Carnival Cruise Line delays on-line check-in.

pshhi2016

Just found out when booking the Mardi Gras for Jan 2023 that you cannot do your on-line check-in more than 2 weeks prior to sail date.

Cruise in 2019 was at 30 days out time span and crew at pier stated had multiple people pulled aside to complete. So not sure why time was shortened even more except by someone who does not understand logistics nor "customer centric".

Always did same right after cruise deposited to get out of the way and prevent forgetting to do so.

2 week window is usually busy with work & school schedules / get travel docs together /  child/pet care / house sitter / packing / stopping mail & newspaper; etc.

Not sure what "brain trust" ☹️ decided this but it can and will cause multiple issues at pier. So be prepared to WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😬

1 minute ago, hapytobehr said:

Since I have been on Carnival  it's ALWAYS been 14 days prior to sailing (16 days for plat/diam).

Until this year, the last time I had cruised was 2014.  It was open earlier back then. 

10 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Until this year, the last time I had cruised was 2014.  It was open earlier back then. 

I’ve been on 14 cruises with Carnival, 13 of them before the pandemic.

All of them allowed me to check in weeks or months in advance, except the most recent one in August of 2021; and my upcoming cruise next month.

The extra two days (16 instead of 14) for Platinum/Diamond is a bonus they are giving because there currently is no “priority” line available.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, pshhi2016 said:

Just found out when booking the Mardi Gras for Jan 2023 that you cannot do your on-line check-in more than 2 weeks prior to sail date.

Cruise in 2019 was at 30 days out time span and crew at pier stated had multiple people pulled aside to complete. So not sure why time was shortened even more except by someone who does not understand logistics nor "customer centric".

Always did same right after cruise deposited to get out of the way and prevent forgetting to do so.

2 week window is usually busy with work & school schedules / get travel docs together /  child/pet care / house sitter / packing / stopping mail & newspaper; etc.

Not sure what "brain trust" ☹️ decided this but it can and will cause multiple issues at pier. So be prepared to WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😬

It's been this way since the restart and we've never had to wait on the 4 cruises we've done since then. You are right though as you used to be able to check in after you made final payment. Hasn't been an issue under the current rules though. 😎

• Like 1

Welcome to the Post-Shutdown world. I haven't had any problems on the three cruises so far since the restart and my overall observation is this new system is working more efficiently. It may be directly related to needed  the COVID vaccination now that must be taken at least 14 days prior to cruising.

25 minutes ago, Dadofsix said:

Welcome to the Post-Shutdown world. I haven't had any problems on the three cruises so far since the restart and my overall observation is this new system is working more efficiently. It may be directly related to needed  the COVID vaccination now that must be taken at least 14 days prior to cruising.

Indeed, it seems this is in place with the 2-week timeline because now there is no excuse for mis-stating your current vax status and other elements of the health questionnaire.  

If I checked in 90 days prior to sail date (like it used to be) and some new requirement evolved (like requiring a booster, or timing/type of your COVID test, or being able to speak Klingon, or whatever) in between checking-in and actual sailing, I might not be aware until I get to the check-in line at the port.

Now, it is clearer what is expected for your sailing, since it is a closer horizon.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

What's the big deal? We've been on 7 cruises since the start up (4 on Carnival and 3 on Holland) and the two week (16 days as we are Diamond and 2 weeks being 4* Mariners) has been fine. We leave on our 8th cruise in one week and did the check in on Carnival last week without any hiccups. No worries.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pshhi2016 said:

Why do you need to check in so early?  I don't get the complaint. Surely, choosing an early arrival time isn't that important. You'll still get on the ship.

I never check in until 24 hrs before embarkation.

7 hours ago, hapytobehr said:

Since I have been on Carnival  it's ALWAYS been 14 days prior to sailing (16 days for plat/diam).

I have been sailing carnival for... many... years, and while I can't remember what the check-in window was back in the day, I KNOW the extra two days for plat/diamond is new - like, new since the restart less than a year ago new.  There was no reason to allow elites to check in earlier until they 'had' to get everyone to schedule their arrival due to plague concerns.  I usually checked in a few days before sailing - as a frequent Carnival cruiser, I could always arrive when it suited me - but now I have to do it exactly 16 days before my cruise to get my desired time slot.  It's irritating but not a big deal from where I'm sitting - of the dozens of things I have to do in any particular two week period, this one is pretty much my favorite.

• Like 1

This change to a shorter period has lawyer written all over it. Nothing you can do, so check in when available. Since I've been cruising the embarkation has become easy. It was like a bee hive with people standing in long lines and buzzing all over the terminal. Now I "sail" through the Dome with almost no delay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virga said:

I have been sailing carnival for... many... years, and while I can't remember what the check-in window was back in the day, I KNOW the extra two days for plat/diamond is new - like, new since the restart less than a year ago new.  There was no reason to allow elites to check in earlier until they 'had' to get everyone to schedule their arrival due to plague concerns.  I usually checked in a few days before sailing - as a frequent Carnival cruiser, I could always arrive when it suited me - but now I have to do it exactly 16 days before my cruise to get my desired time slot.  It's irritating but not a big deal from where I'm sitting - of the dozens of things I have to do in any particular two week period, this one is pretty much my favorite.

Absolutely nothing to do with your post BUT I saw in your signature line that you are a recent convert! I follow a Facebook page for them but I never see posts anymore! It crossed my mind the other day!

1 hour ago, Tjcalley said:

Absolutely nothing to do with your post BUT I saw in your signature line that you are a recent convert! I follow a Facebook page for them but I never see posts anymore! It crossed my mind the other day!

Ahahaha, I have used mobile so long that I had forgotten what I must have set my signature as!  I am no longer a 'recent' convert, of course, but I am still grateful for my introduction to His Noodliness - RAmen!

7 hours ago, Virga said:

Ahahaha, I have used mobile so long that I had forgotten what I must have set my signature as!  I am no longer a 'recent' convert, of course, but I am still grateful for my introduction to His Noodliness - RAmen!

RAmen 🤣