More Newbie Questions

ernieb

We’ll be joining the Odyssey next Thursday in Miami for the Panama Canal transit. I’ve been checking the daily menus and am not seeing any mention of pizza. We really enjoy having pizza for lunch. Can we expect it to be available in either the Patio or the Colonnade?

Also, I am finding selections available on the same evening in separate venues that we would enjoy. Is it acceptable to visit a selection of venues (Earth & Ocean for appetizers, Colonnade for main course and The Restaurant for dessert)?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Is it acceptable to visit a selection of venues (Earth & Ocean for appetizers, Colonnade for main course and The Restaurant for dessert)?

Of course that is acceptable - we are talking Seabourn, after all.

Having said that, I hope you don't plan on doing this with any regularity.  Sorry to feel compelled to put in my few cents, but the practice of progressive dining on board is a pet peeve - it uses up so much extra resources (staffing, laundry of table linens, washing of extra utensils).  Seabourn staff works so hard and such long hours to satisfy our every whim and desire, I hope guests don't go overboard.

• Like 3

Is this a fad and where did it start? I hope this is nothing but a bad joke.

“Progressive dining” sounds like a gimmick from some outfit selling something, or maybe something tiresome like the old American game show Supermarket Sweep where contestants race from aisle to aisle scoring the most expensive items and checking them out for a prize. Ha! It would be the last thing I would choose to do with my evening on a Seabourn ship.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 7

Damn - I didn’t mean to get everybody’s panties in a wad! I was mainly just curious, but it does seem possible  that we may want to have a main course in one venue and dessert in another.

• Haha 1

If there was one centralized kitchen, that would be logical. But each has their own kitchen on different decks. And each has an entirely different vibe. It would be wierd to have the scented smoke released from a dome in the Restaurant and the presentation from the Restaurant would be totally out of place in Earth and Ocean. Sure, it's Seabourn but that would be a "no" from me - considering the disruption of the experience of the guests at surrounding tables and the sanity of the serving staff. Just my opinion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

But each has their own kitchen on different decks.

Exactly.They may try to do it for you but they would have to get staff to come from one section of the ship to get it from another section. So there is also the waiting time factor to add in.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Seems like we would also be able to do the same through room service.

You can order from the MDR menu at meal times but not from other venues as far as I remember. They would only be likely to catering for a certain amount of table turn over otherwise food wastage could be much higher. TK Grill on Odyssey class ships plus Earth and Ocean are small and popular and seating is limited.

I would think it would be the same on the other luxury ships with their specialty dining, ie La Dame on Silversea or Pacific Rim on Regent for example.

If there is certain items you would like to try and miss having it because you dined elsewhere you could order as a special menu dinner if you give 24 hours notice. I have done that if I have missed French night at the Colonnade because I wanted to go to the Special Chef's Menu dinner.

6 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Frantic this brings up another question I have. When you order a special menu dinner with the 24 hours notice, how do you know in which restaurant it should be served?

It is typically served in the MDR, though I have never asked if it can be done in Colonnade if you wanted to dine outdoors. I would ask maybe on the second day when the boarding day rush is over. As I mentioned the speciality restaurants are small and so are their kitchens so that would make it difficult to do a special menu dinner. 

14 hours ago, twodjs said:

If there was one centralized kitchen, that would be logical. But each has their own kitchen on different decks. And each has an entirely different vibe. It would be wierd to have the scented smoke released from a dome in the Restaurant and the presentation from the Restaurant would be totally out of place in Earth and Ocean. Sure, it's Seabourn but that would be a "no" from me - considering the disruption of the experience of the guests at surrounding tables and the sanity of the serving staff. Just my opinion.

+1

Not a good idea to ask for dishes from one venue served at another, not the usual Seabourn way.

Regarding room service, you can order from its menu and the Restaurant menu at dinner.  If you are in quarantine, they will be more flexible and allow you to order from other dining venues.

