Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

19 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I was not being sarcastic.  As a vegan, I guess I would starve in isolation even if I came from a suite.   I would be calling a lawyer!

They claim that if you have special dietary needs that have been mentioned in the pre cruise questionnaire  they will make sure that your needs will be met in Isolation. 
Our problem was that we did not mention the we were trying to help my husband heal by modifying his diet accordingly. We could control that while we were among the general population because we can identify Broccoli etc, but when you are at the mercy of a room service menu your chances are fairly grim. 
And I apologize for my assumption that you were being sarcastic. I am beyond tired and frustrated. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bananavan said:

By the way, I tried to contact my Concierge dr on Thursday. 
I was despondent about testing positive with no end in sight. 
Did he have any suggestions that might help me test negative? A nasal lavage? Perhaps some OTC meds that I might have packed. 

Well, my Dr was out of town for the past two weeks.
He was out of the country and did not have access to normal communications. 
His office manager suggested that I get Vicks nasal spray. 
I informed her that not only did I not have access to Vicks, I did not have access to the outside of my cabin. 
Did the Dr have someone who was covering for him? 
Well, yes, but that person would have no knowledge of my medical history. 
WHAT? Where the hell is this cover? 
That is ANOTHER call that will be on the agenda for tomorrow. 
I had fired out previous Dr last Fall because I was fed up with not being listened to. 
I had great hopes for this one but that does not seem to be likely. 

It is really too bad that you did not have Plaxlovid; that might have made a difference, but just supposition on my part, not to mention whether your doctor would give you a prescription without Covid.  My DH and I are just very lucky to have such a wonderful doctor; he is usually always available, with his excellent nurse in case he is not.  Our physician has not been taking new patients for quite a few years, but has a huge waiting list.  He was our family doctor before his transition, so we knew we had a special and caring doctor.  Not listening to a patient is absolutely the worst and totally irresponsible.

I am so sorry that you have had such an ordeal, but sincerely hope that this nightmare is behind you!   You have provided a lot of information to all of us, most likely helping many who have read your blog.  Thank you for all of this detailed information.  Hopefully, you can find a doctor who listens and actually cares about you and your health.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

I also followed your blog after I tested positive on Brilliance on the 2nd day of a B2B.  I am on day 8 in quarantine and still positive.  Husband tested Negative and was not allowed to be with me in isolation.  He was tested for 6 consecutive days and was Negative so he was free to roam around the ship.  I am told I will need 2  Negative tests to get off the ship and will then get the Certificate of Recovery.  So, now I am on my 3rd B2B.  Hoping to test Negative before we arrive in Athens on Wednesday so we can fly home.  I was double boosted just before we left the US so I was shocked that I got Covid.  I realize now that I should have been wearing my mask everywhere even being vaccinated and boosted.  We were very careful on the first leg.  We stayed away from crowds, did not do any bus tours etc. but we were packed in like sardines at dinner.  Lesson learned is that no amount of precautions taken will prevent you from getting COVID.  Luckily, my symptoms were very minor (the famous cough).  Staff has been very accommodating and room service food has been very good so, all in all I am just taking one day at a time but I want to get OUT of here.

Thankful you made it home safely and your husband can have all the vegetables he wants!!!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

13 hours ago, bananavan said:

the meal on the Delta flight home was amazing. 
The salad was cold and crisp. The soup was nourishing. The main meal of Short rib was delicious and hot. 
The kindness was priceless. 
I made a ham soup out of food that I had already in my freezer for supper tonight, 

We were on the 5/14 Edge sailing and I thought of you frequently - especially when taking the stairs by deck six with the big “Out of bounds” sign on the closed door. On my Air France flight home I sat by a gentleman whose daughter tested positive at the airport and her passport was confiscated. Sounded like she and her husband were able to get a hotel but people need to be aware of testing positive in Italy and what it entails. Announcements on the ship were very low Covid but I’m wondering how many people just didn’t report. We canceled our shore excursions through the ship for just that reason.

By the way I don’t know if this is covered in a topic already but upon disembarkation on the 21st there was the option to “swap and go“ with a third party right at the pier. Prive was $65 unless you had purchased your cruise before some point at which it was free. It was very quick but we were at about a 40% capacity, you had an appointment time and in about 20 minutes later your results came up on their website. A couple that we transported back to FCO did it and were thoroughly pleased. 

