The Daily for Thursday 04/07/2022

richwmn

Today is Metric System Day, World Health Day, and National Beer Day

Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it.--Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember

Meal Suggestion for today - grilled bass
Drink of the Day - Mexican Mule
Wine of the Day - Chambers Rosewood Vineyards NV Muscat (Rutherglen)
Destination of the Day - Fakarava, Tuamotu, French Polynesia

Ships With Passengers

Astoria, OR US

Koningsdam  

Pichilingue, MX

Zuiderdam  

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Nieuw Amsterdam  
Nieuw Statendam  

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Eurodam   06:30 - 16:00

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam  

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0407World.thumb.png.9ecf6ae21ca20e4d8bf746cd7d32b8cc.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon.

37°F and light rain here.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

World health day should be every day.

I like a hoppy ale beer or a San Miguel Spanish lager.

My formative years were before metric in the UK but quickly learned how to calculate things in metric.

Good quote.

Nice food and drink.

Never seen today's port so looking forward eagerly to photos.

Sending prayers 🙏 to everyone they can help.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham. 

Screenshot_20220407_120208.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Good collection of days!  A tad ironic that health and beer have the same day 😉 

47CBC076-50C4-410C-B68D-D2772AC90A36.webp.1b811cf4764644b0d6db27d3a88e69ee.webp

Wonderful quote by Sparks.  

Grilled bass - yum.  Hard to get here but it’s delicious.

@Seasick Sailorit sounds like you and Claudio have caught the Garden Club’s disease 😉 

6394ABEE-DF97-4910-9A94-CAAC29DE332E.jpeg.39fe8ebafb8f88fdae87f3cef5038285.jpeg

Looks like someone forgot to tell me their cruise was cancelled (again).  No Bon Voyage this morning after all ! Oh well, a bit more coffee and I’ll start prepping and packing for the hospital. 

2029D94F-6E11-49A6-8D07-39E696CB9147.jpeg.821f20b62778c81cb2ab864975c2de43.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care List and for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday everyone !

7914E217-9853-4A01-BBA8-45D037358DD4.jpeg.2284e1625312e8f1a80cd78f2ca3b316.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's 5C and rainy this morning, Bertie may only get a short walk.  He doesn't mind the rain, but I do.

We have been metric for a long time.  Some times I use kilograms and metres, sometimes pounds and yards. 

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone, happy Thursday.  This week seems to be clipping right along.  I took a class on the metric system in college when it seemed eminent that we were on the cusp of converting and look where we still are.  I’ll raise a pint to world health day!  Very nice quote and the meal suggestion sounds tasty.  I would try the drink as I like mules of all concoctions.  I haven’t been to today’s port but hope to some day.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 25

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich,  While the US has been slow to adopt the metric system it is a very appropriate standard.  World health day is very important but I'll pass on World Beer Day.  I love the Sparks quote.  Been to Fakarava at least once on Crystal.  I'll pass on the Bass as I don't eat seafood.  My alternative is Supreme of Fruit Gallliano, and Spaghetti Bolognese as served on MS Amsterdam April 7, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Rowsby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Jam37 DH not feeling well despite negative covid tesgt
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
From the rotation:
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

nafinal.thumb.JPG.59eaa1275a74011e3e2abb909b3cb869.JPG
A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Happy 102 burthday to Norhth20 Mother
A great post birthday celebration for Pauline
1 day for Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam 4/8 to 4/17)
4 days for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay 1 day for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10) and GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13)   at sea
A treatable diagnosis for dfish
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Good morning. Fairly nice here this morning but it should get pretty windy if the forecasters are right. May not be the best conditions for opening rounds at the Masters but I’ll be watching.

Our cold like symptoms from Covid are subsiding more every day. Thank God for those who developed vaccines as without receiving them who knows the outcome?

We have been to today’s port of call and I’ll try and find some pictures.

Thanks Rich for the Daily. Have a great healthy day everyone and prayers for those on list.

