The Daily for Saturday 04/30/2022

richwmn

Today is Hairstyle Appreciation Day, International Jazz Day, and National Honesty Day

Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - Low & Slow Pork Verde
Drink of the Day - Yellowhammer
Wine of the Day - Brewer-Clifton 2019 3D Pinot Noir (Sta. Rita Hills
Destination of the Day - Tianjin (Beijing), China

Ships With Passengers

Alicante, Spain

Nieuw Statendam   09:00 - 16:00

At Sea Pacific

Noordam   Destination Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica eta 05/01

Seattle, Washington

Eurodam   07:00 - 16:00

Skagway, Alaska

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 21:00

Vancouver, BC CA

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00

Victoria, BC CA

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Zeebrugge, Bruges, Belgium

Rotterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Catania, IT

Oosterdam  

Great Stirrup Cay, BS

Zaandam   Anchorage

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0430World.thumb.png.a62c0c71fab3e827f3c23af3c28eff4c.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's sunny here this morning, but cool.  Today's high is supposed to be 15C 🙂.  Not warm enough to do much outside, but the sunshine is wonderful.

Interesting collection of days.  I don't think I've ever really thought about appreciating hairstyles.  But I do like my hairdresser, she does a good job of cutting my hair.  Not a big fan of jazz, I can take it in small doses but DH loves it.   I think we need more honesty, but we also need tact.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I hope the drink and wine are good too.

I've never been to today's port, and I doubt I ever will.  Thanks in advance for all the pictures and comments that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone.  

It is supposed to warm up today to mid 60s F.  I'll take that even if the skies are cloudy.  I'm going to a quilt show with a friend and really looking forward to it.  

Today's meal looks good to me and is low in carbs so I could enjoy it.  That is, without the rice or grits.  Maybe with riced cauliflower or just plain.  You can cut the heat by leaving out the red pepper flakes.  I'd probably use more, but that is me.  Also, if you are not a fan of cilantro, substitute parsley.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/low-slow-pork-verde/

245087191_porkverde1.jpg.597c1f15749d483c667599cfab2663b6.jpg

At its most essential, authentic chile verde pork is a stew made with roasted tomatillos, roasted green chiles, cilantro, and herbs.

It’s more smoky and nuanced than it is spicy.  https://www.wellplated.com/easy-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/

348160775_porkverde2.thumb.jpg.837c5764693be0c31408397b423cc556.jpg

This Slow Cooker Honey Lime Salsa Verde Pork is dripping with tenderness and tangy fiesta flavors.  It is super versatile and the perfect make-ahead meat for busy nights or for tacos, salads, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, etc.   It also makes a ton so its fabulous for crowds or to freeze for later.  Of course, you can always half the recipe as well.   https://carlsbadcravings.com/slow-cooker-salsa-verde-pork/

1033731742_porkverde3.thumb.jpg.53c7d11478d175c687462b5588daaf7b.jpg

The low and slow cooking time creates very tender pork chunks, and the flavor of the green chile sauce only gets better the longer it is cooked.  https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-chile-verde/

637363199_porkverde4.jpg.2be073866eb5c66b3982599b334f4160.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Cheers to those celebrating and may that be all of us.   Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon.

56°F and sunny here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I believe Honesty Day should be every day.

It is nice to see different hairstyles and some can make people look younger or older than they actually are.

We went to a jazz club in Copenhagen when we were guests of Anthon Berg Danish chocolate.

It was interesting music.

A very true quote.

Nice food,not sure of the drink of the day.

Never been to China but seen plenty of pictures.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone they can give comfort to.

Wishing everyone a nice weekend and bank holiday weekend here in England.

Graham.

• Like 27

Good morning everyone. I like all 3 days and today’s quote. I’m up early today to take Sam to the podiatrist before our son and grandson come to take him out to lunch. Yesterday Sam and the aide went for a ride in Sam’s recently fixed 2007 Toyota and they stopped so he could buy pizza for our dinner. He doesn’t like days when he just sits around some, even in the sun, so that really boosted his mood.

Prayers for all on our prayer list and for Ukraine.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 28

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  My hair style is pretty basic.  Honesty is a great quality but sometimes in short supply.  I'll salute Jazz.  Quote is interesting.  I embarked in Tianjin on Crystal Harmony in 2004 and visited again on MS Amsterdam in 2017.  I'd prefer the pork without the verde.  My alternative is Jimco and Mango Salad, Baked Ziti with Sausage and Sun-dried Tomato, and Mixed Berry Crisp as served on MS Nieuw Statendam April 30, 2019:

dishes0430.jpg

Today’s care list:

