Unacceptable Wine List

austinetc

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, we have a local steak joint where you can easily spend $20 for one glass of wine.  Yes, apiece...🍷

Still remember the day we went to Opus Winery in Napa Valley and a glass of Opus One cost $50/glass about 10 yrs ago. This was one of the premium wines on Princess that was hundreds of dollars per bottle, so driving past the winery we had to stop and try it.

20 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Still remember the day we went to Opus Winery in Napa Valley and a glass of Opus One cost $50/glass about 10 yrs ago. This was one of the premium wines on Princess that was hundreds of dollars per bottle, so driving past the winery we had to stop and try it.

How was it?

We live in an area where we are very fortunate to have amazing wines available in our backyard. Went to Opus a couple years back - they still charge that ridiculous amount for wines that absolutely are not ‘all that’. So i agree with you Heidi13.

That said, I have to admit, we love good wines. We are on vacation now, and just enjoyed a winery that offered some excellent choices for a premium price. I am okay with that for special occasions. I also have wines that I like at lower price points. 
We have learned that the SSP is Without a double worth it to us. Not necessarily because they offer great wines on that package. They have a small selection of  decent wines - many of which are international offerings. Some not so much.  The package also offers an opportunity to experience higher end cocktails - and that is also worthwhile to us. 
When we want a special occasion wine, we tend to pack one or two bottles to take to the restaurant on Viking where there is no corkage fee (unlike other lines), or if in the right part of the world, purchase some while in port. 

The price of SSP  compared to other lines per day cost for upgrades (which as far as we have experienced,  do not offer more premium choices than VIKING) really is very reasonable. 

So for us, would we like to see Viking upgrade their wine list? Absolutely!  It shouldn’t be that hard for a premium line to do so. Would we pay a little more if they did that, as long as it was reasonable, we would. Should we have to with what Viking charges us to sail with them - no, I do not think that we should. 
Just my two cents on the wine dilemma. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We live in an area where we are very fortunate to have amazing wines available in our backyard. Went to Opus a couple years back - they still charge that ridiculous amount for wines that absolutely are not ‘all that’. So i agree with you Heidi13.

That said, I have to admit, we love good wines. We are on vacation now, and just enjoyed a winery that offered some excellent choices for a premium price. I am okay with that for special occasions. I also have wines that I like at lower price points. 
We have learned that the SSP is Without a double worth it to us. Not necessarily because they offer great wines on that package. They have a small selection of  decent wines - many of which are international offerings. Some not so much.  The package also offers an opportunity to experience higher end cocktails - and that is also worthwhile to us. 
When we want a special occasion wine, we tend to pack one or two bottles to take to the restaurant on Viking where there is no corkage fee (unlike other lines), or if in the right part of the world, purchase some while in port. 

The price of SSP  compared to other lines per day cost for upgrades (which as far as we have experienced,  do not offer more premium choices than VIKING) really is very reasonable. 

So for us, would we like to see Viking upgrade their wine list? Absolutely!  It shouldn’t be that hard for a premium line to do so. Would we pay a little more if they did that, as long as it was reasonable, we would. Should we have to with what Viking charges us to sail with them - no, I do not think that we should. 
Just my two cents on the wine dilemma. 

Here we go again ----- . You have the "opportunity" to purchase/experience whatever you want regardless of how that purchase is made. Why is it so many think the SSBP conveys some special status?

Edited by duquephart

13 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Here we go again ----- . You have the "opportunity" to purchase/experience whatever you want regardless of how that purchase is made. Why is it so many think the SSBP conveys some special status?

Nobody thinks the SSBP conveys special status.  It is a cost effective decision for many but of course depends on individual taste and total consumption . 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Nobody thinks the SSBP conveys special status.  It is a cost effective decision for many but of course depends on individual taste and total consumption . 

Indeed. All I need is a wife who drinks more 😊.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, duquephart said:

Wow.  Really?  I was simply stating that for us, SSB is a decision we have made in the past and did not regret. It worked better for us than the included wines. How the heck is that misconstrued into ‘a special status? And  how is ‘regardless of how that purchase is made’ relevant?  We paid for it. But if it was part of a promotion - so what? And yes, with SSP I can also enjoy a nightly Grey Goose martini - that is a great ‘opportunity’ of SSP. 