19 hours ago, MWillow said:

The patio typically has a few choices of pizza by the slice at lunch.  If you would like a whole pizza for your table just ask.  No problem doing a progressive dinner.  I hope you enjoy your cruise!

But the million dollar question: Is the pizza any good?  I see people raving about the pizza on Silversea, but no similar comments in the Seabourn forums.  And coming from the northeast, I am kind of a pizza snob, having become accustomed to mom & pop pizzerias... not that Domino's conveyer belt garbage.

The pizza is fine although not specifically a northeast type and certainly not a Chicago type( There are pizza snobs in every area of the country).  It is freshly made so you could be specific on how you would like it.  I'm pretty sure they don't have a coal fired pizza oven on board.  

The only time I've tried ordering something from another venue was when I asked for a Napa burger in the Colonnade.  I did get the impression it wasn't a usually request but they did it.  But the Patio and the Colonnade are on the same deck.  

• Thanks 1

I don't think the pizzas are especially great - and agree that changing restaurants mid-meal is really a no-no, but remember that you can in advance  - 9maybe the day before - order a special menu, and if they can and have the ingredients it will be done cheerfully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ernieb said:

Damn - I didn’t mean to get everybody’s panties in a wad! I was mainly just curious, but it does seem possible  that we may want to have a main course in one venue and dessert in another.

If it's from the restaurant you can order the dessert to your cabin should you choose. In theory if it is on the restaurant or room service menu you could order it to another venue on the ship. But it might be a challenge if other venues are busy. 

Fyi, these are the same boards where people regularly suggest ordering Champagne,  caviar, appetizers, and meals to anywhere on the ship.  I've never seen them chastised as you have been.  I suspect you are not planning on doing this every night and will be respectful.  Ignore the Cruise Critic Food Police and have a direct discussion with the Seabourn staff. Go for it.  Enjoy all Seabourn has to offer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As somewhat of a pizza snob (being from NY originally and now making my own) the pizza at the Patio is decent, and much better than what we had on another cruise line that people think the food is great on, which was more a fast food pizza.  The issue is that if you just want a slice that pie could have been made 20 minutes ago and under a heat lamp.  You can order your own if you want a whole pie.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

In looking at the menus on the Source App, it appears that the Colonnade is the only venue serving a full breakfast. Does the Restaurant not serve breakfast as well?

On the Ovation in March 2022, the Restaurant was open for breakfast from 8:00a to 9:00a.

Also, not sure what you mean by "a full breakfast"?  The Patio serves breakfast from 8:00a to 9:30a, with various pastries and muffins, fruit, smoothies, an egg dish in a tagine, and some sort of bread or tortilla dish. 

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

In looking at the menus on the Source App, it appears that the Colonnade is the only venue serving a full breakfast. Does the Restaurant not serve breakfast as well?

I often have my breakfast in the Restaurant.  There is a very good menu and I enjoy the white tablecloth serenity.  Comparative few guests take advantage of the Restaurant for breakfast. Sometimes the service can be slow--but not if you have a good waiter.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are considering a first-time Seabourn cruise and have a question about cigarette smoking onboard.  Online information seems to be all over the map, historically, with smoking allowed "on the bar stools" at one venue, and permitted on outside several decks.  For recent cruisers, do you find this to be the case?  We have sailed almost exclusively with Azamara in the past, where interesting ports, warmly welcoming crew, and relaxed ambience kept us coming back.  Now, with the reports of cheap wines and music constantly blaring on the pool deck, we are dropping bookings and looking for a change.  Thank you for this thread, and I look forward to reading a response...

I have rarely noticed any smoke. In the past, there was an outdoor space on the back of deck 5 (?) where smokers can imbide, usually cigars.  It is easily avoided. Bar stools, perhaps on one of the upper decks which are usually empty.  Otherwise it's not a smoking crowd.

You will certainly find interesting ports, warmly welcoming crew and a relaxed vibe. The passenger make up also reflects those traits. The included wines are generally decent.  If you don't like one, ask for another. They will happily pour until you have found the one you like. 

• Like 3