Some French Polynesian pictures.

image.thumb.jpeg.60f6304917251be5ed2858053bf13fc6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6443c361a7e5ba48aefd904989fb559c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e9e1fa63fb1c868dcaaa80d086907320.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5beec6de7a380272b4ecbe7094042b8c.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  I like the group of days and  the quote.  Will pass on the meal and have not been to today's destination.  Expecting thunderstorms this afternoon. 

Major prayers for our care list.  Will toast the celebrations with wine tonight.

Please continue to use caution, there are still non caring people all around us.

Mexican Mule:

Ingredients
1 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
2 parts Ginger Beer
1/2 parts Lime Juice
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Build over ice, garnish with fresh wedge of lime.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 7.23.52 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning, though no fawn sightings - yet. Already a bit breezy. Storms expected to cool us down and eliminate the humidity for at least a few days. It was another steamy one yesterday. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Heading off to an early Doctor’s appointment. Will check back later. 

Random smiles…

5840037B-785D-465B-AFFD-9465B2287874.jpeg.8f405a53f7c5502edb2e098ab470f5ec.jpeg

439EC78E-AED5-4A95-84A2-BFC91080DA19.jpeg.0a65667c87dc8c0892a4e54eaf3512b1.jpeg

7AA601B9-3207-44BE-8324-B1E0D69D00C6.jpeg.b4002a8ad83ddbe20b72a62f9cf3d92a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Chambers Rosewood Vineyards NV Muscat (Rutherglen)

Not a lover of sweet wines, but this one has excellent ratings. Easy to find online with prices starting at $19.99.

Winemaker Notes

Sourced from material aged between six and ten years old, this wine is the foundation of the style; displaying the fresh raisin aromas, rich fruit, clean spirit and great length of flavor on the palate which are the mark of all the Muscats of Rutherglen.

While these wines are seen as after-dinner drinks, try serving them as an aperitif, particularly in winter. A small glass goes a very long way, warming the mind as well as the stomach. And remember that a bottle once opened, will keep for some months without deteriorating, providing it is recorked after each serving.

WE93
Wine Enthusiast

Chambers is a benchmark producer of the Rutherglen style and this late-picked Muscat offers a burntorange-sunset hue in the glass, with a green rim. Evoking enticing aromas of orange marmalade, honey, medjool dates and almond blossom, the palate continues along similar lines. Unctuous and intensely sweet, there’s just enough acidity keep this from syrup territory. It would benefit enormously from a creamy, salty cheese pairing. 

RP90
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The NV Rosewood Vineyards Muscat appears only slightly less complex than the Muscadelle. Possessing a very pale brown color with a glint of gold, this wine is quite grapey on the nose with notes of brandied sultanas and spice cake. In the mouth it’s very sweet and rich with relatively medium-high acid to balance. The finish is very long with flavors of spicy grape syrup. As with the Muscadelle, this is also an amazing value.
W&S90
Wine & Spirits
Here's a steal: a half bottle of rich, stylish muscat for $16. This is filled with luscious, plump peach flavor, perfumed tart cherry notes with a rummy, sugarcane sweetness in the finish. Serve it with hazelnut ice cream.
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich,  While the US has been slow to adopt the metric system it is a very appropriate standard.  World health day is very important but I'll pass on World Beer Day.  I love the Sparks quote.  Been to Fakarava at least once on Crystal.  I'll pass on the Bass as I don't eat seafood.  My alternative is Supreme of Fruit Gallliano, and Spaghetti Bolognese as served on MS Amsterdam April 7, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Rowsby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Jam37 DH not feeling well despite negative covid tesgt
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
From the rotation:
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

nafinal.thumb.JPG.59eaa1275a74011e3e2abb909b3cb869.JPG
A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Happy 102 burthday to Norhth20 Mother
A great post birthday celebration for Pauline
1 day for Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam 4/8 to 4/17)
4 days for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay 1 day for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10) and GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13)   at sea
A treatable diagnosis for dfish
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and also for your inclusion of Pauline in the celebrations.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I remember having to learn the metric system because, "that's what we were moving to". My brother is a beer drinker and I have enjoyed going to a few tastings with him even though it is not my drink of choice. Hopefully World Health Day reminds each of us to evaluate our health needs.

