Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

3 hours ago, heartscontent said:

When you got off the train in Civitavecchia, did you need elevators to exit or did you have to carry your luggage up any stairs? 

The station recently (in the last couple years) added elevators where it is needed.  Prior to that you needed to walk down a set of stairs, walk thru a tunnel, and then walk back up a set of stairs.  There are no escalators.  If the elevator breaks down, you need to use the stairs.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Hi, my family of five (includes kids 11, 12, 14) will be disembarking in Rome (scheduled arrival 5am).  We'll be staying near Castel Sant Angelo, but check-in is in the afternoon, so we're not in too much of a rush.  Should we pre-purchase train tickets? Or is there a lot of availability on the spot?  What is a reasonable time to get the train if we're walking off with our luggage?  Is it fair to assume that we should get off at Termini and then take a taxi?  Or is a walk from S. Pietro manageable? Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Tuzzy3 said:

Hi, my family of five (includes kids 11, 12, 14) will be disembarking in Rome (scheduled arrival 5am).  We'll be staying near Castel Sant Angelo, but check-in is in the afternoon, so we're not in too much of a rush.  Should we pre-purchase train tickets? Or is there a lot of availability on the spot?  What is a reasonable time to get the train if we're walking off with our luggage?  Is it fair to assume that we should get off at Termini and then take a taxi?  Or is a walk from S. Pietro manageable? Thanks in advance.

If you walk off with your luggage that pretty much means you're going to be with 'the crowd' making their way to the Civi railway station.  So, I'd suggest you pre-purchase your train tickets and plan on taking something about 1030 or so.  Get off the train at S. Pietro and take a taxi to your hotel.... it's too far to walk with kids and luggage and not as 'friendly' a neighbourhood as you may think, especially for an obvious family of tourists.

It's not far from the Roma S. Pietro station, about a mile on foot, but it includes a decent size hill (downhill) and crossing some very busy streets, not something I'd want to do with luggage and kids.

So, given that you're going to wind up with some kind of secondary transportation after the train anyway, I wouldn't limit myself to only trains that call at S. Pietro.

Of course you know your family, I can only relate to my own.  When our kids were those ages I tried to only roust them up and out early in the morning if I absolutely had to.  Given that you don't have a plane to catch or a tour to meet up with, I would consider letting everyone sleep in as late as the ship will allow, which means getting off around 9 - 9:30 AM, at that point they'll be shoving the stragglers off.

Also consider what kind of train experience you want/need.  The regionale trains are perfectly fine, basic transportation but there's a good chance you'll need to stand for all or some of the trip, and there is no place to store luggage other than the racks over the seats, so only things you can easily lift over your head.  For more room, guaranteed seats, and room for luggage you'd need to choose one of the less frequent and more expensive trains.

Once in Rome, even if you can't check into your rooms you will be able to leave your luggage with the hotel, if you're staying in one.   If you're in a rental apartment and can't drop off your bags, you might focus on trains that go to Termini, where there is luggage storage and some interesting places to visit near the station.

Thank you.  I didn't even think of the option for storing luggage.  I think we'll do that. There seems to be a lot of places around Termini for luggage storage (some of which recommend reserving ahead of time). Are they all fine/safe? Any recommendations? 

30 minutes ago, Tuzzy3 said:

Thank you.  I didn't even think of the option for storing luggage.  I think we'll do that. There seems to be a lot of places around Termini for luggage storage (some of which recommend reserving ahead of time). Are they all fine/safe? Any recommendations? 

That's definitely an option.  I suggest you consider making your way to your hotel near Castel Sant Angelo directly from the cruise port and dropping your luggage there.  Sant Angelo is a great location to start exploring Vatican and Rome and you won't have to make your way back to Termini and then to your hotel later in the day just to pick up stored luggage.

Hi all,

First off, thanks for all the helpful information in this topic!  

We are planning on taking the Civitavecchia express train from the cruise port to Rome on 7/20. On the Trenitalia website, the train route is visible but it says “We are sorry, this travel solution cannot be purchased on this sales channel”. Is there a different website to book tickets, or do we just need to wait?

Thanks!

Edited by Calbearsfan97

4 hours ago, Calbearsfan97 said:

Hi all,

First off, thanks for all the helpful information in this topic!  

We are planning on taking the Civitavecchia express train from the cruise port to Rome on 7/20. On the Trenitalia website, the train route is visible but it says “We are sorry, this travel solution cannot be purchased on this sales channel”. Is there a different website to book tickets, or do we just need to wait?

Thanks!

I just tried and had no problem.  You may have to book 1st class, looks like all 2nd class tix are taken.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I just tried and had no problem.  You may have to book 1st class, looks like all 2nd class tix are taken.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Thanks for checking!  I tried the same website just now but am still getting the error. I was trying to book the 9:07AM train out of Civitavecchia ( Tutte Le Stazioni ) to Roma Ostensia, R 5851. Only stop is Roma San Pietro. Is there a different express train?

