Internet - 1-2 Days

Can you get a single day internet connection as opposed to having to book for each day of the whole cruise?  I'm an IT guy and want to connect up to work to look around and see if everything is ok.  Want to do it 1 day, maybe 2 days tops.  Boss wants me to stay off completely, but I'd be more comfortable popping in for a quick peak once or twice.  Thanks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Can you get a single day internet connection as opposed to having to book for each day of the whole cruise?  I'm an IT guy and want to connect up to work to look around and see if everything is ok.  Want to do it 1 day, maybe 2 days tops.  Boss wants me to stay off completely, but I'd be more comfortable popping in for a quick peak once or twice.  Thanks.

Listen to your boss.... stay off your network. IT issues is someone elses problem whilst you are on leave.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, novicetraveller said:

Listen to your boss.... stay off your network. IT issues is someone elses problem whilst you are on leave.

Problem is I am the WHOLE IT department😀😀😀  Small agency.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Problem is I am the WHOLE IT department😀😀😀  Small agency.

As I said, IT issues is someone elses problem whilst you are away. lol. If they can't fix the issues whilst you are away, just imagine how they will cope if you lying in hospital.

41 minutes ago, vandals04 said:

do they offer discounted packages a few days into the cruise?

Recently on Navigator & Explorer day two they offered to upgrade from Surf to Voom Surf n Stream at an additional $19.99 per day. We have rarely seen a better price onboard than what we get pre cruise online...especially during the black Friday cyber Monday sales.

Are there discounts for diamond members? We're on an Alaskan cruise and considering we can access cellular while in those ports plus one free day for being diamond we're not getting a package this time but may want one or two additional days at most

On 4/6/2022 at 6:29 PM, Ashland said:

Recently on Navigator & Explorer day two they offered to upgrade from Surf to Voom Surf n Stream at an additional $19.99 per day. We have rarely seen a better price onboard than what we get pre cruise online...especially during the black Friday cyber Monday sales.

Impressive.  Normally price to upgrade from Surf to Stream is around $5-8/day.  

You can routinely get Surf pre-cruise for around $20/day and as low as $8/day on the best sales.

• Like 1

To the OP    If you purchase onboard it will be good for a 24 hour period.    So buy it at a time that works for you.     i.e. if you buy at 6 am it will work up thru 5:59 am the next day. 

I am hoping to see some Easter sales for internet.    

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 8:29 PM, sailor05 said:

Are there discounts for diamond members? We're on an Alaskan cruise and considering we can access cellular while in those ports plus one free day for being diamond we're not getting a package this time but may want one or two additional days at most

Diamond members each get 1 free 24 hour period of "surf internet" or the equivalent amount off a package on board 

• Like 1

Different IT guy here playing devil's advocate.  If you do log in and see something is wrong, then what?  While the ship internet is ok, I wouldn't want to attempt an RDP session to try and fix anything.  A "simple 5 minute fix" could take more than an hour.

Before you leave, set everything up the best you can and leave an instruction sheet with the next best IT minded person.

11 hours ago, Rewind said:

Different IT guy here playing devil's advocate.  If you do log in and see something is wrong, then what?  While the ship internet is ok, I wouldn't want to attempt an RDP session to try and fix anything.  A "simple 5 minute fix" could take more than an hour.

Before you leave, set everything up the best you can and leave an instruction sheet with the next best IT minded person.

I have a lot of contingency plans built into systems for keeping our staff working when things go the wrong way and have certain office staff comfortable with doing elementary stuff.  I have backup 3rd party IT agencies prepared to come in the event something breaks hardware/network wise.  Same thing on the software side.  Even if we had a complete melt down our business could still carry on and perform their basic duties until I got back.  But for me, it's just to pop in quick to keep my mind at ease that everything and everybody is ok.  Not sure what would happen or how I would feel if things were bad though.  I have the full support of upper management to enjoy my vacation, but they fully understand and certainly appreciate my wish to briefly keep in touch.  Nice place to work.

• Like 1

Yea, that's probably different than my initial statement then.  If it is only checking in for peace of mind, then it's probably easy enough to do.  If you are only looking for email notifications on your systems, I'd look for free wifi in port stops.  If you want to poke around in your systems, I'd say laptop from the ship.  I think they used to do a few hours of internet, but I don't know if that is still an option.

We're doing a Trans Atlantic so first port is Azores a few days in.  We have a half day free after excursion so may take my Chromebook ashore and see if I can find a restaurant or something with freebie wifi.  Have some lunch or a cocktail and look around that way.  Or buy a single day while at sea and try connecting via Cisco AnyConnect and remote desktop into my work desktop.  If it works so be it.  If not no harm done, I tried.  Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone😀

On 4/10/2022 at 1:42 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Diamond members each get 1 free 24 hour period of "surf internet" or the equivalent amount off a package on board 

Sounds reasonable. Now if we could only get them do something similar for the drink packages!!