• Like 2

Wow.  Really?  I was simply stating that for us, SSB is a decision we have made in the past and did not regret. It worked better for us than the included wines. How the heck is that misconstrued into ‘a special status? And  how is ‘regardless of how that purchase is made’ relevant?  We paid for it. But if it was part of a promotion - so what? And yes, with SSP I can also enjoy a nightly Grey Goose martini - that is a great ‘opportunity’ of SSP. 

Is having the SSP the only way to get a Grey Goose martini?

17 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

I had no problem ordering premium drinks at the bar on Viking.  Don't recall the price.

The guy I responded to seems to think the SSP is the only way to get them: "The package also offers an opportunity to experience higher end cocktails --- "

I'd like to point out that having a pulse affords the same opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I found the Viking bar tenders to be competent and friendly. A $20 tip at the start of the cruise also set a good tone in the Explorer bar.

Perhaps the poster's concern is reflected in the limits of the SSP offering. You get what Viking defines as premium, up to $15. Beyond that, you're signing the bar chit, alongside me

52 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

I found the Viking bar tenders to be competent and friendly. A $20 tip at the start of the cruise also set a good tone in the Explorer bar.

Perhaps the poster's concern is reflected in the limits of the SSP offering. You get what Viking defines as premium, up to $15. Beyond that, you're signing the bar chit, alongside me

In 9 months onboard Viking I never once signed a bar chit...🍸

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

Personally, I consider any money provided to the crew at the beginning of a cruise is a "Bribe" rather than a tip. Especially with Viking, I have never found it necessary to provide the crew with a "Bribe". We found the same great tone in all the bars/restaurants/lounges and based on the rumour; I may even have had some personal bottles assigned at a number of the bars. Based on the brilliant service we received, I can't imagine how it would have been improved by providing money up front.

Agree with Jim, never had to sign a bar chit and many days never even had to order. Simply walking up to a bar, or being seated in the MDR, resulted in a drink arriving.😁

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

We are on Jupiter now. Rather than the $20 up frontSalamat po and/or Terima Kasih goes a long way and it’s much more fun!😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, duquephart said:

The guy I responded to seems to think the SSP is the only way to get them: "The package also offers an opportunity to experience higher end cocktails --- "

Wow again. I was simply stating that for us, having SSP allowed us access to different wines as well as  cocktails - included in that one price. For US it penciled out. To each their own. My point was that the package includes more than just wines. 

Maybe try nice, instead of antagonistic. Cheers buddy. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 3

Wow again. I was simply stating that for us, having SSP allowed us access to different wines as well as  cocktails - included in that one price. For US it penciled out. To each their own. My point was that the package includes more than just wines. 

Maybe try nice, instead of antagonistic. Cheers buddy. 

"The package also offers an opportunity to experience higher end cocktails --- "

Your words. Suggesting the package conveys some special entitlement when all it is is is one of two ways to pay for beverages, I believe most people, after much discussion, already know it "includes more than just wines." But just in case, thanks on behalf of us all for pointing that out.

Edited by duquephart

21 hours ago, duquephart said:

One of my all-time favorite CC posts. Thank you!

On 5/3/2022 at 12:36 PM, Jim Avery said:

Haha, we have a local steak joint where you can easily spend $20 for one glass of wine.  Yes, apiece...🍷

Many fine dining/Michelin restaurants (or equivalent) push far past the $50 per glass mark and have options that are $3000+.  Wine is wild y'all.

2 hours ago, baelor said:

Many fine dining/Michelin restaurants (or equivalent) push far past the $50 per glass mark and have options that are $3000+.  Wine is wild y'all.

There’s a fun book about this called “The Billionaire’s Vinegar.” An interesting look into the elite wine business back when a bottle of wine purported to have been owned by Thomas Jefferson came up for auction. Things spiraled from there. 

Edited by Twitchly