Cat shepard losing beloved cousin
Jose’s nasty edema
Endlesss tests for Debbie without relief
JazzyV facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL moved to less appropriate facility
Cruzin Terri  post covid fatigue
Ann’s son and partner with covid
lochleffel rabbi in quarantine
Crazy for Cats dealing with credit card fraud
From the rotation:
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
Ukraine
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
A support group for Mamaofami
Bon Voyage oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS 4/30 to 5/7)
1 day for NextOne River Cruise
Promising new Neurologist for 1Angelcat
Family time for smitty34877
Welcome home ger_77
Norseh2o (Regatta to 5/1), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/4),   Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Another sunrise from land.  This is my ride home from a 2013 Crystal Symphony Trans-Pacific cruise.  On April 30 Amtrak's Empire Builder was in Western Montana as the sun came up.

dawn0430.jpg

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I like all 3 days and today’s quote. I’m up early today to take Sam to the podiatrist before our son and grandson come to take him out to lunch. Yesterday Sam and the aide went for a ride in Sam’s recently fixed 2007 Toyota and they stopped so he could buy pizza for our dinner. He doesn’t like days when he just sits around some, even in the sun, so that really boosted his mood.

Prayers for all on our prayer list and for Ukraine.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, are you sure you can't take a booster of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?  I think you originally went to the J&J because you only wanted one dose but either of the boosters is just one dose.

Roy

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  My hair style is pretty basic.  Honesty is a great quality but sometimes in short supply.  I'll salute Jazz.  Quote is interesting.  I embarked in Tianjin on Crystal Harmony in 2004 and visited again on MS Amsterdam in 2017.  I'd prefer the pork without the verde.  My alternative is Jimco and Mango Salad, Baked Ziti with Sausage and Sun-dried Tomato, and Mixed Berry Crisp as served on MS Nieuw Statendam April 30, 2019:

dishes0430.jpg

Today’s care list:

Cat shepard losing beloved cousin
Jose’s nasty edema
Endlesss tests for Debbie without relief
JazzyV facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL moved to less appropriate facility
Cruzin Terri  post covid fatigue
Ann’s son and partner with covid
lochleffel rabbi in quarantine
Crazy for Cats dealing with credit card fraud
From the rotation:
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
Ukraine
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
A support group for Mamaofami
Bon Voyage oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS 4/30 to 5/7)
1 day for NextOne River Cruise
Promising new Neurologist for 1Angelcat
Family time for smitty34877
Welcome home ger_77
Norseh2o (Regatta to 5/1), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/4),   Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

It is sad to see how many lovely people are on the care list but pleasing to see the number of celebrations.

Graham.

• Like 15

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Honesty is very important in all relationships including with ourselves. Jazz is not my #1 listening choice, but I do like it and appreciate the talented players. Funny that hairstyle is today...DD, DSIL, and DGS came over yesterday and we were talking about how DH, DSIL, DGS and I are all overdue for haircuts.

The quote is true. Meal sounds delicious.

@Cruzin Terri Terri, I hope you are able to make the visit to the cathedral. When DH had Covid in August/September, (7 weeks), I had a very mild case for about a week, but the fatigue lasted a good 3 to 4 weeks. It probably would not have lasted so long if I wasn't taking care of DH and keeping up with basic housekeeping, but we do what we have to do. Praying you start feeling more energized each day.

@grapau27 Graham, beautiful garden.

@JazzyV Vanessa, I'm sorry to hear about the medication costs. It is very frustrating that so many people can't get the medication they need due to not being covered by insurance and out of sight costs. Prayers that you find some assistance.

@kazu Jacqui, praying Jose is more tolerable today. I hate that he is so miserable and I know that doesn't make it any easier for you. Hopefully the diuretic will help tremendously.

It is 71 and overcast, but nice out. Still able to turn off the a/c during the day. 🙂

More painting here today.

Wishing each of you a happy day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I hope to have a good hair day, when it’s time for a haircut I wake up with a new hairdo each day, some pretty scary!  I love jazz and I listen to it every day.  Honesty is the best policy and good sleep insurance.  While true, the quote is a little sad.  I really like the meal suggestion and will make it sometime this week. Haven’t been to today’s port.  We’re off to Ogunquit, ME this afternoon to attend a fundraiser for a farm there that hosts inner city children to introduce them to animals and nature.  I hope they’re successful this evening.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  We went off for a walk to the gym this morning and got that workout over and done with.  Today is laundry day so that's next.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Great days today.  Hairstyle appreciation sounds positive.  I've noticed my 13, 15, and 17 year old grandsons are all wearing the latest boy's Tik Tok hairstyle.  You can barely see their eyes!  Jazz is a very popular type of music, though not my favorite.  Honesty as they always say is the best policy.  The quote is so true, the pork verde looks good, as long as it's not too spicy I would like to try it.  Tianjin (Beijing), China was last posted here March 28, 2021.  I think we decided at the time that the port may have been originally called Xingang.  Let's see what our discussion today brings to the table.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Daily list.  Prayers were said this morning for all on the list, my 3 family members, the people of Ukraine and all who assist with housing them, and sending them whatever they need to survive.  I would also like to mention someone who is not on the list, Sgt. Bishop Evans of the Texas National Guard who drowned after saving two female migrants in the Rio Grande River.  The two women survived but unfortunately were carrying drugs for the cartels to the US.  Sgt. Evans is being laid to rest today and may he rest in peace.  Most of the major news organizations aren't covering this subject because it doesn't fit their narrative or agenda.  🙏

Here is what I posted last time on Tianjin (or Xingang).  

