The Daily for Thursday 04/21/2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Our town didn't have a kindergarten when I began school, but it didn't hurt me; I  began school at age 5 and graduated at age 16.  Whenever I think of bulldogs, I think of England.  We love tea, especially the fruity ones commonly found at the tea/coffee station on BHB's.  

Just popping in for a few minutes before heading off to shower, change and pack up the car.  The sun is shining and the temperature is warming up, so that means we're heading out on the highway for a play date with our grandsons.  Oh, and to visit their parents, too.

We haven't been to Newfoundland, I would like to try today's wine if someone else buys me a bottle, don't think I'd like the drink of the day, and would also like to try today's menu selection.  I don't know what will be for dinner tonight, but I'm sure it will be tasty, as someone else will be preparing it.  We'll have a nice dinner, great conversation and lots of love around the table.  And wine.

Happy 96th Birthday to HRH Queen Elizabeth.  

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid for them.  Extra also for our Daily family who are having health issues and struggling to help their families with theirs.  We'll clink the glasses together (sippy cups, too) to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear your masks, wash your hands and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

Many thanks for the suggestions about Greece and Turkey yesterday! I'm not sure how much walking I'll be able to do, but I've made plans for some of the ports -- plans that can be changed if need be. (I am completely ambulatory, but my Achilles tendon is still painful.)

This afternoon I go to a gastroenterology office, preliminary to a colonoscopy. My appointment is with a nurse-practitioner and if I see a doctor at all it will be only briefly. I've signed up for a clinical trial of a non-invasive alternative, but to stay in it I have to get the colonoscopy by May 30, which may or may not be possible. I'm also in a trial for a vaccine against RSV, but for that I only have to report once a week that I'm well, or sooner if I'm not.

• Like 22

Good morning all...very quick update.  As I type, I'm sitting in my daughter's hospital room.  You may recall that I mentioned a while back I was headed to VA to help her out with the anxiety and that she was recovering from an infection in her incision area.  I was there for 11 days (longest separation from my husband since we married 35 years ago) - working remotely as I could but mostly running the household and helping with the baby.  I went home Easter as a good friend of hers from DC was coming to stay for this week.

By Tuesday afternoon, she was in grotesque pain and obviously quite ill.  Her husband rushed her to the ER and I threw clothes back in a suitcase and was back in the car.  I arrived before 1am to the hospital.

She developed pancreatitis as a result of a gallstone that had lodged - that caused most of the pain and the worst of it Tuesday was likely the stone finally dislodging.  She's scheduled for surgery at 12:30 today to have the gall bladder removed, and they are hopeful that the pancreas will return to good health.  They will run tests this afternoon to see how that healing is progressing.

My son-in-law has been at the house taking wonderful care of sweet Lana.  My role is essentially helping care for my daughter here, but primarily to do the 'milk runs' every three hours.  She is a nursing mom, so every three hours she is pumping and I take the supply back to the house.  Fortunately, the house is only about 4 miles away so it doesn't take long.  Sleep comes in about 2 hour snippets overnight.

Her birth story for her daughter is one filled with challenges.  We are so hopeful that this is the last hurdle to get over, and that by next week she is feeling much better physically.  

I'll try to catch up when I can...I know that there are so many here who have challenges as well and I pray for all of you each day.  Now, more than ever, I understand that we each have burdens to carry that are made much lighter when there are friends to lift us up.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 19

Good morning.   It is gray and warm here in SW Michigan and it will get up to near 60 and clear up.  Today is the day that our garden club bags 450 bare root maple trees for the 3rd graders in our area.  It is our annual Arbor Day project.   I always do it but not this year.   My cold is gone but there are always the respiratory issues from my asthma getting fired up.  It is not good to breathe in potting mix that we put in the plastic bags with the trees.   

Kindergarten was a double for me.  We lived in a rural area so they school system did not want to run a bus out there to take one child home.  So I had kindergarten twice a day with a set of morning friends and a set of afternoon friends.  Thankfully my teacher Mrs. Voorhees was kind because I ate lunch with her every day.   It was very good for me because I was a shy child who loved learning.  Several bull dogs in my neighborhood.    I love tea but mainly chilled.  I used to drink the Pure Leaf bottled tea but when Covid supply chain problems I just started making my own and keeping a pitcher in the fridge.   3 bags of Lipton and 3 bags of Twining's Irish breakfast make a good substitute with less plastic going into the environment.   The quote seems kind of crazy to my IMHO.   The meatball pizzas look tasty and I like Rachel Ray's the best but it needed more red sauce.   The drink is just too fussy to me and the wine has always been to pricy for us to have any in the cellar.  Costco does offer on in the $20 range that is pretty good.   We have never been to Newfoundland although we owned a pair when I was a child.  

Prayers for all on Roy's care list, the people of Mariupol, Tana and Jaqui and Jose.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine and their brave soldiers.   

Today a Pileated Woodpecker visited the suet feeder.  The bird and its' mate squawked on the railing to announce their presence.  This is the first time this year.  The Baltimore Orioles are due here around May 3.    

Pileated 42122.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all...very quick update.  As I type, I'm sitting in my daughter's hospital room.  You may recall that I mentioned a while back I was headed to VA to help her out with the anxiety and that she was recovering from an infection in her incision area.  I was there for 11 days (longest separation from my husband since we married 35 years ago) - working remotely as I could but mostly running the household and helping with the baby.  I went home Easter as a good friend of hers from DC was coming to stay for this week.