M

All the more reason to bring your own eMed tests with you to Italy and self test the day before debarkation.  That way if you test positive you can make your own arrangements on how and where you will quarantine until you test negative to go home.  There is no way I’m turning control of my fate over to the Italian government.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

mimbecky - Weren't you worried that you were sitting next to the man who's daughter tested positive?  I assume they were traveling together and had close contact.   

Actually I slipped on a N95 right then for the 2 hour flight to Paris. 
Not too worried about getting Covid now that I’m home though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, MDTrip said:

Do you know how the airlines would know you tested positive? What if I test positive on day zero, and then test negative on day 5. How would the airline prevent me from flying on day 5?  Thanks in advance. (Still trying to figure this out just in case...)

That's a good point. I honestly don't think the airlines would know you tested positive because they are not notified by anyone else other then you if you're positive or not the day before flying. So I suppose, in theory, if you tested positive on day zero then negative on day 5 you would be good to go.

However, in my case I had to rebook my flight (so you most likely would have to also) but because you would have tested positive how would you know when to rebook. I was cleared to fly by a doctor (with the Letter) and had no symptoms and not infectious by day 7 but I continued to test positive until day 12.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, STLCRUISIN said:

That's a good point. I honestly don't think the airlines would know you tested positive because they are not notified by anyone else other then you if you're positive or not the day before flying. So I suppose, in theory, if you tested positive on day zero then negative on day 5 you would be good to go.

However, in my case I had to rebook my flight (so you most likely would have to also) but because you would have tested positive how would you know when to rebook. I was cleared to fly by a doctor (with the Letter) and had no symptoms and not infectious by day 7 but I continued to test positive until day 12.

That’s precisely why you need to follow up with a doctor so you have written proof of that original positive test. Without that or a proctored one you have no proof.  The airlines  want proof and not just your word you are negative or that you have recovered.  

Out of APEX quarantine and heading home from Amsterdam tomorrow. I have my Certificate of Recovery and DH tested negative this afternoon using sn EMED online test. 

I did want to make one last comment about quarantine/RS food....and vegetables.ost dishes are not served with a side if veggies but all I had to do was ask snd I got Broccoli, Green Beans, Carrots, Squash and/or a variety of salad. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

.. but all I had to do was ask snd I got Broccoli, Green Beans, Carrots, Squash and/or a variety of salad. 

Worth remembering that in Luminae as well as it is a common complaint there that the vegetables are a bit minimal at times, but easily fixed if you ask...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Worth remembering that in Luminae as well as it is a common complaint there that the vegetables are a bit minimal at times, but easily fixed if you ask...

Veggie portions are  usually skimpy in BLU.  I have a standing request of  no bread/ rolls,  and double veggies. And if available 1/2 baked white or sweet potato..

Usually not an issue but in quarantine who knows what they do or don't do with any consistency??..If I were really hungry I'd eat a roll or two

• Like 1

I'm confused by Certificate of recovery. If you test negative on an antigen why would you need a certificate of recovery. 

What is the time frame for when you can use antigen rather than COR after a positive test?

If your negative on an antigen I wouldn’t think you would even need a certificate of recovery. You would however need one for sure if a PCR were required as you can test positive on a PCR for the next several months. My husband tested positive on an antigen two weeks later. We were not cruising at the time so it was not a problem. 

Edited by mauimary
  • Like 1

However, in my case I had to rebook my flight (so you most likely would have to also) but because you would have tested positive how would you know when to rebook. I was cleared to fly by a doctor (with the Letter) and had no symptoms and not infectious by day 7 but I continued to testpositive until day 12.

@STLCRUISINCan you share how many days you had to wait after your positive test before a doctor would provide this letter? Thanks so much.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 5:50 AM, mimbecky said:

We were on the 5/14 Edge sailing and I thought of you frequently - especially when taking the stairs by deck six with the big “Out of bounds” sign on the closed door. On my Air France flight home I sat by a gentleman whose daughter tested positive at the airport and her passport was confiscated. Sounded like she and her husband were able to get a hotel but people need to be aware of testing positive in Italy and what it entails. Announcements on the ship were very low Covid but I’m wondering how many people just didn’t report. We canceled our shore excursions through the ship for just that reason.

By the way I don’t know if this is covered in a topic already but upon disembarkation on the 21st there was the option to “swap and go“ with a third party right at the pier. Prive was $65 unless you had purchased your cruise before some point at which it was free. It was very quick but we were at about a 40% capacity, you had an appointment time and in about 20 minutes later your results came up on their website. A couple that we transported back to FCO did it and were thoroughly pleased. 

