Experiences with Abbott BinaxNOW™ for RC

Does anyone else wish that the Abbott Binex test kits would come in smaller packaging?

It would be much easier to pack in your carryon bag when needed to take with you on flights.

I know I do !!!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Does anyone else wish that the Abbott Binex test kits would come in smaller packaging?

It would be much easier to pack in your carryon bag when needed to take with you on flights.

I know I do!!!

Your wish may soon be granted. Competition in the marketplace:classic_biggrin: We are using IHealth monitored tests for our cruise next week. (Small Boxes). And this great find by another Cruise Critic member (Apologies, I bookmarked it, but didn't note his name) allows you to use just about any FDA approved home covid test and receive a monitored lab report. They have a list of tests. (all small boxes). I will let everyone know for sure next week, but according to RC, proctored home tests are acceptable. :classic_biggrin: 

Link: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/ 

• Like 3

I just ordered 3 tests for my 3 family members—but now I’m thinking I better order more. However, in addition to the Abbott BinaxNow that I ordered, I also have a few iHealth and Quidel QuickVue tests that I got from the government. If something went wrong with the Abbott tests, would I be able to use one of the others? Or do the proctors work for Abbott so I can only use those tests?

24 minutes ago, shof515 said:

for the ihealth test kits you can use this https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

for the quidel quickvue and another test kits  it looks like you can use above mention proctor: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/

You are the best! Thanks so much!!

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

I find using a laptop is the easiest...I can then access my email and print the hard copy. It seems that having a hard copy works best considering the several staff in the terminal that have had to look at it.

thanks.

I will keep in mind if Walgreens cancels next week.

Everyone says paper copy best for all docs when getting on board.  Too much use of cell phone and hold up the line

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

Your wish may soon be granted. Competition in the marketplace:classic_biggrin: We are using IHealth monitored tests for our cruise next week. (Small Boxes). And this great find by another Cruise Critic member (Apologies, I bookmarked it, but didn't note his name) allows you to use just about any FDA approved home covid test and receive a monitored lab report. They have a list of tests. (all small boxes). I will let everyone know for sure next week, but according to RC, proctored home tests are acceptable. :classic_biggrin: 

Link: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/ 

thanks for this! i have a ton of rapid tests from the gov. i'd much rather use one that I already have than order more. and it's less expensive to just have to pay for someone to watch it....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Questions about the Abbott online testing/proctored.

1. The binax 2-pack test. Is this good for two people? If I buy the Binax Now two pack testing kit, does this suffice for two people? I am confused because they want you to open the box in front of them. Or, is each test enclosed in their own individual boxes? The two pack is like $69.

2. Do you have to call them back, or stay online with them waiting for the results?

3. Do you show them the results on camera or do they just ask you what YOU see?

4. Has there ever been any issues having to wait for the proctor?

5. Do I need to install an app?

Edited by johnjen

16 minutes ago, johnjen said:

1. The binax 2-pack test. Is this good for two people?

2. Do you have to call them back, or stay online with them waiting for the results?

3. Do you show them the results on camera or do they just ask you what YOU see?

4. Has there ever been any issues having to wait for the proctor?

5. Do I need to install an app?

Yes.

Stay online

They need to see the test on camera

Someone may have an example, but very unlikely on average

If you want to do it on a mobile device, yes, otherwise on a laptop you just use the web browser

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes.

Stay online

They need to see the test on camera

Someone may have an example, but very unlikely on average

If you want to do it on a mobile device, yes, otherwise on a laptop you just use the web browser

I downloaded the NAVICA app. Is that right? And, do they email me the docs I need to board, or do they notify the cruise line?

2 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I downloaded the NAVICA app. Is that right? And, do they email me the docs I need to board, or do they notify the cruise line?

Yes, that is the correct app.  The results will be available in the app within minutes of you hanging up the phone after the test.  You can show the results from the app when boarding, or you can print the results.  I found it easier to access the website to print the results.  They do not notify the cruise line.

Cool - and thanks for you guys answering my questions. Our cruise is in July but I will now go ahead and order the two-pack tests for my wife and I and won't open them until testing day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnjen said:

We have always just gone to the emed website to start the test and connect to the proctor- there are 2 buttons on the home  page- "order now" and "start test". Once you click start test, you are prompted to sign into your emed account and then will be connected to proctor, who will then guide you through opening the test box and doing the test. You remain connected for the 15 min processing time but the 1st proctor will leave and then at the 15 min another proctor  will come into view and review the results..

The results are available on the Navica site and also via email.

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:52 AM, jhigdon said:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-emed-test-kit-rc-2-pack/

I'm interested in hearing about your experience in using this product to sail/meet the COVID sailing requirements. I've heard people say they opened their box and not all the items were there, and I'm wondering if that's a common issue.

We have used 12 tests so far with the very first one we ever did missing the solution. They do replace the defective kit but having one extra for piece of mind is worth it for us.

Ihealth tests/testing is SOLDOUT on the website. We are going on Allure July 9th. We will need to test on July 7th. What tests can we use with proctoring? And where do I buy them? Should I buy them now?

31 minutes ago, eabplus2 said:

OMG the emed test a 6 pack is now $150. I need 4 as we are a family of 4. Yikes.

Crazy. I hope this crap goes away before we cruise in July. But I guess it's baby steps away from this nonsense!

• Like 2

I downloaded the NAVICA app on my phone. I hope this is good enough for the two of us to take the test using just my phone - or are they real particularly into semantics where it MUST be on YOUR phone (the tester)?

1 minute ago, johnjen said:

I downloaded the NAVICA app on my phone. I hope this is good enough for the two of us to take the test using just my phone - or are they real particularly into semantics where it MUST be on YOUR phone (the tester)?

You just need to make sure each individual tested has their own NAVICA account.  

• Thanks 1

Two are teenagers. One is 16. I have to see if she cann have her own account. I think the answer is "NO", but she can swab her own nose. My other child is 13. I will have to swab her nose. 

2 hours ago, eabplus2 said:

OMG the emed test a 6 pack is now $150. I need 4 as we are a family of 4. Yikes.

Pretty sure it's been $150 since they started selling them. You can add proctoring to any existing free gov't test for $20 ea.

DH and I used ours a few weeks ago with zero issues.   I had ordered 4 to have 2 backups but we didn't need the extras. I will order two more for our next cruise in July.  The entire process took about 30  minutes for each of us.  

2 hours ago, eabplus2 said:

Two are teenagers. One is 16. I have to see if she cann have her own account. I think the answer is "NO", but she can swab her own nose. My other child is 13. I will have to swab her nose. 

Our 16 year old had his own Navica account.   Was super easy for him to just open the app at checkin and show his negative test on his phone.

2 hours ago, johnjen said:

You can both use the same device (we used our laptop) however only one person at a time can be tested. This makes the process go much slower.

• Thanks 1