Ships Sailing full??

ImperialLady

We all need to stop focusing on reduced occupancy being part of the cruising environment.  CDC has lifted any occupancy and/or social distancing caps. Going forward ships will sail as full as they are able to sell them. Less any cabins held back for isolation, the #/% of which is not being disclosed.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

Thanks we don't sail til late August and hopefully by then all will sail full 

Actually you may have a better cruise with less people onboard. We sailed on the Enchanted Princess in early March with less than 50% capacity and it was great!

• Like 2

Be careful what you wish for! 

Just came off a cruise with 1100 pax instead of 2000. OK, no chair hog issues, no waits for tables,  but at night, the ship felt deserted. So few pax meant that some bars were virtually empty, sometimes there were more people performing on stage than watching etc!

Bring back full(ish) ships. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

We were at around 50% a few weeks ago on the Discovery Alaska Sampler on May 4th - 8th.  Not sure what it is now.  Not everyone wants to sail on a short, cold cruise.  

Sorry, that made me laugh. We're in a year that winter doesn't seem to want to let go.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We have 3200 on the Discovery current sailing.  They hold back quarantine cabins and that’s it. 

That might be due to the schools being out at Discovery's local embark port.  Would you mind asking about next week?  I'm thinking it should be much lighter.

12 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

We were at around 50% a few weeks ago on the Discovery Alaska Sampler on May 4th - 8th.  Not sure what it is now.  Not everyone wants to sail on a short, cold cruise.  

I had booked that May 4th sampler voyage a week ago after my April 3rd Caribbean Princess was cancelled 2 days before.  The booking on the Discovery had no single supplement (I'm going solo) and the rate was just above the "non commisionable fare" which is basically the point where agents start making a commission.  So as a TA that booked myself, I'll make about <checks math> $0.60 commission 🙂

Yeah, I'd say that voyage is not selling where they want it to so the prices have come way down to get the last minute cruisers onboard.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, scooter6139 said:

That's what I'm hoping for on the Grand sailing to Vancouver next Tuesday, and that the usual majority of Canadians won't be there since their testing requirement just ended April 1. But we'll see. Full capacity can be even worse in cold weather, since everyone crowds inside, especially if there's no covered pool area. 

15 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I had booked that May 4th sampler voyage a week ago after my April 3rd Caribbean Princess was cancelled 2 days before.  The booking on the Discovery had no single supplement (I'm going solo) and the rate was just above the "non commisionable fare" which is basically the point where agents start making a commission.  So as a TA that booked myself, I'll make about <checks math> $0.60 commission 🙂

Yeah, I'd say that voyage is not selling where they want it to so the prices have come way down to get the last minute cruisers onboard.

I keep jumping on Costco Travel or the Princess site (without logging in) to check and there are still a lot of cabins available.  Guessing it will get to 60-70% at most.

Only reason I upgraded to a full Suite was due to the prices being so low.  Granted we will only get to enjoy that Suite Life for 5 days, but enjoy it we will!  

4 hours ago, Mikel1733 said:

How do you find your sailing's occupancy?  I've never found it.  We are on a May 21 sailing on the Emerald

Go to the live from for the sailing before yours and have someone ask on crew chat. If no live from you can ask on their roll call. Numbers can change quite a bit so the closer to your sailing the better. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rj59 said:

That's what I'm hoping for on the Grand sailing to Vancouver next Tuesday, and that the usual majority of Canadians won't be there since their testing requirement just ended April 1. But we'll see. Full capacity can be even worse in cold weather, since everyone crowds inside, especially if there's no covered pool area. 

The Grand Princess has a covered pool with a mezzanine level that is good for viewing the sights.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:39 PM, echoshipmate said:

Currently on Majestic, about 1700 this trip, b2b next cruise 3200+. Close to full!

We sailed on the Sky over NYE with about 1300 passengers...loved it!
We have a Canadian/Colonial American cruise (Oct.) on the Caribbean that looks really full...I didn't see where you can pick your own cabin in any of the locations on the ship....at least not balcony cabins at this point in time.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, wowzz said:

Be careful what you wish for! 

Just came off a cruise with 1100 pax instead of 2000. OK, no chair hog issues, no waits for tables,  but at night, the ship felt deserted. So few pax meant that some bars were virtually empty, sometimes there were more people performing on stage than watching etc!

Bring back full(ish) ships. 

Sometimes less can be better if you want a cruise director , ours on the Grand came down with Covid.  The more onboard, the more chance of getting it.