COVID Testing In Europe Before Flying Home

Empehi

Let me get this straight ....

For example, you end your cruise in Rome and are flying back to the US on an early afternoon flight and you need a negative COVID test to fly.

How in the world does RCL expect the cruiser to to do this.

They have to make available tests on board to those that are flying out right after the cruise. Otherwise, I think you really have to reconsider cruising with RCL until they offer a solution.

e

20 minutes ago, Empehi said:

For example, you end your cruise in Rome and are flying back to the US on an early afternoon flight and you need a negative COVID test to fly.

They have to make available tests on board to those that are flying out right after the cruise. Otherwise, I think you really have to reconsider cruising with RCL until they offer a solution.

e

Maybe you should petition the US government to lift the requirement for a test to enter the United States.

From a customer service point of view, it would be good if they offered onboard testing even if they charged for it. 

But I guess they could argue it's not their rule so not their responsibility. You could stay an extra night in Rome, for example, or if the last day of your cruise was a port stop get it done there.

None of which is ideal.

Here's hoping that particular testing requirement will be lifted in the near future and make things less complicated for anyone travelling back to the States.

44 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

From a customer service point of view, it would be good if they offered onboard testing even if they charged for it. 

But I guess they could argue it's not their rule so not their responsibility. You could stay an extra night in Rome, for example, or if the last day of your cruise was a port stop get it done there.

None of which is ideal.

Here's hoping that particular testing requirement will be lifted in the near future and make things less complicated for anyone travelling back to the States.

It’s also possible RC don’t want to take on that service  because when find positives they have to do something about it (isolation, tracing, etc). 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

It’s also possible RC don’t want to take on that service  because when find positives they have to do something about it (isolation, tracing, etc). 

Good point.

• Like 2

If antigen tests are allowed, you could bring the proctored tests with you, but you’d need their faster internet service.

Have you considered staying in Rome at least a few days?  It’s my favorite city ❤️

This is no different from how non US citizens were treated for cruises that left from US ports.  Canadians would have to figure out tests and plan their flights home accordingly. Royal didn’t help them with that.  You just do what you have to do, including flying home the next day.  

Canada had dropped their testing requirements now.  Maybe the US will do the same? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

This is no different from how non US citizens were treated for cruises that left from US ports.  Canadians would have to figure out tests and plan their flights home accordingly. Royal didn’t help them with that.  You just do what you have to do, including flying home the next day.  

Canada had dropped their testing requirements now.  Maybe the US will do the same? 

So we don't have to have a covid test after our Alaska cruise that ends in Vancouver if just going from ship to YVR for our flight back to LAX?

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So we don't have to have a covid test after our Alaska cruise that ends in Vancouver if just going from ship to YVR for our flight back to LAX?

You need a Covid test to fly into the USA.  

1 hour ago, D4 said:

You need a Covid test to fly into the USA.  

Well this is going to make things a bit more complicated. Hoping RCI will offer onboard day before arrival or we'll do the eMed Binex ourselves onboard...hope they'll accept this.

Waiting to see how the May Alaska cruisers are going to handle this and that'll give us an idea for our Sept sailing.

Thought I would post this. My daughter and granddaughter flew to Paris a couple of weeks ago and returned to San Diego from London today. Paris did not ask for any proof of Covid vaccine or booster. And they both took the proctored tests in London yesterday, and were not asked in either London or in San Diego for their negative tests. And no more masks at Heathrow airport. Things that make you go hmmmmmm!

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Thought I would post this. My daughter and granddaughter flew to Paris a couple of weeks ago and returned to San Diego from London today. Paris did not ask for any proof of Covid vaccine or booster. And they both took the proctored tests in London yesterday, and were not asked in either London or in San Diego for their negative tests. And no more masks at Heathrow airport. Things that make you go hmmmmmm!

Are you saying your family members we NOT asked to see negative Covid tests when flying back home to the States from London? What airline did they fly on? 

Just now, kwokpot said:

Are you saying your family members we NOT asked to see negative Covid tests when flying back home to the States from London? What airline did they fly on? 

Nope. British Airways.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Empehi said:

e

You can get tested at the airport. 

15 minutes ago, Gitana said:

Does anyone know if airport in Barcelona has testing before flights to US?  

google the airport you are using and their website should give you testing options and prices.    Pretty sure just about every major airport in the world offers covid testing. 

20 hours ago, Ashland said:

Well this is going to make things a bit more complicated. Hoping RCI will offer onboard day before arrival or we'll do the eMed Binex ourselves onboard...hope they'll accept this.

Waiting to see how the May Alaska cruisers are going to handle this and that'll give us an idea for our Sept sailing.

As you know a lot can change at anytime.    As of right now, the emed proctored Binax AG kits work just fine for any type of travel.    Let's hope by September we are no longer testing😃

23 hours ago, Empehi said:

e

If unable to find a location such as an airport offering testing for your flight maybe you can pack in your carry on bag a couple of test kits such as those sold on optum or emed websites that include fee for proctor and take the test with somewhere with decent internet connection (or while still onboard if you buy internet pkg).  

I spoke to Royal Caribbean on Friday and was told that there would be tests available on the ship for folks on my Mediterranean cruise.  It was mentioned that there would be a price, but the person didn't know what it would be.  We sail on 5/8, and we still don't have protocols.

• Like 2