Port of Miami to airport..

csoud68

I just read where port of Miami is the busiest port in the world..

We will be taking a flight that leaves after 3 pm to be sure there are no hiccups..

Saying that, I'm wondering how we should arrange transportation from the port to the airport without getting highly upset in the moment..

I envision us in the heat, with bags, scrambling to find a way out..

For those with experience what's the easiest way out ..

Carnival shuttle, taxi. Uber...etc

Do a post-cruise excursion that ends at the airport.  I did one to the Everglades with a short airboat tour.  The excursion had us to the Miami airport by 1 PM, PLENTY of time still to make a 3 PM flight.  Your bags go on the bus you take the excursion with, and come off when you get to the airport.

20 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

We will be taking a flight that leaves after 3 pm to be sure there are no hiccups..

Saying that, I'm wondering how we should arrange transportation from the port to the airport without getting highly upset in the moment..

Skip all of those (crowded, unreliable, etc.) and arrange a private car service. I highly recommend American Transportation americanlimofl.com . Whenever using MIA (a dreadful dreary port and airport in a lackluster city), we use that company- never an issue!

BTW, we also recommend the Intercontinental Miami pre-Cruise. Wonderful hotel and cab ride to port is <$10 with plenty of cabs outside the hotel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Skip all of those (crowded, unreliable, etc.) and arrange a private car service. I highly recommend American Transportation americanlimofl.com . Whenever using MIA (a dreadful dreary port and airport in a lackluster city), we use that company- never an issue!

BTW, we also recommend the Intercontinental Miami pre-Cruise. Wonderful hotel and cab ride to port is <$10 with plenty of cabs outside the hotel. 

Sounds good...can I keep it at $100 -or under?

2 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Sounds good...can I keep it at $100 -or under?

Depends on sedan vs suv. Last time (january 2022), suv was about $120. Worth every penny for peace of mind plus. (With backup cars/drivers if ever needed for unforeseen circumstances.

you can get a quote on line with no commitment.

When I lived in NY, I would do a priority walk off with my one bag and taxi to MIA Airport, often arriving before 8am.

The terminal is practically empty then, and I was often able to switch to a 9 or 10 am flight instead of my booked 11am  or nooner. Rarely used my TSA priority thru security, no crowds, no need.

Once 10am rolls around, the airport becomes a zoo, and lines get crazy for check in, baggage and security. Afternoon may be the worst time to get to MIA!!

The OP can take a cab (cheaper than shuttle buses for a family) and plan to arrive at the airport by noon?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Whenever using MIA (a dreadful dreary port and airport in a lackluster city

The port depends on the cruise line (though all seem to be working toward new terminals, NCL's is nice), I won't disagree on the airport after spending 5 hours there!

Two weeks ago, from Terminal A, we took Uber to the Miami Airport.  Cost for the 2 of us and 2 luggages: $20.98 + $5 tip.  It took approximately 30 minutes to get from the Miami cruise terminal to the Miami Airport.

* We echo the concerns about Miami Airport...we arrived at approximately 8:15 am, Saturday morning...and as someone else said "it was an absolute zoo".

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Two weeks ago, from Terminal A, we took Uber to the Miami Airport.  Cost for the 2 of us and 2 luggages: $20.98 + $5 tip.  It took approximately 30 minutes to get from the Miami cruise terminal to the Miami Airport.

* We echo the concerns about Miami Airport...we arrived at approximately 8:15 am, Saturday morning...and as someone else said "it was an absolute zoo".

Thanks for the detailed feedback. 

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

That’s good.

Nonetheless, as someone who travels about 1/3 of the year, I’ve learned to never trust Uber in a time sensitive (and expensive if it goes FUBAR) ground transfer. In the grand scheme of all things “cruise,” too many people may be “pennywise and pound foolish” when it comes to ground transfer (particularly pre-embarkation).

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That’s good.