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 18

Yesterday's eye exam at Costco went fine - prescription hasn't changed and there were no eye health issues. Now I will drag Mitzi there to get her final approval on new eyeglass frames. I took selfies with the 6 or 7 that I liked which helped her narrow down the choices. 

Yesterday I noticed one lonely crocus starting to bloom! It is almost time to rake the leaves out of the gardens. 

Huge Paella in the Lido during the last cruise -

1347184395_20220403_184556(2).thumb.jpg.3e3413fef6bac71dd732aaadcd41221b.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from sunny Deming, NM.  Not sure what time we'll be on the road today, but we don't have to drive as far today .

The school district where i grew up did not have kindergarten, but I attended a private kindergarten which was in the sunroom of the teacher's house.  Never had nor been around bulldogs.  Occasionally, I'll have a cup ot hot tea, but I'm mainly an iced tea drinker. 

I'm not sure about the quote.  We'll pass on the drink and the meal.  The wine sounds nice, and it should at that price.

We were supposed to visit St. Anthony in 2009, but it was too rough to tender.

@kazu Jacqui, I hope today is a better er day. 

@smitty34877  I also hope today is better, and you can get some help.  

@msmayor  I'm sorry your DD needs surgery today.  Hope the gallbladder removal solves her problems.  She is lucky you and her DH are there helping.

@ger_77  Safe travels and have a wonderful visit, Gerry.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you both are feeling better and don't have a fever.

This is the best picture of three that I have of St. Anthony.

IMG_6051.thumb.JPG.c8008af30981ccf95a90f70a68bf6654.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

@msmayor 🙏🙏 Prayers for your DD, her medical team, and that the improvements in her physical health will lead to strengthening her emotional stamina. Prayers also for your brand new DGD, your DSIL, plus for you while you help out and for your DH fending on his own. 🙏🙏

• Like 20

@msmayorso sorry to hear about your daughter’s trials and tribulations.  Bless you for helping in her time of need. Praying that the surgery helps your daughter and that she can recover in good health &  Praying for strength for you 🙏 

• Like 16

Today is definitely a day to be thankful for everything we have, good and bad. Prayers for @kazu Jacqui and Jose, @msmayorfor her, her DD and baby Lana, @smitty34877for all helping with Tana and for her son, for all those Dailyites who have lately had loved ones cross over the rainbow 🌈 bridge, and for all facing health and family challenges. Here’s hoping for brighter days and abundant sunshine in all our lives 🙏. Susan 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

@msmayorI am so sorry to hear about your daughter Lana.    I am thankful they figured out what is wrong with her and I will pray that her pancreas kicks back in after her gall bladder surgery.   🙏

@msmayorWhat a time you have all had!!!Hope your DD recovers quickly from all this and can soon be home with her husband and baby. The family is going to need together time after all of this.

Susan

• Like 19

We are anticipating a visit to New England and Canada in August and September of 2023, on the Zaandam, with four stops in Newfoundland. We are scheduled to stop in St. Anthony on September 8th. 

Thanks to @Quartzsite Cruiser for the picture. Looking forward to more pictures and reports of that port.

• Like 21

58 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Today a Pileated Woodpecker visited the suet feeder.

Once, as I was walking along a woodland trail, one flew right in front of me. It scared me so much that I almost fell into a creek!

• Like 12
  • Haha 7

Good morning. Finally, a day when I am not rushing out the door. I have been keeping up with Daily, but reading seems to be the extent of things this week. So much for retirement.

We continue sunny and dry and are nervously watching the fires in New Mexico and Arizona. I plan to put together an "evacuation bag" today, just in case. We need rain badly and some showers are possible this weekend. In addition to the moisture it would give us a test to see if they have gotten all the leaks on the roof sealed this time. Meanwhile buckets are at the ready. 

Shelter is full these days.... lots of dogs being surrendered for some reason. And we are housing several court holds for various reasons. Meanwhile, the plans for renovation work this summer continues.... new flooring, new tiles in the ceiling (many are water stained), new paint and even more importantly..... new kennels!!!! All will hopefully be completed by mid-September. Whew!!! Meanwhile, on the home front we are scheduled for a new roof on my condo building and a new kitchen for me. Did I mention I hate to living in a construction zone??? But.... all of this is easy compared what others are dealing with. My best wishes to all. I can't imagine dealing with some of your issues.

For those posting from cruises, please keep it up.... it is the thing that keeps many of us going.

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Shelter is full these days.... lots of dogs being surrendered for some reason.

In 2020 and 2021, many people got dogs to be companions during the various stages of stay-home orders. I imagine fatigue is setting in, as caring for a dog is not as easy as some think.

Here is a quote from an article written in November of 2021: "In March 2020, Americans began experiencing numerous lifestyle changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some reports have suggested that pet acquisition and ownership increased during this period, and some have suggested shelters and rescues will be overwhelmed once pandemic-related restrictions are lifted and lifestyles shift yet again." 

Here is a link to that article: Frontiers | Characterizing Pet Acquisition and Retention During the COVID-19 Pandemic | Veterinary Science (frontiersin.org)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5