Provision Of Wine In Restaurants

Charleyben

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, if it has I can't find it. 

With the drinks package I am aware that wine is served by the glass and not by the bottle but how does this actually work in the restaurants.  We do enjoy a few glasses of wine with dinner and I was wondering whether your glasses are topped up or do you have to look around when you are empty.  The drinks package sets a limit on the number of alcoholic drinks so I guess topping up is not feasible.

We have done all inclusive cruises but this is our first time we have had a drinks package. I would appreciate a heads up on how it works in practice as the thought of going thirsty at dinner is filling me with dread.

We were on Sky Princess 28th March 2022 from Southampton and we had the package. It worked very well for us in the Restaurant, we were Club Class Estrella. The waiter took our order and asked if we wanted another glass before the existing one was empty. In fact after a couple of days, he offered to get us a large glass of wine, to save going again for refill! This worked well and we were never charged extra. Whether they put it through as 2 separate glasses I don’t know but he used his app to order and brought the drinks to us. We never exceeded our 15 drinks per day though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charleyben said:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, if it has I can't find it. 

With the drinks package I am aware that wine is served by the glass and not by the bottle but how does this actually work in the restaurants.  We do enjoy a few glasses of wine with dinner and I was wondering whether your glasses are topped up or do you have to look around when you are empty.  The drinks package sets a limit on the number of alcoholic drinks so I guess topping up is not feasible.

We have done all inclusive cruises but this is our first time we have had a drinks package. I would appreciate a heads up on how it works in practice as the thought of going thirsty at dinner is filling me with dread.

The waiters do not have a bottle on hand to refill glasses.  Need to go back to a bar somewhere.  The typical strategy seems to be to order the next glass when you receive the first one and then it will arrive in time or before you need it.  If you don't like the choices BTG, you can order bottles at 25% menu price.  We don't get the PLUS, so I always have bottles we have brought on (unless I have to buy from menu).

• Like 1

Good point made in taking your first glass in with you.  We shall do that.

We have never yet failed to see off at least a bottle of wine during the course of dinner. I was wondering whether the waiter may be amenable to leaving a bottle and applying the appropriate number of glasses to our account. To me it would seem to be the simplest option.

We both enjoy a drink but 15 alcoholic drinks in a day - I don't think so!

The $15 dollar corkage charge is reasonable and if I particular wanted a bottle, I would source my own.  Even with a 25% discount it would still grate me to buy a bottle when we already have the package.

Thanks for your replies. I will sleep better tonight noting your reassurances.

14 minutes ago, Charleyben said:

I was wondering whether the waiter may be amenable to leaving a bottle and applying the appropriate number of glasses to our account. To me it would seem to be the simplest option.

The issue is that by so doing, it would be possible for you to share wine with those who do not have the PP package, which is not allowed.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Charleyben said:

The $15 dollar corkage charge is reasonable and if I particular wanted a bottle, I would source my own.  Even with a 25% discount it would still grate me to buy a bottle when we already have the package.

It is now $20 corkage

• Like 1

We just ordered wine once in the restaurant and it never took more than a few minutes to come (28 March departure).

I asked for the glass of wine I wanted with the main course when placing my order and again this came in good time. The waiter asked for port / dessert wine (and coffee) order when delivering the menu form pudding so they came at about the same time.

I have to say it was all very efficient.

• Like 1