Edited by Calbearsfan97

21 minutes ago, Calbearsfan97 said:

Thanks for checking!  I tried the same website just now but am still getting the error. I was trying to book the 9:07AM train out of Civitavecchia ( Tutte Le Stazioni ) to Roma Ostensia, R 5851. Only stop is Roma San Pietro. Is there a different express train?

Yes, sorry about that.  I was looking at trains from Civi to Roma Termini (not Ostiense).  How about the Intercity 501 , which is a direct train... a bit more expensive but at least you can purchase tickets!

Edited by d9704011

Ok i just bought tickets for FrecciaBianca 09.16 5th Aug, do i need to print tickets or will the QR codes on phone be ok ? Also says something about checking in ? Also the Portmobility bus that runs to station, does it stop at the ship or is there a stance that you have to go to ?

Thanks.

Hello! I'm a little overwhelmed!  I'm willing to get a private transfer if needed, but would kind of like to take the train for the experience?  We are staying near the Trevi Fountain, and I'm looking for transfer on July 25 to the Norwegian Epic.  We will have 4 adults with luggage for a 9 day cruise (two in 50s and two in 20s).   My husband has a bad hip, so I would like reserved seats and room for luggage, and I'm willing to pay extra for comfort.   From Termini I'm seeing the Intercity 510 from 0957-1045 for 36 euros 1st class reserved seats with the "together fare", and Frecciabianca 8616 frin 1157-1244 basic fare with reserved seats for 64 euros.   I think this is just to Civitavecchia and not to the port?   Any input on those two trains, getting to Termini from Trevi Fountain, and then getting to the  Epic?  TIA!

Yes, the trains are just to Civitavecchia.  If you enter "Civitavecchia Porto" as your destination they will also include the ticket for the port mobility bus to the ship/terminal (an additional 6 euro per person).

I haven't been on an IC train in several years, the train stock may have changed.  First class on those trains used to be six passenger compartments, the luggage space was racks overhead.  If you get one of the newer trains, the compartments are gone, you can see a picture here:  Livelli di servizio - Trenitalia

As for getting to Termini, with luggage a taxi is your easiest option.   There are of course buses and the metro (Barberini), but either of those is a challenge with luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep trying to purchase tickets for October 5th. October 5th is highlighted on the calendar but I keep getting a message that “travel solution refers to the next day” and it switches the tickets to the 6th.  If I put the date as the 4th it switches them to the 5th. What is going on?  

Also how do I specify I want the express train? I don’t see that as a choice. Is the inner city train the express train? The Frecce time slots that are left will make us leave Rome at noon. We want a little more time in the city. Trying to choose the 1557 train.
Getting a late start researching all this because just booked the trip a few days agp.

There's something off with the Trenitalia web site yesterday and today.  Try looking at October 4th, then scroll down until you see the time you want the following day, the actual day you want to travel.

The 9:16 Frecce is available for 9.90 euro on the 5th.

An IC train is not the same and, I think, only goes to Ostiense not Termini.

We are coming that morning from Brussels. We land at 930 am so 915 train is too early for us.   I hoping for the latest train I can get and not miss the ship. Ha. I am looking for Rome to Civitavecchia not the reverse.

That changes everything.  If you are going from the airport directly to the port a Frecce really takes you out of the way, it means you have to go all the way to Termini and then back out again.

Also, it's never a good idea to buy a train ticket in advance when you are arriving by air, you really have no way to know what time you'll actually be ready to travel onward.  Better to pay a little more for the ticket on the day of travel than to pay twice if you miss the train you purchased in advance.

There are very few Frecce trains from Rome to Civitavecchia, the only two that might work for you depart Rome at 11:57 (arrives 12:44) or 13:57 (arrives 14:44).  If going by Frecce is important to you, just take the Leonardo Express to Termini and wait for the next one.

The IC train from Ostiense at 16:07 doesn't arrive to Civitavecchia until 16:45, which I'm sure is too late for embarkation.  

Edited by euro cruiser

8 hours ago, taymiss2 said:

We are coming that morning from Brussels. We land at 930 am so 915 train is too early for us.   I hoping for the latest train I can get and not miss the ship. Ha. I am looking for Rome to Civitavecchia not the reverse.

The Trenitalia site has been a little quirky the last few days.  As euro cruiser suggested, look up trains for October 4 and simply go forward from there to see the schedule for October 5.  I have attached a screen shot for the times you are likely interested in.  Note that (with the exception of the Leonardo Express solution, all the changes are at Roma Ostiense.  Given the airline arrival and fooling around at FCO on the morning of travel, you should consider purchasing your ticket upon arrival.

Screenshot_20230714-063833_Chrome.jpg

I only booked this trip a few days ago so literally have a very steep learning curve about what to do. In my mind , I thought we would have plenty of time to do something in Rome before heading to the ship. If nothing else eat lunch and have gelato. Ha  (I realize my plane could be delayed which will derail everything.  I have been eyeballing the 1357 train. Is that a terrible idea?