Cruise Critic issues

Some serious issues with Cruise Critic today...first I got locked out, then, when I got back in, made about half a dozen posts. Then, an hour later, all those posts are are gone...even some of the threads are gone, and others that I read show as unread. Curious!

Same here ... popped a post on and when I went back I couldn't access the site .... error 503 I believe. Later on I could get in and the page was corrupted. Tried again and the post had gone??

I was just geeting ready to reply to a message when it happened. When it came back up the message was gone. Probably the server rebooted or had to be rebuilt and it reverted to an earlier backup. It was only for a relatively short time. I think 10 or 15 minutes so I would not call that serious.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I came in and made a very considered answer to a new thread, and when I hit submit, the thread was gone.  I feel your pain.  EM

FWIW: I only use the CC mobile version and what you describe has often happened. I’ve gotten in the habit of copying my post before submitting it. In that way, if CC glitches, I can again quote the post to which I want to respond and paste what I had previously written.

Over the years, it appears that CC has jury rigged its hard code so often that it just breaks down every once in awhile. And the “help” answer you get consists mainly of “dump your cookies.”

C’est la vie.

Hi, I had posted 3 times this morning........all 3 replies have disappeared.😮  I just re-posted on the same 3 threads........lets hope those replies submitted correctly. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: I only use the CC mobile version and what you describe has often happened. I’ve gotten in the habit of copying my post before submitting it. In that way, if CC glitches, I can again quote the post to which I want to respond and paste what I had previously written.

Over the years, it appears that CC has jury rigged its hard code so often that it just breaks down every once in awhile. And the “help” answer you get consists mainly of “dump your cookies.”

C’est la vie.

Cruise Critic does not do the code. They purchase a license for forum software that is installed on a server. They may or may not have a custom version but likely a third party is administering it for CC. The server could be at an office, a house or in the cloud. I have a server at home. Every now and then there is a hiccup and it reboots. Or I do an update which takes a few minutes to install. Often they are security updates. They have to be done. That’s just the way software works. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Cruise Critic does not do the code. They purchase a license for forum software that is installed on a server. They may or may not have a custom version but likely a third party is administering it for CC. The server could be at an office, a house or in the cloud. I have a server at home. Every now and then there is a hiccup and it reboots. Or I do an update which takes a few minutes to install. Often they are security updates. They have to be done. That’s just the way software works. 

I understand that CC uses a vendor’s stuff. But, someone isn’t “watching the store” because CC issues are far more than occasional  “hiccups.”

54 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Thank you for this reminder of reality.  To  expect a monster-size website like CruiseCritic to be 1000% perfect 24/7 is a tad naive, even in 2022.  Hasn't anyone noticed the glitches in almost all travel provider websites over the last two years?  Sometimes they go on for hours.  I have no idea if it's lack of technicians for routine trouble-shooting and maintenance,  or reduced budgets, or whatever ... everything just gets blamed on the virus now.   It's a good idea to adapt your habits to reality ... if a website is misbehaving, go away and do something else ... it will often be fine in an hour or six. 

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Thank you for this reminder of reality.  To  expect a monster-size website like CruiseCritic to be 1000% perfect 24/7 is a tad naive, even in 2022.  Hasn't anyone noticed the glitches in almost all travel provider websites over the last two years?  Sometimes they go on for hours.  I have no idea if it's lack of technicians for routine trouble-shooting and maintenance,  or reduced budgets, or whatever ... everything just gets blamed on the virus now.   It's a good idea to adapt your habits to reality ... if a website is misbehaving, go away and do something else ... it will often be fine in an hour or six. 

Though not a general travel site, check out United Airline’s website in general and iOS app in particular. Glitches are few and far between and, in most cases, all of your business with them need not involve a telephone call. Even then, United is a standout in that respect even if only to say that, at least, they answer the phone!

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though not a general travel site, check out United Airline’s website in general and iOS app in particular. Glitches are few and far between and, in most cases, all of your business with them need not involve a telephone call. Even then, United is a standout in that respect even if only to say that, at least, they answer the phone!

Interesting ... I fly United domestically, so am on that website 'all the time'.  United has just as many glitches as any other travel provider.  But I'm very glad to read that they answer the phone ... that is great news.  I've solved a couple of issues via 'chat' over the last two years, but that's a tedious process.  Thanks for this info. 

11 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Interesting ... I fly United domestically, so am on that website 'all the time'.  United has just as many glitches as any other travel provider.  But I'm very glad to read that they answer the phone ... that is great news.  I've solved a couple of issues via 'chat' over the last two years, but that's a tedious process.  Thanks for this info. 

I’ve told this story here before but, it’s worth repeating:

In line on Nautica for a Covid era necessary DIY air change (disembark in Dubai instead of Singapore) and the guy behind me is a retired Delta pilot. To my query “I hope they take good care of you,” his reply was “I only fly United for intercontinental routings.” I ask “Why?” He answers “Because they answer the phone.”

And that they do!

• Haha 1

As stated in the Cruise Critic Community Help Center:

We're sorry; there is no assistance available via the telephone. 

For questions or comments regarding the management of our community or any user-generated content you find on our site, or for media inquiries, please contact our Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com

2 hours ago, wrmiles said:

Clicked on an article expecting to read about Alaska cruises:

Alaska Cruise Deals: How to Pay Less for Your Big Adventure

Instead, I got an article on how to disembark. Have seen this happen on other articles. Pretty sloppy.

For questions or comments regarding the management of our community or any user-generated content you find on our site, or for media inquiries, please contact our Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com