Bacon comparison - Now & Then

cruzin4us

I love bacon, while I know it's not everyone's "thing", I thought I'd share a comparison from the Pinnacle Grill from 2019 vs Now.    This was noticeably different than my 2019 cruise.     

I was disappointed....especially since the price increase went from $39 to $49/pp.   There were additional cutbacks in the Pinnacle, but this one bugged me the most.

Sincerely,

The Bacon Lover

PS:  Don't think that because there was 4 strips it makes up the difference.....LOL.  We just ordered an additional strip because there were 4 of us dining.

801543EE-64A9-46A0-A0E6-C9EA0E1C8E00.jpeg

525EE1CE-29D3-4CBE-A5B8-23A29610575F.jpeg

• Like 2

Big difference!  Clearly, they are now using plain old regular sliced bacon rather than some very meaty thick sliced in the past. It makes for a completely different mouth feel when bitten into!

I hope it's just temporary!  

18 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

the "new" bacon also looks very fatty and greasy as compared to the product served in the past - hardly anything exceptional other than being on hooks.

The bacon was coated in a sweet sauce or glaze of some sort.    This picture was the better of the 2 that we ordered.  The other (which I should have taken a picture of but didn't) was even thinner and 1/2 as long.  

Tried this PG version on Bacon and will not order it again.  The regular bacon that I have been served in the MDR or Lido Restaurant suits me just fine.  Ordering bacon from Room Service once provided a quantity worthy of the "probable consumption of the Jolly Green Giant".  

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I love bacon, while I know it's not everyone's "thing", I thought I'd share a comparison from the Pinnacle Grill from 2019 vs Now.    This was noticeably different than my 2019 cruise.     

I was disappointed....especially since the price increase went from $39 to $49/pp.   There were additional cutbacks in the Pinnacle, but this one bugged me the most.

Sincerely,

The Bacon Lover

PS:  Don't think that because there was 4 strips it makes up the difference.....LOL.  We just ordered an additional strip because there were 4 of us dining.

801543EE-64A9-46A0-A0E6-C9EA0E1C8E00.jpeg

525EE1CE-29D3-4CBE-A5B8-23A29610575F.jpeg

I was also disappointed in the quality of the clothes-line bacon post covid. It was okay, but not the same as back in January of 2020.

• Like 1

On on our recent Rotterdam cruise we also didn’t feel the Pinnacle hanging bacon was of the quality we remembered but hey it was still good. It’s Bacon!

We are also open to the fact that in several cases things are not the norm we have grown accustomed to.
 You can hear similar comments on all cruise lines.

Just returned from our first Azamara cruise which we thought was fantastic. We felt there was many things in place that were what we experienced in Hal years ago.

That being said I peruse the Azamara CC boards and there are many negative post about food quality etc. etc. Surely not our experience we loved it.

With current inflation, the financials of cruise line, shortages and added cost of meeting CDC protocols, testing and crew shortages. We try and keep an open mind and we still have a great time. Many of the crew are new and thanks for the vets.

What I’m really trying to say after over 50 days of sailing since last October there are some differences and you should expect that. It may not be as you remembered and not  be perfect but it’s still a great traveling experience.

As many of you know we recently got put in quarantine on the last leg of our Rotterdam cruise. We were well taken care of but not a memorable experience.
The crud is still out there and as we all are starting to get green lights to go back to life pre Covid we should be cognizant that we are vulnerable.
As long as there is  mandatory testing there is always the chance of playing Monopoly and going straight to jail and not collecting $200.00! Be aware and careful.

Enjoy your next cruise and be a little open minded.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

the "new" bacon also looks very fatty and greasy as compared to the product served in the past - hardly anything exceptional other than being on hooks.

just had this last month on the Rotterdam....had three thickish slices, and it was plenty, not to mention delicious.

• Like 2

I don't know who dreamed up this strange idea that bacon would be great strung out like that and served for dinner.  I never heard of such a thing. Among my cravings for something delicious for dinner, bacon is certainly not even within the realm of possibility of consideration.  Weird.

• Like 5

My guess is that the inconsistency in thickness, quality and number of pieces is more driven by a week-by-week, port-by-port supply chain issue.  Hopefully if the word ever returns to "normal" with foodstuffs and supply chain we will see a more consistent product overall.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, aliaschief said:

On on our recent Rotterdam cruise we also didn’t feel the Pinnacle hanging bacon was of the quality we remembered but hey it was still good. It’s Bacon!

We are also open to the fact that in several cases things are not the norm we have grown accustomed to.
 You can hear similar comments on all cruise lines.

Just returned from our first Azamara cruise which we thought was fantastic. We felt there was many things in place that were what we experienced in Hal years ago.

That being said I peruse the Azamara CC boards and there are many negative post about food quality etc. etc. Surely not our experience we loved it.

With current inflation, the financials of cruise line, shortages and added cost of meeting CDC protocols, testing and crew shortages. We try and keep an open mind and we still have a great time. Many of the crew are new and thanks for the vets.

What I’m really trying to say after over 50 days of sailing since last October there are some differences and you should expect that. It may not be as you remembered and not  be perfect but it’s still a great traveling experience.

As many of you know we recently got put in quarantine on the last leg of our Rotterdam cruise. We were well taken care of but not a memorable experience.
The crud is still out there and as we all are starting to get green lights to go back to life pre Covid we should be cognizant that we are vulnerable.
As long as there is  mandatory testing there is always the chance of playing Monopoly and going straight to jail and not collecting $200.00! Be aware and careful.

Enjoy your next cruise and be a little open minded.

I'm thinking this may be true of the travel industry in general.  Look at hotels ... daily housekeeping deteriorated into "Our housekeepers cannot enter your room while you are lodged with us because it may be contaminated with the virus."  Then that morphed into ... "No housekeeping but just call the front desk if you need more towels and we'll bring them right up." (usually didn't happen)  Now it's "Housekeeping on request - the choice is yours."  Yeah, right.  They discovered this policy saves them thousands/millions of dollars since they can hire fewer staff and wash less laundry.  It's here to stay.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

I'm thinking this may be true of the travel industry in general.  Look at hotels ... daily housekeeping deteriorated into "Our housekeepers cannot enter your room while you are lodged with us because it may be contaminated with the virus."  Then that morphed into ... "No housekeeping but just call the front desk if you need more towels and we'll bring them right up." (usually didn't happen)  Now it's "Housekeeping on request - the choice is yours."  Yeah, right.  They discovered this policy saves them thousands/millions of dollars since they can hire fewer staff and wash less laundry.  It's here to stay.

This is the problem.  The more people tolerate, the more these companies will try to push the envelope.

• Like 4

I had the bacon on the Zuiderdam in February.  First time.  Would not order again.  Not that much of a bacon fan.  So, all of the bacon lovers can have mine!  It was cooked fine, I guess,  it just weird. 

Edited by cruzn single

15 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

I had the bacon on the Zuiderdam in February.  First time.  Would not order again.  Not that much of a bacon fan.  So, all of the bacon lovers can have mine!  It was cooked fine, I guess,  it just weird. 

I’m with you.  Why ruin a good piece on bacon this way.