I like the quote and meal.

DH had no fever at all yesterday and seemed to feel better in the afternoon, but not so much by the time we went to bed. We'll see how he feels when he gets up.

The sun is supposed to come out for most of the day here which will be a nice break from the storms.

Leaving in a few minutes to do a grocery pickup and that's about it for the agenda today.

Have a great day. 🙂

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone.  

A good night's sleep and an Aleve took care of my booster reaction quite nicely.  I am left with a slightly sore arm.  Today is a lazy day.   I have the pool and then I'm working on the program book for our conference at the end of the month.

Today's meal is right up my alley.  I eat a lot of fish and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it or new types of fish to try.   Grilled Sea Bass with Garlic Butter sounds wonderful.  Anything with garlic butter sounds wonderful to me.   https://www.thespruceeats.com/grilled-sea-bass-with-garlic-butter-recipe-334370  Doesn't it look scrumptious?  

863934327_grilledbass1.thumb.jpg.c684d6bba020c91dec7fceb0bccd9eaa.jpg

If you have a houseboat or are renting one in the near future, here is a recipe for you!   I may pretend to be on a houseboat to try this one out here at home.   I like the tomato shallot dressing.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/skinless-bass-recipes-for-houseboat-grilling-recipe-1945894

2119558698_grilledbass3.jpeg.0c134420b65da286005470b0c6ad80ca.jpeg

This one might be my favorite.  It looks so good and the tomatoes just set it off perfectly.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/grilled-bass-with-buttery-tomatoes-3363937

1855735207_grilledbass4.jpeg.a15c2bcd07c411d720000510730c5cf1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.  Cheers to those who are celebrating like @grapau27 celebrating Pauline's birthday with their Sarah.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

A good night's sleep and an Aleve took care of my booster reaction quite nicely.  I am left with a slightly sore arm.  Today is a lazy day.   I have the pool and then I'm working on the program book for our conference at the end of the month.

Today's meal is right up my alley.  I eat a lot of fish and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it or new types of fish to try.   Grilled Sea Bass with Garlic Butter sounds wonderful.  Anything with garlic butter sounds wonderful to me.   https://www.thespruceeats.com/grilled-sea-bass-with-garlic-butter-recipe-334370  Doesn't it look scrumptious?  

863934327_grilledbass1.thumb.jpg.c684d6bba020c91dec7fceb0bccd9eaa.jpg

If you have a houseboat or are renting one in the near future, here is a recipe for you!   I may pretend to be on a houseboat to try this one out here at home.   I like the tomato shallot dressing.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/skinless-bass-recipes-for-houseboat-grilling-recipe-1945894

2119558698_grilledbass3.jpeg.0c134420b65da286005470b0c6ad80ca.jpeg

This one might be my favorite.  It looks so good and the tomatoes just set it off perfectly.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/grilled-bass-with-buttery-tomatoes-3363937

1855735207_grilledbass4.jpeg.a15c2bcd07c411d720000510730c5cf1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.  Cheers to those who are celebrating like @grapau27 celebrating Pauline's birthday with their Sarah.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@grapau27Another happy birthday wish for Pauline.   I'm so happy you get to celebrate again with Sarah.

Thank you Debbie and Melanie for your best wishes.

They are much appreciated.

Graham.

• Like 14

Good morning friends!  After lots of flashing lightning and booming thunder we are finished with the storms and hoping for a sunny day.  I'm heading out to a doctor appointment (prescription refill needed) so will run some errands and shop while out.  My primary care doctor check up is next week.  We did our exercising earlier and I prayed for Ukraine, Buddy and Jen, Jose and Jacqui, Tana, and all the rest of our Daily Care list people.  From our Celebration list I want to cheer on @Norseh2o's Mom on her 102nd birthday!  Way to go!  I hope @JAM37's DH is feeling better today, as well as @marshhawk's DH.  Ann I hope the test results come back with something definitive.  @dfishDebbie, glad to know the after effects of your booster are waning.  Thanks for the recipes today but I'm not a fish fan unfortunately.  DH would love it though.  As for the days, I just muddle by with metrics, always salute the beer industry since that was where DH earned his living, and honor World Health Day.  I am 100% certain we have not been to Fakarava so will appreciate all photos you can provide today. Thanks to everyone here for their contributions to the Daily.  I'll be checking in later.  Have a great day!

