Reminder: Travellers to Canada (ArriveCAN)

Nghthawke

We just disembarked in Victoria from Koningsdam on Saturday and the Immigration /Customs official did ask us if we had completed the ArriveCan arrival info before we boarded the cruise.  We said no, we had done it on the ship.  Didn't seem to make any difference, but he did ask...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We just disembarked in Victoria from Koningsdam on Saturday and the Immigration /Customs official did ask us if we had completed the ArriveCan arrival info before we boarded the cruise.  We said no, we had done it on the ship.  Didn't seem to make any difference, but he did ask...

Did I/C official make you do anything or just let you go?

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Did you do it online or on the app?  I've not been able to get the app to work on the ship internet.  It says I don't have a connection right at the end when I'm waiting for the QR code yet I'm getting emails and can pull up websites. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Did you do it online or on the app?  I've not been able to get the app to work on the ship internet.  It says I don't have a connection right at the end when I'm waiting for the QR code yet I'm getting emails and can pull up websites. Thanks.

DH did it on the app on his iPhone or iPad, but it was probably in a Starbucks on shore as we didn't have internet on the ship.  In Europe in October, we did have internet, but could never get it to go through.  Eventually, in the Airport, it took about 5 seconds.

I just meant we did not do it before we boarded the ship.  I can't see why they would want it 72 hours before you even board...

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Did I/C official make you do anything or just let you go?

No problem - he just let us go through.  I always get a different letter after my name than DH, too, it seems my vaccination info may not have loaded correctly, and I'm supposed to report it.  Nothing happened there, either.   But that's Victoria for you...

Just a nice, "Welcome home."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told by ArriveCAN person on phone, since flying into Canada for cruise to use “Air transport” NOT “Marine” as Canada doesn’t care that I am cruising, but where how I first arrive in Canada.  
Is this correct info I was given?
For quarantine told to use the ship.  
someone on Canada board did post the port address, I will post here if anyone requests it.

I appreciate this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

I was told by ArriveCAN person on phone, since flying into Canada for cruise to use “Air transport” NOT “Marine” as Canada doesn’t care that I am cruising, but where how I first arrive in Canada.  
Is this correct info I was given?
For quarantine told to use the ship.  
someone on Canada board did post the port address, I will post here if anyone requests it.

I appreciate this thread.

It should be your first transportation method into Canada. If you depart Vancouver and fly by air it would be air. If your cruise ends in Vancouver and you fly home it would be marine. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:58 PM, Nghthawke said:

(1/2) Reminder: Travellers to Canada must submit their information into #ArriveCAN within 72 hours before their arrival to Canada and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada.

(2/2) To avoid any difficulties, make sure you download the latest version of the app. Learn more: http://ow.ly/3twS50IFjK3

Curious to see how it will go for the first cruise ships sailing out of Canada. 

Just experienced this on first ship into Canada.  The only issue we had was trying to "submit" the information when onboard (and we weren't the only people experiencing this).  Because wifi is not the best on the ship, I had to wait until I was off the ship in a port in order to submit it successfully.  Once submitted, you receive a QR code.  That was the end of that, nothing further needed to be done.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 2:10 AM, crusinbanjo said:

Precisely the reason Mrs Banjo and I have not returned to cruising yet.  Keeping up with the rules and changes, testing and what if’s makes it just too stressful.  We cruise to reduce much of the stress of international travel.  Given the ongoing circumstances, my anxiety level remains way too high to book any cruise……  sorry to say, so we intend to spend our third year on road-trips inside the US and hope for a return to normal so we can resume traveling the way we love, by cruising.

There is some wisdom in this. For an upcoming 14 day double Denali from Vancouver on the 31st of July, the requirements so far are:

NZ DEPARTURE
1/ Iata travel pass
2/ ArriveCAN receipt

CANADIAN ARRIVAL
1/ ariveCan
2/ Life lab pre-registration
3/ eTA

HAL
1/ Pre-cruise testing
2/ Verifly 
3/ ESTA
4/ Health attestation etc.
NB: Cruise lines are not offering advice on where to get pre-cruise testing done.  There is a lab at Canada place, but state on their website they only test for 'essential travel'. I've not had a response from them as to whether they do pre-cruise testing.

