Navigator - impressions ?

Huggsy

I'm looking at particular itineraries which often come up featuring Navigator,  I've gone on line, looked at the Ship's features, etc to see what she's about and seeing the decor/furnishings she looks a bit, umm.... dated? Any thoughts, experiences? Don't wish to cast any negativity but after coming from Splendor (and I appreciate they are very different) the Navigator does look quite old fashioned - however, I must admit yet cosy and comfortable.

• Like 2

We go on Navigator in May for 40 nights.  I have reasonable expectations so I think we'll love her.  But will be happy to let you know then. 

I know there's only Prime 7 and Setti Mari for speciality restaurants... that's ok.  I know that she vibrates aft so we booked forward...that's ok.  I know she's small and older...that's ok.  She was renovated in 2016 so I suspect she's in great shape and not dated at all.  But we'll find out. 
I'm looking forward to the very intimate and relaxed experience.  😎

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

And--in addition to the positives, and based on four priors on Navigator, including a BtB-- very-loyal Staff.  If you have Ray Solaire as Cruise Director, that would put a cherry on top of the whip cream.   

It is what it is--for a ship which, under present circumstances, will probably top-out at about 375 to 400 passengers.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Huggsy said:

I'm looking at particular itineraries which often come up featuring Navigator,  I've gone on line, looked at the Ship's features, etc to see what she's about and seeing the decor/furnishings she looks a bit, umm.... dated? Any thoughts, experiences? Don't wish to cast any negativity but after coming from Splendor (and I appreciate they are very different) the Navigator does look quite old fashioned - however, I must admit yet cosy and comfortable.

I understand where you’re coming from. My first Regent cruise ( back then it was Radisson) in 2000 was on Navigator. In November 2019 I found myself back on it, and initially had your same concerns since a few months before I had sailed on the Explorer. I should not have been concerned! The ship is extremely well maintained, very comfortable and not shabby at all. The staff was second to none, it turned out to be one of my best Regent cruises. Given the right itinerary/ price , I wouldn’t hesitate to go on the Navigator again 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Huggsy said:

We found ourselves asking the same question (new to Regent).  Navigator has some cracking itineraries at advantageous price points.  Having cruised both Azamara & Oceania R ships, we concluded the Navigator as a similar tonnage, but with less passengers,  is likely to offer a similar (and hopefully better) experience and went straight ahead and booked Miami to Montreal in 2023.  
Now that she is back sailing (ish) we keep looking on CC & YT for some new footage to add to our excitement!

Regards

• Like 5

@cruiseluv I could have written those same words.  We were late to try Navigator and she remained the one Regent ship which we'd not experienced for quite some years.  But an itinerary sailing across the Indian Ocean was too good to miss and quickly became a classic Regent experience.  What we appreciate in particular is the ease of moving around the more compact environment - no long walks from one end of the ship to the other, as where you want to be in just *there*.  We still think the theatre is the best in the fleet and though we missed Pacific Rim and Chartreuse, dishes from those restaurants were available in Compass Rose.   Here's to our next Navigator experience, coming up in just 99 days!  (we're into double figures @briar14!)

(I generally don't post a lot of photos here, because I write my own blog, where I write a post about my impressions of the ship at the time here )

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

@cruiseluv I could have written those same words.  We were late to try Navigator and she remained the one Regent ship which we'd not experienced for quite some years.  But an itinerary sailing across the Indian Ocean was too good to miss and quickly became a classic Regent experience.  What we appreciate in particular is the ease of moving around the more compact environment - no long walks from one end of the ship to the other, as where you want to be in just *there*.  We still think the theatre is the best in the fleet and though we missed Pacific Rim and Chartreuse, dishes from those restaurants were available in Compass Rose.   Here's to our next Navigator experience, coming up in just 99 days!  (we're into double figures @briar14!)

(I generally don't post a lot of photos here, because I write my own blog, where I write a post about my impressions of the ship at the time here )

Gilly, had a read of your article - well presented and the photos do it justice.