• Like 30

I was up at 6:30 yesterday, and worked until 10.  I drank a lot of coffee, and of course was wired way past midnight.  I did however fall asleep around 1:30 and was woken up at 1:45 not by lightning or thunder, but a MASSIVE rain storm.  I do hope those in Florida and anywhere from south Georgia/South Carolina are save today.

DH set his alarm for an early wake up, I heard the alarm, I heard the feet hit the floor, and walk down the hall, and then come back and then my blanket was pulled back over me, a cat settled down next to me, and DH was quietly snoring again.  He took his first new medication last night,  Gabapentin, and it seems to be helping.  I guess we will find out today how loopy it makes him.

I have a vacation in 3 weeks, and usually I work on getting some sun before I go to a place of sunshine, and this year it's just not happening.  We don't get sunshine in the back yard until noon, so no sitting out in the morning, it's not been warm enough to sit out in shorts, and when I do get a day off, it's either cloudy or cold.  Where is spring?  I will fry in Florida.....

Fawn is losing fur around her injury, guess I need to take a flash light out on the porch and see what i can see.  I do wish that my vision was better, but so far she is not showing any sign of trying to spring out of the porch.  But she is not showing any sign of any hunger either.  I need a visiting VET, so i will call my Vet and see who they would recommend.  Or make an appointment with the very expensive Vet at the practice who works with Ferals.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It’s a rainy nasty day here. I started binge watching Virgin River yesterday and I think that is today’s activity.

Prayers for all on our care list.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We've had the metric system for many years, but I still think in both metric and imperial.  I can't judge length/height in centimeters, it's something my brain just doesn't do, so I still go with inches and feet.  I don't have a problem with distance, so kilometers rule there.   Cheers for World Health Day - everyone deserves the right to good health care.   When we're on a cruise, every port is World Beer Day to keep with our family tradition.  I like today's quote.

It's a nice day out there already with the temp at -1C, but we're supposed to get up to +10 which will help the glaciers recede even more.  We now have a clear front lawn and it's quite apparent where the snow mould is.  It's still too early to get out there and do anything about it, so those who suffer will just have to deal with it.  Remember the storm I mentioned yesterday?  Well some of the people in the southern part of the province (about 3 hours from here) are still without power and it isn't expected to return until tomorrow at the earliest.  Apparently some major lines were taken down during the ice and snow storm, and that combined with the difficulty getting to them through it all is taking time.  Thankfully their temps are warmer so they won't freeze, they'll just be uncomfortable. 

So many people are wearing tech on their wrists today that I thought I should share this with those of us who love to earn rewards:

Wine.JPG.ef02a22f22ec245ffd7268fc3d438a1f.JPG

I like today's menu suggestion, but don't have any sea bass around.  We do have a lot of salmon, and this recipe is quite similar to the lemon garlic salmon recipe, so I think that's what we'll have tonight.  Salmon, garlic mashed potatoes (because you can never have too much garlic) and asparagus will be what's on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and those who are helping them, as well as for our Daily family who are struggling.  We'll clink the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, wash your hands, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, and stay safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

@dfishThank you for the wonderful recipes you post every day.

The rockfish is the official state fish of Maryland; it is also called a striped bass.  It is known for its size, fighting ability and delicious taste.  My favorite preparation is stuffed with Md, must be blue crab, meat.  Here is a recipe from John Shields, chief at Gertudes in the Baltimore Museum of Art and an excellent cookbook author.  

https://marylandsbest.maryland.gov/rockfish-imperial/

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning from the Eurodam.   Thanks for the daily report.   We are docked in Puerto Limon.  Waiting for the all clear.  After 5 hours on the bus yesterday an excursion today has little appeal.  Not sure what's for dinner but am leaning towards the Tamarind. 

20220407_071350.thumb.jpg.1e68eae0ed554e23a09d143af772f78e.jpg

• Like 28