We also have to manage a 13+ hour flight, and not get covid, which makes for an anxious time with RAT testing in Vancouver, pre cruise.  More testing and electronic lodgements are required to get home.

This has become a logistical exercise, rather than a holiday to look forward too.  Final payment is next Month, but I’m glimpsing the ‘too hard’ basket . .

Edited by TheLizardHouse
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheLizardHouse said:

There is some wisdom in this. For an upcoming 14 day double Denali from Vancouver on the 31st of July, the requirements so far are:

NZ DEPARTURE
1/ Iata travel pass
2/ ArriveCAN receipt

CANADIAN ARRIVAL
1/ ariveCan
2/ Life lab pre-registration
3/ eTA

HAL
1/ Pre-cruise testing
2/ Verifly 
3/ ESTA
4/ Health attestation etc.
NB: Cruise lines are not offering advice on where to get pre-cruise testing done.  There is a lab at Canada place, but state on their website they only test for 'essential travel'. I've not had a response from them as to whether they do pre-cruise testing.

We also have to manage a 13+ hour flight, and not get covid, which makes for an anxious time with RAT testing in Vancouver, pre cruise.  More testing and electronic lodgements are required to get home.

This has become a logistical exercise, rather than a holiday to look forward too.  Final payment is next Month, but I’m glimpsing the ‘too hard’ basket . .

depending on how early you arrive from NZ for your cruise in vancouver...you can maybe get a PCR test for arrival into canada and the cruise if it's all within 72hrs. 

Otherwise, RAT are easily available everywhere in vancouver (pharmacies, walmarts, costco etc) or just do proctored tests that lets you use your own RAT you get and they observe you swabbing yourself and then look at the results and send you pdf via email with your results in minutes

• Like 1

This is just a random comment.

When I set up my travelers in the ArriveCAN app, I was stunned at how quickly it "grabbed" all the information from our passports.  I was all set to line them up carefully within the designated area on the app, but wow...I barely passed the passports over the open app and "boom" all of our passport information was filled out there in the app.

I'm definitely getting those RFID blocking passport holders they sell, and for credit cards, too.  I had no idea....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, TheLizardHouse said:

Here we go:

COVID-19 testing for Port of Vancouver cruise ship travellers

• Thanks 1

We are taking a back-to-back cruise. 

Originates in Boston, 7 days cruise to Montreal. Then back to Boston on same ship. 14 days total but technically two separate cruises.

Does this ArriveCan come into play in this situation?

I believe HAL will re-covid test us at n/c while on the ship before returning to Boston.

14 hours ago, Nghthawke said:

Wow! That is expensive.

8 minutes ago, gdy0354 said:

Originates in Boston, 7 days cruise to Montreal. Then back to Boston on same ship. 14 days total but technically two separate cruises.

Does this ArriveCan come into play in this situation?

Yes. Submit ArrivCan before embarkation in Boston. On the application, list your date of departure (Boston) and date of arrival (Montreal).

I presume that Canada border services will clear you in Montreal or Quebec City. You will be able to step off the ship. They will require your ArrivCan receipt (status: fully vax) during clearance.

You do not need another ArrivCan application, when you leave Montreal. 

Enjoy your cruise,

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Wow! That is expensive.

Yes. Submit ArrivCan before embarkation in Boston. On the application, list your date of departure (Boston) and date of arrival (Montreal).

I presume that Canada border services will clear you in Montreal or Quebec City. You will be able to step off the ship. They will require your ArrivCan receipt (status: fully vax) during clearance.

You do not need another ArrivCan application, when you leave Montreal. 

Enjoy your cruise,

So you do NOT list your first port of entry on the cruise from Boston in Canada as the entry point, but the destination at the end of 7 days?  That doesn't make sense as IIRC they are asking for the info to be completed 72 hours before entry into Canada--so how does doing the entry in Boston, then say arriving in Montreal when there are other stops in Canada way before Montreal work out?  Honestly, Canada always has to do something confusing in addition to all the other hoops we jump through.