Nonetheless, as someone who travels about 1/3 of the year, I’ve learned to never trust Uber in a time sensitive (and expensive if it goes FUBAR) ground transfer. In the grand scheme of all things “cruise,” too many people may be “pennywise and pound foolish” when it comes to ground transfer (particularly pre-embarkation).

Agree.

I am one of those cheapskates. Over 40 years ago, I backpacked all over Europe...and learned many valuable lessons.

Fast forward to today, (still a cheapskate :classic_smile:)...genuinely glad I am still alive to take advantage of smart phones.  I will choose Uber or Lyft, if available, over taxis anyday. For 2 reasons, 1. We have never been scammed by an Uber driver. 2. All payments made easily via smartphone.

* Before Uber, we took a taxi from Miami cruise port to Miami airport. The taxi driver turned the meter on. When we got to the airport he said "$38.80".

I said, "It says right on your rear window, Fixed rate cruise port to airport $29". 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Agree.

I am one of those cheapskates. Over 40 years ago, I backpacked all over Europe...and learned many valuable lessons.

Fast forward to today, (still a cheapskate :classic_smile:)...genuinely glad I am still alive to take advantage of smart phones.  I will choose Uber or Lyft, if available, over taxis anyday. For 2 reasons, 1. We have never been scammed by an Uber driver. 2. All payments made easily via smartphone.

* Before Uber, we took a taxi from Miami cruise port to Miami airport. The taxi driver turned the meter on. When we got to the airport he said "$38.80".

I said, "It says right on your rear window, Fixed rate cruise port to airport $29". 

I appreciate your comment but, you’re not really agreeing with me. Some Uber drivers just don’t show up and it’s not uncommon.

32 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I appreciate your comment but, you’re not really agreeing with me. Some Uber drivers just don’t show up and it’s not uncommon.

* First, just wanted to thank you for many helpful responses over the years...we've learned from you and are truly grateful.

* We have yet to experience a "no show" from an Uber driver...lucky, I guess.

* Lastly, another example I'd like to share...disembarked from the cruise terminal in San Francisco. Took a taxi. The Embarcadero traffic was bumper to bumper and politely told the driver the fastest way to get to 280. The driver refused and insisted he knew a faster way. (He didn't know I was born and raised in SF) He took the long way...a $30 ride became $55.

59 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

* First, just wanted to thank you for many helpful responses over the years...we've learned from you and are truly grateful.

* We have yet to experience a "no show" from an Uber driver...lucky, I guess.

* Lastly, another example I'd like to share...disembarked from the cruise terminal in San Francisco. Took a taxi. The Embarcadero traffic was bumper to bumper and politely told the driver the fastest way to get to 280. The driver refused and insisted he knew a faster way. (He didn't know I was born and raised in SF) He took the long way...a $30 ride became $55.

My favorite cab story was in Orlando, Florida while staying at a hotel somewhere “close” to Disney World manny many years ago.

First day took cabs to/from D-World at some reasonable cost. Same basic cost to D-World on day 2. But that evening the cab ride was longer and far more expensive with lots of turns past the same scenery. When the cabbie pulled up to the hotel and asked for the exorbitant fare, I excused my self and asked the door man to call the police. I returned to the cab and politely explained to the cabbie that he was attempting to rip me off.

He then threatened to call the police and I responded that it would “not be necessary,”briefly hesitating while he smiled at his assumed  “win” until I finished my statement with “already called.” When the Sheriff’s Deputy  arrived, I explained the situation and thanked him upon learning that he had spoken with the cabbie (actually, the Deputy did the bulk of the talking) and we had just been given a complimentary ride by that cab driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, csoud68 said:

I am recently off a Celebrity cruise. The cruise line offered transportation from the ship to the Miami airport for $16. The bus left at 9 AM and we were in the airport by 9:30 AM. 

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

I am recently off a Celebrity cruise. The cruise line offered transportation from the ship to the Miami airport for $16. The bus left at 9 AM and we were in the airport by 9:30 AM. 

Thanks!!!!

Edited by csoud68