More Newbie Questions

ernieb

22 hours ago, Ithikan said:

Well, this is all sounding very positive.  Thank you so much, highplanesdrifter.  Seabourn Odyssey, here we come!

You are very welcome. Don't forget, if there is something you would like while on board, just ask.  Staff will do what they can to accomodate your wishes. Look forward to your report and enjoy.

As far as pizza goes....... On Seabourn, it's good to pretty good. Silversea pizza is much better. Now that the patio turns into Earth and Ocean at night, I'm not sure they do pizza in the evening.  Anyone? While I don't choose my trips based on pizza quality, I consider it a bonus to get a great one. A slice and a salad is the perfect comfort food after a long day of excursions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

As far as pizza goes....... On Seabourn, it's good to pretty good. Silversea pizza is much better. Now that the patio turns into Earth and Ocean at night, I'm not sure they do pizza in the evening.  Anyone?

Our only Silversea cruises were on the Silver Galapagos (which did not have pizza) and the Silver Wind.  The larger, newer ships may have better pizza, and, as with Seabourn, it depends on the individuals making the pizza, but the pizza on the Wind was poor to inedible.  We are originally from Brooklyn, so cardboard, generally served lukewarm, is not what we prefer!

Currently on Seabourn pizza is available at the Patio from 12:30p to 3:30p.  We do not remember pizza on Seabourn in the evening.  We did not have dinner at the Patio, but do not remember seeing it when we passed by.

Edited by FlyingScotSailors
Added info on current Seabourn pizza.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the pizza feedback!  Growing up in NJ on mom & pop pizza, my father worked at a boardwalk Pizzaria as a teen, so I've had plenty of exposure to good pizza.  I'm not trying to waste calories on something mediocre, nor would I cruise for the pizza quality - but good pizza would certainly be an added benefit!  At least my Seabourn cruise ends in Rome, so they'll be plenty of good options there.

Edited by ciaoYacht
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ciaoYacht said:

At least my Seabourn cruise ends in Rome, so they'll be plenty of good options there.

The best pizza we tasted in Italy was in Venice.. (keep in mind everything is personal taste)

• Like 2

Just off 27 days on the Ovation where we had our share of pizza.  The pizza by the slice (at the patio from 12:30 to 3:30) was eatable but just barely.  The problem is they only put out 2 kinds (one of which is basic margarita) which can sit for a long time cooling under an inadequate heat lamp.  As others have mentioned you can order custom pizzas at the patio and they are much better since you get them hot.  The downside is that it is another of those Seabourn secrets since there is no mention in the menus of being able to order pizza.  It took us weeks of cruising on SB until

we learned of this option from another passenger.  Compared to many other lines that we have cruises we think SB Pizza is on one of the lowest rungs.

Hank

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lincslady said:

Pizza and salad for dinner?  OK for lunch, maybe, to me but I would want something more interesting in the evening.🙂

That's what makes a market. How wonderful we each have those choices. 😀 For me, I like a break from the pomp of formal dinner every once in awhile, especially on a long cruise. I think of it as the sorbet of cruise ship dining. 

• Like 1

It is not the 'pomp' for  formal dinner I crave, just several small courses of interesting choices!  Could be at the back of the Colonnade, on deck,  or the new (haven't had the chance to try it) Earth and Ocean by the pool which sounds lovely.

I've never tried the pizza on a Seabourn ship.  Perhaps I shouldn't. It has never occurred to me to expect it to be anything special. It would not be worth the calories to even try it.  On the other hand,   I love the Napa Burger  served around the pool.    Of course everything related to food is subjective.  And when you realize how many different places we all come from, I'm amazed that any food served meets everyones' approval.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I love the Napa Burger  served around the pool.    Of course everything related to food is subjective.

Just to confirm that everything related to food is subjective, I don't like the Napa burger as I don't like the cheese they use and it tastes odd to me. I prefer the standard Seabourn burger. 🙂

10 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Just to confirm that everything related to food is subjective, I don't like the Napa burger as I don't like the cheese they use and it tastes odd to me. I prefer the standard Seabourn burger. 🙂

And I love everything about the Napa, including the cheese.  Just proves my point!  Most food is subjective.  As has been discussed before.  I'm sure I would like the standard Seabourn burger as well, but love the Napa.  I wonder what kind of cheese is on it.  

Edited to add:  I just did a bit of research and found this:  

Thomas Keller's signature beef-and-pork Napa burger on Seabourn ships, for example, has aged cheddar and is served rather rare.Nov 26, 2018

So--I also love aged cheddar and rare meat!  No wonder I like the Napa Burger.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

I love love love the Napa Burger (and their chips!), and limit myself to one per week because I could easily eat one every lunch time, which would mean I would be unable to get in my front door when I get home! 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mauzac said:

love love love the Napa Burger (and their chips!), and limit myself to one per week because I could easily eat one every lunch time, which would mean I would be unable to get in my front door when I get home! 🤣

Ha, the last time I had a burger was over 20 years ago ... and I can't see me ever having another! 😁

I have tried the Napa burger, out of curiosity, and it is tasty enough, but neither a burger, hot dog or pizza appeals particularly when you are on a ship which is hopefully gong to produce interesting and unusual dishes which you don't get at home.

38 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have tried the Napa burger, out of curiosity, and it is tasty enough, but neither a burger, hot dog or pizza appeals particularly when you are on a ship which is hopefully gong to produce interesting and unusual dishes which you don't get at home.

It's just that burger that does it for me... everything else like pizza, hot dog etc doesn't float my boat (a pun on words there!) I think its a guilty pleasure thing for me! 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

It's just that burger that does it for me... I think its a guilty pleasure thing for me! 

And ain't a dang thing wrong with guilty pleasures .....as long as they aren't illegal (or you get caught!) lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We don't do buffets ever , so for lunch we either have lunch in the Colonnade from the limited menu of foods a waiter will bring,  in the Restaurant, or around the pool.  I do try to limit my Napa Burgers to TWO a week.  

• Like 2

Many mentions of the Napa Burger:  specifically, what is this sandwich?  

Hot dogs, burgers, pizza, macaroni and cheese, etc.?  On a cruise that lasts for many days, some times a meal of "comfort food" is a welcome change from the gourmet food that is not on my usual menu at home.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Many mentions of the Napa Burger:  specifically, what is this sandwich?  

Hot dogs, burgers, pizza, macaroni and cheese, etc.?  On a cruise that lasts for many days, some times a meal of "comfort food" is a welcome change from the gourmet food that is not on my usual menu at home.  

It's a special hamburger.  Definitely a hamburger in style and substance---not just a sandwich from my viewpoint.  

15 minutes ago, MWillow said:

It’s described as an RR ranch beef and pork patty, 5 year aged Wisconsin cheddar, house made thousand island served on a potato brioche bun with lettuce, tomato, onion  and pickles.  

Sounds delicious!  But, RR Ranch Beef?  HAL's Pinnacle Grill went to this brand of beef for their beef entrees.  Many of us found that beef to be inferior in comparison to what had been served.  HAL has since replaced RR Ranch beef from a much better supplier.  

7 minutes ago, SLSD said:

It's a special hamburger.  Definitely a hamburger in style and substance---not just a sandwich from my viewpoint.  

Yes, the sandwich does sound like a better burger than many, but, why the "Napa" designation?