In April and May, 2010 we took a Diamond Princess cruise from Bangkok to Whittier, Alaska.  Right in the middle of it was our stop near Beijing, called Xingang.  We took a ship's tour with several couples we knew to the Great Wall followed by lunch at a hotel restaurant.  The weather was warm and sunny, plus the trees had begun flowering so it was a nice day all in all if you don't mind a long bus ride.  The section of the Wall we visited was called  Huangyagyuan.  The entrance is below.enhance

enhance

If only each step was consistent!  Some were shallow and some were steep so you had to concentrate on each one.

enhance

This photo was taken from a window in a tower along the way.enhance

We wanted to make it all the way to the top so we rested for a minute or two along the way.enhance

enhance

Near the top.  A friend from China told us this means "The Saint's Peak - scenic viewing platform".enhance

After this we had to make our way down again, which believe me, is just as hard on the knees as going up!  At the bottom of the Great Wall entrance were these beautifully shaped trees which I would love to have seen in bloom.  enhance

We then had time to look at the goods being sold outside the entrance.  enhance

enhance

This little guy was hoping for a ride on this contraption but it didn't seem to be in service that morning.enhance

And finally a picture of the room at the hotel where lunch was served.enhance

I think I'm probably through visiting China.  I'm glad I got the trip in when I did back in 2010.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Today’s quote has never been more applicable.  I got a call late last night from a physician at the hospital who knows Jose (never a good thing when they call late at night).

Jose is being given morphine to try to handle the pain and being referred to palliative care for his final days.  

It looks very much like despite all the valiant attempts, for the 3rd time in 3 months, they will fail.  I was told to prepare for the worst.  They do not think he has long 😢 💔 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 31

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  My hairstyle varies day by day - it seems each hair has a mind of it's own.  I love the way my hairstylist does it when I get a hair cut, but can't quite seem to replicate it on my own.  Must be some kind of sorcery going on.  Neither DH nor I are fans of jazz, but we all have different tastes in music.   I believe in honesty, the foundation of a good relationship.  The quote today is so true.

@mamaofamiit sounds like your new aide is working out well and that Sam's rehabilitation is progressing well with her around.

@kazu no one ever expects a call late at night from the hospital when a loved one is in there, but when it comes, it's usually not good news.  I am so sorry to hear Jose is so unwell and that his time is limited.  Please know you and he will both be in my prayers as you face his final days together.  Don't worry about checking in here, you need to focus on the time you can spend with Jose.

DH went to the doctor yesterday and was sent for x-rays to see what's going on with his knee.  I'm pretty sure he'll be referred to the surgeon for replacement, as it's almost the same as before he had his other knee replaced.  

It's a beautiful day out there today, the birds are singing - the robins are back (yes, a true sign of spring for us) and there are no glaciers in our back or front yards.  I think it's time to call the community group to see if they'll come and rake the yard to get it ready for some flowers again this year.  

I like today's menu suggestion, but will tuck the recipe away for another time.  I picked up a couple of small steaks yesterday and am going to try them in the air fryer.  Our DDIL cooked some wonderful steaks for us in the air fryer in Calgary and served them along with her home made steak sauce, so I'll try to replicate it tonight.   Steaks, baked potatoes and a side salad will be what's on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are extending aid to them.    Extra prayers also for our Daily family who are struggling to get through the day.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Today’s quote has never been more applicable.  I got a call late last night from a physician at the hospital who knows Jose (never a good thing when they call late at night).

Jose is being given morphine to try to handle the pain and being referred to palliative care for his final days.  

It looks very much like despite all the valiant attempts, for the 3rd time in 3 months, they will fail.  I was told to prepare for the worst.  They do not think he has long 😢 💔 

Jacqui, I am so sorry to hear this.  However, what you have been describing lately has not sounded good and I am really not surprised.

You and Jose are both in my prayers.  I pray that his last days are peaceful and pain free.

God bless.

• Like 21

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and @dfish recipes look very good.  Made a run to the grocery store early today they didn’t have everything I wanted but a least had Turkey Hills orange ice tea.  It’s cool here today so will run a few more errands and hopefully tomorrow is warmer to allow more yard work.

@kazu I’m so sorry to read your post.  Sending you prayers and a hug.

This gave me a chuckle and seems accurate.

image.thumb.png.515f14e87dd7620e56d5bf1bc53d0da9.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh Jacqui, I am sitting here in tears again for you. My heart breaks and I cannot even find words. Bless you, my friend.🙏

• Like 19
  • Haha 1