@Huggsy  thanks! x  (I wrote it following our cruise in 2018 - not sure about any refurbs since then, but I'll post an update in about 100 days time abw 😎 )

Edited by Gilly
  • Thanks 1

We have been on the Navigator 4 times. I like the fact that the majority of the passengers eat in Compass Rose for dinner as there are only two other dining spots. It makes for a really festive evening being with a lot of people. We will be on her this July and then again in October 2023.

I love the Navigator but there are some areas where she shows her age. Having said that, I prefer her over Splendor for that very reason...I am not a Splendor person. It's just too fancy for my taste. 

The low passenger count is a HUGE plus for me on Navigator as well. 

I would say 75% LOVE Navigator, 15% don't care and 10% think She is not fancy enough.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

I love the Navigator but there are some areas where she shows her age. Having said that, I prefer her over Splendor for that very reason...I am not a Splendor person. It's just too fancy for my taste. 

The low passenger count is a HUGE plus for me on Navigator as well. 

I would say 75% LOVE Navigator, 15% don't care and 10% think She is not fancy enough.

As they say….”Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Just off Splendor a month ago and we loved it. Our Grand Suite was beautifully appointed and we enjoy the larger Regent ships. But hey….it’s all about what the paying passenger enjoys more. 

• Like 1

Some things to note is that the lowest category suites on the Navigator are window — not balcony. But both those and the veranda suites are have more inside space than the lowest category on all other Regent ships, except the Voyager.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 2:22 AM, royallondon said:

We found ourselves asking the same question (new to Regent).  Navigator has some cracking itineraries at advantageous price points.  Having cruised both Azamara & Oceania R ships, we concluded the Navigator as a similar tonnage, but with less passengers,  is likely to offer a similar (and hopefully better) experience and went straight ahead and booked Miami to Montreal in 2023.  
Now that she is back sailing (ish) we keep looking on CC & YT for some new footage to add to our excitement!

Regards

We just completed our first Regent Cruise aboard the Explorer (Transatlantic from Miami to Rome). While onboard, we booked the same cruise you have booked for next year. Hope to see you in 2023.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Some things to note is that the lowest category suites on the Navigator are window — not balcony. But both those and the veranda suites are have more inside space than the lowest category on all other Regent ships, except the Voyager.

Yeah, that's 60% of the Regent fleet that I consider F category the bare minimum.  Nav we always book F or above for the balcony, and on Splendor and Explorer we go F2 or above for the cabin size.

That may not be true for a lot of people, but that's always where we start our pricing at when we're looking for a cruise...

• Like 2

Yes, the Navigator is a bit dated. But it's a very cozy ship - feels more like an oversized yacht than a cruise ship.  The service remains what you would expect from a RSSC vessel.

But if you're the queasy sort: this ship does not ride well in heavy seas because of its hull design - if I'm to believe the rumors, it's the hull of a former Soviet research vessel.  A trip from Namibia to Cape Town in the South Atlantic felt like riding an endless Colossus at Magic Mountain.  There's a reason I call her the Seven Seas Agitator...

Cyberchomp I would have to agree with you. We just did an April 1 cruise on navigator and the seas were not by any means what I would call rough, but it was very roller coaster like some nights.  On the whole I really like the ship, very comfortable and not too flashy. I overheard talk from some other cruisers who complained about how bland she looked. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some other observations:

-several ex crystal cruisers were on board and they were very disappointed in the food compared to Crystal. I found the food to be wonderful.

-The smoking area on the pool deck is very intrusive I do believe. (Sorry smokers!) Unless you are in the far corner on the opposite side from the smoking deck you keep getting whiffs of cigars and cigarettes. There is no way we could pick loungers very close to the smoking area. I’m not sure why they don’t move it to deck 11 with a little awning overlooking the pool area, that’s very valuable real estate in the shade right next to the pool. The shady spots get grabbed up quickly. 

