Do you ever stay on board during a port you aren't interested in?

Will be on the Oasis soon and mostly decided on this cruise because I've always wanted to try an oasis (or larger) class ships, I've mostly done voyager class. However, I have very little interest in 2 of the stops (Nassau and Coco Cay). I'm just not a beach/pool person. I was interested in doing the hot air balloon in coco cay but it's sold out. So now I'm wondering if I'll be bored out of my mind or if they still have enough activities onboard during port stops. any one ever stayed on?

I also frequently stay on the ship and enjoy the uncrowded atmosphere.  When you get on board check the hot air balloon as you may be able to reserve it once on board.  They usually hold some spots back for people to book on board.

• Like 2

Stay on board on a port day?  Done it many times.

However, at both Nassau and CoCo Cay, there are plenty of other things to do than just pool “things”.

Get a guided tour of NAssau that ends in Atlantis.  Done that a couple of times.  Enjoyed it both times.

CoCoCay has restaurants.  So, might be worth going there just for lunch.

• Like 1

We often stay onboard for ports we have little interest in. Much of the cruise appeal for us is the ship activity, especially on the larger ships. Less crowded, easier to access the popular activities. 

Yes. There's no rule that says you have to get off at any port. There are plenty of frequent cruisers that never get off the ship for anything other than getting a bag of coffee or something in a given port.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

On my HAL cruise in December, we stayed on board at Dominica and St. Kitts. In the latter we did get off to visit the port shops at the pier because my wife wanted to buy an island dress (found a nice one for $15!). The ships have plenty of onboard activities to keep you busy, if you want.

We get off the ship in almost all ports (even the ones we have been to way too many times).....just to get a little change of scenery and a little exercise, then back on the ship for lunch and to spend the rest of the day.  

The only we have started staying on without getting off....is Belize.   That long water shuttle over to one of my least favorite ports...is not worth it to me.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

We get off the ship in almost all ports (even the ones we have been to way too many times).....just to get a little change of scenery and a little exercise, then back on the ship for lunch and to spend the rest of the day.

That's pretty much what we do. Walk around the stores, look for free samples of booze or food, hope my wife doesn't actually want to buy anything, get back on the ship while it's empty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, TexasRon said:

Currently staying onboard in Nassau.  We like enjoying the ship on a port day and we have been here a few times.  

We booked that Indy B2B I mentioned in your live thread b/c we enjoy Cococay and didn't care for most of the prices and itineraries out of PC this summer so we manufactured a cheap way to stop there twice. No interest in Nassau here either so we'll be stay onboard as well.

• Like 2

Pre pandemic I always got off (except Nassau) the ship but now I’m in such a lazy chill mode that I don’t get off unless it’s a new port. I’m starting to like staying onboard and enjoying the ship while others are off.

We sailed the Oasis 5 years ago and have cruised several times since and it’s still my favorite. Bored? No way! There’s so much to see and do and eat onboard, you will have a great time!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

We don’t get off in Jamaica. But in Nassau we sometimes can find something new and interesting (we found a foodie walking tour the last time we were there that we enjoyed quite a lot!). But there have definitely been various ports where we stay onboard or get off only briefly, especially in the Caribbean as we visit so often - there isn’t much onboard to do, but the peace can be a nice change!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Certain ports we never get off anymore. Nassau and Cozumel are probably at the top of the list and Falmouth is close behind.

I usually hit the Mega in Cozumel…the bar crawl on the “other” side of the island is fun too..

• Like 2

Repeating other responses but yes, we stay on sometimes now! I guess I used to feel like oh we have to get off, take advantage of the stop, maybe do an excursion! But especially now that we've been to some ports multiple times, I don't feel the need.

My fav pool days are port days 😄 There's always a good chair available in the sun and then loungers or sofas in the shade with a view of the port. Actually love those days!

Enjoy your cruise no matter what you do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChC said:

I frequently stay onboard when the ship is in a port I visited multiple times before or not interested.

Bored? No, always glad to take the day easy and lazy. Kind of like take the port call day as a weekend on the ship. Less crowed onboard, perfect to explore the ship and sip a drink anywhere I fancy. If you are lucky, you got to watch crew gets busy with their training and drills. You can even participate if you wish.

Participate 🤔

Can't say I recall doing that. On a recent cruise I had to leave pool for a lifeguard drill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting off in Nassau is just an awful experience.  It's like running a gauntlet of vendors all grabbing at you for a buck. 

Last cruise we went on Mrs Fan's mother had passed away just a few weeks earlier and she was just an exhausted ball of stress. I had booked it prior to her mom's passing so it was not planned. We stayed on the ship the entire time.  It was a December trip to the Bahamas, so the weather was really nice.  We found little quiet areas to sit and read. Coffee in the morning on the balcony. Happy hour in our room prior to dinner (we were on the front of the ship on the Lido deck so I could run out and get a plate of cheeses, meats and some crackers). Got a few massages and just chilled out. She was so happy and relaxed afterwards.

• Like 1

I almost always stay  on the ship.  It's a nice change to have an elevator to yourself.  I did go ashore this past Saturday on Coco Cay.  The weather was not a perfect day -- very cloudy and windy and too cold for me.  We stayed about five minutes, then I decided I'd had enough and went back to read on the balcony.

• Like 2