• Like 1

HAL states— Guests not from Canada who are starting their cruise in Canada will need to complete ArriveCAN 72 hours before arrival and fill it out again within 72 hours of embarkation.—-   Ok we fly into Vancouver on Saturday for one way north bound on Sunday. I fill ArriveCAN out on Friday for arrival in Vancouver, will this work for boarding cruise? Why does HAL say fill it out twice?  Thanks 

Yesterday I booked a cruise originating in Vancouver.  There was some info about ArivCan in the confirmation.  Reading this thread is making my head spin off its axis. 🤯

My phone doesn't work outside of the US.  If I do it online do I print out a copy, or does it have to be digital?  If there's access to wifi at the airport or cruise port I may be able to access the info but I'm not sure.  This is all very confusing.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Roz said:

Yesterday I booked a cruise originating in Vancouver.  There was some info about ArivCan in the confirmation.  Reading this thread is making my head spin off its axis. 🤯

My phone doesn't work outside of the US.  If I do it online do I print out a copy, or does it have to be digital?  If there's access to wifi at the airport or cruise port I may be able to access the info but I'm not sure.  This is all very confusing.

You can print out a copy if you like, or just take a screenshot.  Once you’ve received your QR code the details are attached to your passport so CBSA already knows it’s been completed.  I’ve been asked for it by the airlines but never CBSA as they’ve told me they can see it’s been done when I’ve scanned my NEXUS card.

• Like 1

I have a cruise in May (7 days Seattle to Seattle), and the last stop (day 6) is in Victoria. So, would I need to complete the ArivCAN info on the cruise ship due to the 72 hrs deal? Can this be done in the Alaska ports? How's the data/phone coverage in the usual Alaska ports? Thanks for any help/experience you all have - I've never been to any Alaska ports.

2 hours ago, Roz said:

You are not the only one.  This is the main reason we said NO when deciding on taking a Hawaii cruise out of Vancouver.  Just NO!  It's confusing enough as it is leaving out of Seattle and doing the obligatory Victoria stop in which we have no intention of getting off the ship, so how on god's green earth do I put down quarantine information?  This website seems to assume everybody entering Canada on a ship will be getting off the ship in a Canadian port, but a lot of people don't. 

This system must have been designed by a government official that's never been on a ship.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dave34 said:

HAL states— Guests not from Canada who are starting their cruise in Canada will need to complete ArriveCAN 72 hours before arrival and fill it out again within 72 hours of embarkation.—-   Ok we fly into Vancouver on Saturday for one way north bound on Sunday. I fill ArriveCAN out on Friday for arrival in Vancouver, will this work for boarding cruise? Why does HAL say fill it out twice?  Thanks 

Does HAL tell you to do ArrivaCan twice? You will need ArrivCan to fly into Canada. Do you need ArrivCan when you board in Vancouver, and exit the country?

1 minute ago, HappyInVan said:

Does HAL tell you to do ArrivaCan twice? You will need ArrivCan to fly into Canada. Do you need ArrivCan when you board in Vancouver, and exit the country?

That’s my question— I copied what HAL is saying on their site above-  doesn’t make sense 

3 minutes ago, dave34 said:

That’s my question— I copied what HAL is saying on their site above-  doesn’t make sense 

Why don't you link the HAL instructions, so that we can see it in its entirety. Then, try a test run and see if the app accepts your application. 

P.S. Lots of good stuff at the Canadian Cruisers forum...

39 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Why don't you link the HAL instructions, so that we can see it in its entirety. Then, try a test run and see if the app accepts your application. 

P.S. Lots of good stuff at the Canadian Cruisers forum...

ArriveCAN
Within 72 hours of your cruise embarkation, sign into ArriveCAN from a computer or download the mobile app
to enter proof of vaccination and travel information. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print your receipt. Guests not from Canada who are starting their cruise in Canada will need to complete ArriveCAN 72 hours before arrival and fill it out again within 72 hours of embarkation.          This is HAL instructions, again why do I need to fill this out twice, or is one good if within 72hrs. 

16 minutes ago, dave34 said:

ArriveCAN
Within 72 hours of your cruise embarkation, sign into ArriveCAN from a computer or download the mobile app
to enter proof of vaccination and travel information. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print your receipt. Guests not from Canada who are starting their cruise in Canada will need to complete ArriveCAN 72 hours before arrival and fill it out again within 72 hours of embarkation.          This is HAL instructions, again why do I need to fill this out twice, or is one good if within 72hrs. 

I read it as you only do so once if you are arriving Canada and going right to the ship vs. staying and visiting for a few days, but I could be wrong, I've learned never to assume when it comes to official forms. 

• Thanks 1