Are Crew Members Wearing Masks?

suisse_soul

Hi All,

I couldn’t find a current answer searching online- are crew members currently wearing masks onboard? The last information I found stated they weren’t required to outdoors but would do so indoors. I’m not sure if that is still the policy.  Thanks! 

100% of the crew and even the most  guest entertainers when walking around. I’ve very rarely seen a cabin steward with one down but they immediately put it back up when they see you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crew are so diligent at mask wearing that I witnessed them wearing masks indoors, outdoors, and on land, both alone and in a group of other crew members. I wore a mask 100% of the time, except while eating or in my cabin. I was on board 45 nights and am still healthy at home. As long as crew are masking, so will I, out of respect. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I am curious if they wear masks in seasons when the ship is Crew Only? I know the Westerdam and Zaandam have been “Green” for a while on the CDC Cruise Ship Color Status page, and am curious what the policy is when no passengers are onboard.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

I am curious if they wear masks in seasons when the ship is Crew Only? I know the Westerdam and Zaandam have been “Green” for a while on the CDC Cruise Ship Color Status page, and am curious what the policy is when no passengers are onboard.

Thanks!

I wonder.  On my cruise on the koningsdam I had a birds eye view of the Bridge.  Often I could see one officer doing the old man chin mask.

• Thanks 1

To the OP: Are you asking if crew members wear masks in front of guests? The answer is yes. This is still required on most cruise lines that crew mask up when fronting guests.

However; what happens off duty is a different matter. One of the many reasons that cruise ships are having difficulty staffing ships is the strict Covid protocols. In an attempt to attract more crew, cruise lines have eased many of the stipulations for crew, including mandatory mask wearing when off duty. In addition, fun things like below deck crew bars and social parties have reopened. It is unrealistic to expect lines to attract crew but require them to be masked 24/7 with no social life for months on end.

If you follow any of the crew social media pages, you will quickly note that an overwhelming number of crew want the mask mandated lifted entirely, especially since they already undergo continuous testing. Many complain that mandatory mask wearing in front of guests is theater only.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 4

On 4/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, tuolumne couple said:

Crew are so diligent at mask wearing that I witnessed them wearing masks indoors, outdoors, and on land, both alone and in a group of other crew members. I wore a mask 100% of the time, except while eating or in my cabin. I was on board 45 nights and am still healthy at home. As long as crew are masking, so will I, out of respect. 

Choice is awesome, isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Choice is awesome, isn't it?

Um, do you mean choice in general? I choose to follow ship recommendations, rather than not wear a mask and risk getting sick. I would say that Vaccines are also awesome. I got my second booster today. 

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

Um, do you mean choice in general? I choose to follow ship recommendations, rather than not wear a mask and risk getting sick. I would say that Vaccines are also awesome. I got my second booster today. 

Choice in general yes, but more specifically choice as to whether to mask up or not on the ships (while abiding by current rules and protocols). You choose to mask up on the ships, while I choose not to (unless required to do so). And both of us are in full compliance with the established protocols onboard. 🙂

Agree that boosters are awesome too. DW and I received our second boosters (4th shot) at the end of March..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Masks are recommended not optional.  Some people seem to confuse that.  If I’m at work and my boss recommends that I do a task I don’t think to myself oh she means it’s optional.  Pretty straightforward.  

I believe you are incorrect. Directly from the Hal webpage- I’d say this is pretty straightforward- even spells out the areas where masks may be required.

Masks: Masks are recommended on board but not required. However, masks may be required in certain venues and events. Masks are required during the embarkation and debarkation process and on transportation during shore excursions and to/from the ship. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

recommended - advise or suggest

optional- available to be chosen but not obligatory. 
required- mandatory 

not required-  not Mandatory 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe you are incorrect. Directly from the Hal webpage- I’d say this is pretty straightforward- even spells out the areas where masks may be required.

Masks: Masks are recommended on board but not required. However, masks may be required in certain venues and events. Masks are required during the embarkation and debarkation process and on transportation during shore excursions and to/from the ship. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

recommended - advise or suggest

optional- available to be chosen but not obligatory. 
required- mandatory 

not required-  not Mandatory 

That's exactly what Florida_gal_50 said. Masks aren't optional or required at all times on board, they are recommended. There is a difference. 

Further, public health has always had measures and rules in place to protect the general community. I work as a teacher, and whenever there is a case of lice, whooping cough, etc., we are notified by public health because a person's choice in this matter affects not only them, but those around them too. The same is true of mask wearing. It's another layer of protection.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, goldie099 said:

That's exactly what Florida_gal_50.

that is not what florida gal said. She said…”masks are recommended not optional”… which seems like a direct contradiction lol.

39 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Masks are recommended not optional.  

I can’t make heads or tails of that ^

7 minutes ago, goldie099 said:

Masks aren't optional or required at all times on board, they are recommended. There is a difference. .

This I ageee with 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Masks are recommended not optional.  Some people seem to confuse that.  If I’m at work and my boss recommends that I do a task I don’t think to myself oh she means it’s optional.  Pretty straightforward.  

Recommended equates to optional. They are recommended but not required (which allows choice). The cruise line is not our boss, we are their paying guests, so that critical distinction renders your work analogy irrelevant.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Recommended equates to optional. They are recommended but not required (which allows choice). The cruise line is not our boss, we are their paying guests, so that critical distinction renders your work analogy irrelevant.

Yes you and your buddy will give every excuse in the book to justify making bad choices. Blah blah blah it’s all about you.  Did you wear one when you got on the ship?  Are you vaccinated? Remember you are a paying guest and shouldn’t have to do anything like that.  You can just tell them to shove it because you paid for your cruise. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

that is not what florida gal said. She said…”masks are recommended not optional”… which seems like a direct contradiction lol.

Yup!

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can’t make heads or tails of that ^

This I ageee with 🙂

Nailed it

Edited by KroozNut
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes you and your buddy will give every excuse in the book to justify making bad choices. Blah blah blah it’s all about you.  Did you wear one when you got on the ship?  Are you vaccinated? Remember you are a paying guest and shouldn’t have to do anything like that.  You can just tell them to shove it because you paid for your cruise. 

bad choices.. according to who, you?

Did you wear one when you got on the ship? Yes, because I was required to, and I follow the rules. Once on the ship, mask wearing is optional.

Are you vaccinated? Yes, 4 times. and I've had and recovered from the virus... if you're truly interested.

• Like 2