M

If you tested positive in Italy, did you arrange for your own hotel or airBnB?  Do you know if the guest who were on back to back cruises had to test negative before the next cruise?

1 hour ago, NCNina said:

However, in my case I had to rebook my flight (so you most likely would have to also) but because you would have tested positive how would you know when to rebook. I was cleared to fly by a doctor (with the Letter) and had no symptoms and not infectious by day 7 but I continued to testpositive until day 12.

@STLCRUISINCan you share how many days you had to wait after your positive test before a doctor would provide this letter? Thanks so much.  

My husband recently tested positive while in Mexico.  United Airline required for a total of 10 days quarantine, a health certificate from a MD and copy of the positive COVID test recorded 10 days before the flight home.  He tried to fly home after 5 days of isolation with a health certificate from a MD and it was rejected by United Airlines.  He was informed the 5 days was only for domestic travel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, mauimary said:

That’s precisely why you need to follow up with a doctor so you have written proof of that original positive test. Without that or a proctored one you have no proof.  The airlines  want proof and not just your word you are negative or that you have recovered.  

Agree -- to get our Certificate of Recovery we had to send a copy of our Proctored Positive Results and the 10 day was based on the date on that test result.    Was nice having it taking off the pressure of a negative result the day before our flight. home.

1 hour ago, whirlybird3 said:

If you tested positive in Italy, did you arrange for your own hotel or airBnB?  Do you know if the guest who were on back to back cruises had to test negative before the next cruise?

My husband recently tested positive while in Mexico.  United Airline required for a total of 10 days quarantine, a health certificate from a MD and copy of the positive COVID test recorded 10 days before the flight home.  He tried to fly home after 5 days of isolation with a health certificate from a MD and it was rejected by United Airlines.  He was informed the 5 days was only for domestic travel. 

We experienced the same on United out of LHR  the requirement is from the U.S. Government and United was only adhering to the requirements.    If you husband was able to test negative he could have used that instead of the certificate of recovery. 

In our case we continued to test positive for 12 days so the Certificate of Recovery was our pass home.

• Like 4

I just wanted to let you all know that Celebrity has done the right thing. 
We are getting a pro rated refund of the days which were missed on the Transatlantic due to testing positive for Covid. 
My husband was unable to enjoy any of the second week of the trip so that is fair. 
Thanks again for supporting me and hopefully learning from my experience. 
I am the kid your mother suggested you stay away from. Wierd things always happen around me. 🙃

Edited by bananavan
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, bananavan said:

We are getting a pro rated refund of the days which were missed on the Transatlantic due to testing positive for Covid. 
My husband was unable to enjoy any of the second week of the trip so that is fair. 
I am the kid your mother suggested you stay away from. Wierd things always happen around me. 🙃

So happy to hear you are both back home . 
That was a heck of a trip! Ugh. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tony UK said:

I'm confused by Certificate of recovery. If you test negative on an antigen why would you need a certificate of recovery. 

What is the time frame for when you can use antigen rather than COR after a positive test?

I tested positive on May 12 and got a COR so I could fly home from Amsterdam today. MAY 26 (the last day of the cruise)  I was tested, onboard, on May 17 (day5) and tested POSITIVE. If 'd tested Neg they would have tested me again on Day 6 and if Negative no more quarantine. I don't know of any other specific time frame for Netherlands 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We experienced the same on United out of LHR  the requirement is from the U.S. Government and United was only adhering to the requirements.    If you husband was able to test negative he could have used that instead of the certificate of recovery. 

In our case we continued to test positive for 12 days so the Certificate of Recovery was our pass home.

Unfortunately, my husband tested positive on day 5. 😞. So, he had to continue to quarantine instead of flying home. 

A couple os lessons that I we have learned.  Pack extra medications to last for at least 10 more days while traveling.  Continue to pack over the counter COVID tests, just in case.  And have a plan B for quarantine.  I have booked a AirBnB for 10 days with the option to cancel after our cruise.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bananavan said:

So glad things worked out well for you & celebrity did right by you. Hope you both feel better. Thanks for taking the time to post. You really helped me a lot in deciding to cancel our June cruise. But we caught covid now anyway & I would not wish it on anyone. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bananavan said:

I’m glad Celebrity did the right thing.   Still was very stressful for you and your husband.  Thank you for updating.  I am actually relieved we cancelled our 50 day cruise.  Just wasn’t worth the stress and worry.  

• Like 1