Missed cruises Last Weekend????

teacherman

Just curious if anyone knows people who missed taking their cruises because flights were canceled last weekend?   There were MANY cancellations to, and from, Florida.  If people did miss, due to flight cancellations, does their travel insurance cover it?  It seems that many more flights are being cancelled than before the Covid hit.  Seems like cruising can be more challenging for those that fly to the ship.

6 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

This is why I ALWAYS fly the day before my cruises depart. 

There was a group from the UK that flew in 3 days before & still missed the ship.  So what now, 4 days before?  A week? .................

• Like 2

We were in Florida last week for a family vacation.  We scheduled to fly home on Saturday so that we had a day "just in case" before returning to work on Monday.  We could get no flights until Tuesday so we ended up renting 3 cars and we all drove home.  That is why I was wondering about people who missed cruises.  The flight we were taking home was cancelled from its departure airport "up north", so it never got to us.  I THINK that some of it was weather related and some of it was a shortage of flight crews.  When one flight gets disrupted, then it all just becomes dominoes falling.

27 minutes ago, PatC said:

If they flew in to Florida where they were cruising why did they miss the ship?  That is almost impossible.  Just curious how that happened.

Many flights to Florida were cancelled last weekend, especially from the east coast. Some were cancelled 2 days in a row. People trying to get there the day before were unable to and still couldn’t the day of.

1 hour ago, PatC said:

If they flew in to Florida where they were cruising why did they miss the ship?  That is almost impossible.  Just curious how that happened.

Flew into New York from London .  Connecting flights from NY to FL were cancelled 3 straight days.  They went back to England.  Never left the airport I believe.  Think it was on the RC board.

6 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Anyone flying into or out of Florida  today is going to have a repeat of the last two weekends.

I hope it’s cleared by tomorrow.  We are returning tomorrow and are booked on a 1:23 United flight to Dulles. 

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I hope it’s cleared by tomorrow.  We are returning tomorrow and are booked on a 1:23 United flight to Dulles. 

It's suppose to clear up tomorrow.  This whole week there have been strong storms around the Georgia / Florida line causing delays and cancellations but tomorrow is showing clear.  

Just as I typed that I thunder sound.   Suppose to have a storm in about an hour.

34 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Anyone flying into or out of Florida  today is going to have a repeat of the last two weekends.

We were suppose to fly home to CT this afternoon -- not happening. We re-scheduled for Saturday .

mac_tlc

My brother missed 12 nights on Equinox.  He DID schedule a flight early the day before and the flights kept getting cancelled.  Too far to drive at the last minute.

He was very disappointed but it is covered by insurance.

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

Flew into New York from London .  Connecting flights from NY to FL were cancelled 3 straight days.  They went back to England.  Never left the airport I believe.  Think it was on the RC board.

Interesting....the airline should have gave them the option to fly out of  Newark, PHL, Boston, Albany, Hartford....just to name a few you could take the train to.

39 minutes ago, carsail1260 said:

Interesting....the airline should have gave them the option to fly out of  Newark, PHL, Boston, Albany, Hartford....just to name a few you could take the train to.

Believe that the airline did - just nothing available.  Remember these were folks from the UK, not as familiar with possible options as you may not be in their country.

We study, we plan, we hope and we pray, then mother nature throws her weight around.  With too many years of traveling for work, often to cover a time sensitive event, I learned a lot of lessons about traveling.  Sometimes it just does not workout so you always need a Plan B and beyond.  When things go smoothly I simply thank the weather gods and the travel gods, when they don't, I just do my best.  Usually I can work it out but those 3 day weather delays are a real killer.  2007 we were supposed to go to Vegas for a spring getaway, the whole east coast got hit with a blizzard.  The airline told me nothing was moving for at least 3 days but if I could get to Cleveland they could get me to Vegas so we hired a car service to take us from central NJ to PHL because there were no more one way rental cars in NY/NJ, got the last of the one way rental cars, drove to Cleveland and flew on to Vegas.  I swore it would by my last trip to Vegas ever. I mean it was a pain to do, it was been there done that, twice and guess where I live now?  Yep, Vegas, 2 miles from my grandchildren who were not even in my mind back then so it is true, man plans, God laughs....Good luck to all of you traveling in these crazy times. 

• Like 1