Edited by Mtinsc
  • Like 2

Cyberchomp:  

Heritage of Navigator is that the hull was originally designed to be housing a USSR "ocean research" vessel.  Hull with near, or at-icebreaker level tolerance.  Then, collapse of USSR.  Hull was orphaned for several years; then reimagined and repurposed as a cruise ship.  

This is one reason most-all passenger common areas such as restaurants (Compass Rose; Prime 7, and La Veranda (reset as Sette Mari for dinner); and most-interesting--the two level Theater--are aft.  Equalizes the weight.  Big difference from all other Regent vessels.  

BTW:  Research, smesearch.  Ship was originally imagined as a high-tech (in '80s standards) electronic intercept platform.   

GOARMY!

Huggsy:

Here is one little secret about Navigator that I only share with close friends who promise to keep it confidential.  

As mentioned, due to necessity to compensate for a heavy front-end, Navigator does not have a forward-facing Lounge.  However, a semi-private viewing venue I have found most-relaxing is aft on Deck 10.  With suitable libation in hand, proceed to the starboard exterior side railing.  Start walking aft.  You will pass Prime 7.  Keep going, and wind up in La Veranda's exterior seating area.   This route won't work on Port side.  

During certain times of the day, there will likely be no one back there.  These "windows of solitude" are from approximately 1000H to 1130H; and 1530H to 1745H--or-so.  Location is under cover.  Comfortable chairs.   On sea days, extra benefit is having a great panoramic view of the passing scene while enjoying that  libation.  

The exterior seating area for Galileo's Lounge is one Deck above.  Last time aboard (2019), there was a designated smoking area on the starboard side. If someone was smoking above while I was sitting below, I never detected second-hand smoke.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Context.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Huggsy:

Here is one little secret about Navigator that I only share with close friends who promise to keep it confidential.  

As mentioned, due to necessity to compensate for a heavy front-end, Navigator does not have a forward-facing Lounge.  However, a semi-private viewing venue I have found most-relaxing is aft on Deck 10.  With suitable libation in hand, proceed to the starboard exterior side railing.  Start walking aft.  You will pass Prime 7.  Keep going, and wind up in La Veranda's exterior seating area.   This route won't work on Port side.  

During certain times of the day, there will likely be no one back there.  These "windows of solitude" are from approximately 1000H to 1130H; and 1530H to 1745H--or-so.  Location is under cover.  Comfortable chairs.   On sea days, extra benefit is having a great panoramic view of the passing scene while enjoying that  libation.  

The exterior seating area for Galileo's Lounge is one Deck above.  Last time aboard (2019), there was a designated smoking area on the starboard side. If someone was smoking above while I was sitting below, I never detected second-hand smoke.  

GOARMY!

Our favorite spot as well!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments made in this thread. they have certainly put our minds at rest over any concerns we had regarding the Navigator. We are booked May 2023 Miami to Montreal and it will be our firs RSSC cruise as well as the smallest ship we have sailed on.

Happy & safe sailing

Mick & Pauline

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Spud1 said:

Thanks for all the comments made in this thread. they have certainly put our minds at rest over any concerns we had regarding the Navigator. We are booked May 2023 Miami to Montreal and it will be our firs RSSC cruise as well as the smallest ship we have sailed on.

Happy & safe sailing

Mick & Pauline

If any nights in Montreal….head to Crescent Street. Great restaurants and bars and a terrific Irish Pub there, Hurleys. Joe Beef is one of the cities most popular restaurants….if interested, reservations post 3 months in advance and you would need to book it close to midnight, your time. Small and unassuming place but food is absolutely sensational. Our home town….back there in a month.

Edited by Gpilon

On 4/22/2022 at 10:42 AM, Spud1 said:

Happy & safe sailing

Mick & Pauline

Hello there Mick and Pauline - We are Sandy and Kevin from Bury St Edmunds and we are also on this sailing and also our first RSSC?      See you on board!!

• Like 2