly be ill,  I feel its not right to get on a plane and we live too far away to drive home. So I still need to understand the quarantine requirements on land , to be prepared. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 10:18 AM, STCKcruises said:

Really helpful info and all the best for a speedy recovery. Did all 4 of you have to move to the isolation cabin or just the positive one plus you by choice? Were the negative ones allowed to continue as normal?

That is the same question I was going to ask as I know on other lines if someone tests positive on your excursion bus or at your dining table you all get put into isolation. I’m very surprised they let others in the cabin carry on as normal. 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 1:29 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Right. The current output protocols at sailing are not the current protocols I booked under. In fact, on the Ruby, the current protocols changed mid-cruise. There’s no option to cancel at that point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2