POLL (US Cruisers): Would you prefer to sail an international cruise that departs from the US vs. taking an int'l flight?

CCAubs

If you’re a US-based cruiser, would you prefer to book an international cruise that sails from a domestic port vs. flying to an international departure port?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. If you’re a US-based cruiser, would you prefer to book an international cruise that sails from a domestic port vs. flying to an international departure port?

• Yes, I’d rather not fly internationally.
    • No, I would rather fly to an international departure port.
  2. 2. Would the ability to sail an international itinerary from the US increase your interest in booking an international cruise?

• Yes, sailing from the US makes booking an international cruise more appealing.
    • No, I don't have any interest in booking an international cruise.
    • No, I'd be happy to fly internationally at this time.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course one way cruises leave from NYC— those were the sort of itineraries OP was talking about:   travelling internationally by ship as opposed to flying internationally to board a ship.   It helps to try to understand the question being asked before answering it too narrowly.

That is how I interpreted the question. I truly believe that was the intent of the OP.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I get it that some do not enjoy sea days.  But many others find it one of the best kinds of cruising.  Consider that during our recent crossing on the SB Ovation we had about 500 passengers but once we reached Lisbon the passenger count dropped to about 400.  Prior to COVID most of our crossings (on multiple lines) were sold out.  HAL used to do a very popular Grand Med cruise which included round trip crossings from the USA.  

DW once suggested that somebody should do a round the world cruise with no ports :). Understand that different folks have different likes and many of us enjoy long cruises as opposed to a ferry boat-like voyage with lots of ports.  We do plenty of both types of cruises because we truly love being on ships.

Hank

This would be a specialty market. 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:35 AM, restasured said:

No doubt, but for a 1 way ticket to an international port costs twice what the cruise does.  I would rather be on the ship for 2 weeks than be in the air for 10 hours, for the same price.

Due to the higher prices for one-way air, my brother once combined the following in the same year:

• a spring TA from US to Europe
  • a fall TA from Europe to US
  • round-trip air from Europe to US after the spring TA with the return US to Europe before the fall TA

On 4/11/2022 at 12:34 PM, shipgeeks said:

Sailing would have to be US at both ends to interest us, ie Florida to Med, around the Med, back to Florida.  No longer willing to fly more than a couple of hours.

That would be ideal, if the cost wouldn't hurt me. That's what I've been looking to do, round trip. Leaving from one port (air or sea) and coming back to a different port involves too much coordinating. 

I would prefer to take a cruise to an international location from a port in the USA.  I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis which makes long plane trips unbearable for me.  I would love to enjoy all the amenities onboard a cruise ship while sailing across the ocean.  

11 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

When I read the question I thought international cruises from US ports meant anything international. It does not say intercontinental. 

If you REALLY read the question you should have been able to understand that by “international” OP was not talking about a closed loop itinerary to a nearby island.

• Like 1

Yes, but not interested in Canada, Mexico, or Caribbean.  US to Buenos Aires and back would interest me, but would have to include at least several days in port.  A stop or two along the way ok, but not at the destination port.  Hate port a day cruises.  US into the Amazon and back.  US to Tokyo, Korea, and US to Europe and back.  US Chile and return. 

12 hours ago, ttst53c said:

That would be ideal, if the cost wouldn't hurt me. That's what I've been looking to do, round trip. Leaving from one port (air or sea) and coming back to a different port involves too much coordinating. 

Perhaps or perhaps not.  While many of us do plan complex trips there is also the easy opportunity to book a cruise trip where the cruise line or cruise agent arranges all the necessary air and transfers.  A one way trip from a USA port to Europe or Asia can be arranged as easily as a closed loop cruise from a single port.  The main caveat is that each cruiser must have a valid passport and ideally that Passport should be valid for at least 6 months after return.

There are also some decent cruise agencies who put together their own packages including air, hotels, cruises, and even some tours.  If you have the time, money, and Passport it can all be arranged in a few short online minutes.

Hank

I would if the cruise was more than 15 days and the cruise back to the US was from Iceland, Ireland Great Britain or Canada.  I like sea days and prefer longer cruises.

2 hours ago, Red Wizard said:

Being a retired Navy guy I wouldn't mind a TA at all. I have plenty of vacation time at my current job, and can take the time off. Sign me up!

And, I think you would find a TA on a cruise ship to be significantly more enjoyable than crossing on one of your Uncle’s gray ships for a Med deployment.

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you REALLY read the question you should have been able to understand that by “international” OP was not talking about a closed loop itinerary to a nearby island.

I did read the question and we have different opinions about it. Difference is, I understand the difference between opinion and fact. Carry on sailor. 🙄

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I did read the question and we have different opinions about it. Difference is, I understand the difference between opinion and fact. Carry on sailor. 🙄

The fact is that the question was: “Would you prefer to sail an international cruise that departs from the US vs. taking an international flight.”  

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The fact is that the question was: “Would you prefer to sail an international cruise that departs from the US vs. taking an international flight.”  

Yep, and the fact is that a cruise to the Caribbean or any of the other handful of countries near the US is an international cruise. 

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Right - but that was not the question OP asked  (which most replying posters ignored).

We all understand what the OP was asking even though his wording was imprecise. But that seems to be not stopping those who want to do a "gotcha".

OK, I'll leave the debate about international vs intercontinental to others.  

As for the OP's question, I'm with the group that says that would add too many sea days.  I would rather take a flight to Europe (or SE Asia, or Australia)  and start the cruise there.  Additionally, for me to take a TA to Europe in order to join that European cruise itinerary, I still have to fly to the east coast.  Might as well had 6 hours and go all the way.   

On 4/13/2022 at 1:05 AM, cruizergal70 said:

You're rolling the dice with ship internet being 100%  stable for 8 hours a day for mant consecutive days. 😄

Unfortunately it's much more than 8 hours, but I would be more productive with less meetings. Now I have about 4 or 5 meetings a day, and had 1 or 2 per week previously. It's absurd!

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Unfortunately it's much more than 8 hours, but I would be more productive with less meetings. Now I have about 4 or 5 meetings a day, and had 1 or 2 per week previously. It's absurd!

A large number of meetings tend to be called by managers who do not know how to manage.