One cant ‘t go on cruise but has insurance.Does the other party have to cancel also or can they go in the room themselves ?

kokoko

I'm afraid that we simply need more information to help you.

• How close are you to your final payment date?
  • Why can't the other person go?  Is it a covered reason or are they considering filing for "cancel for any reason" coverage?
  • What insurance do they have? 
  • Does this insurance provide for their travel partner as far as covering the single supplement if they cancel?

50 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

As BasicSailor said, go about things like normal, and just let them be a no-show. Don't cancel anything, don't tell Carnival, etc. 

I’ve never had to use the insurance but why have it if you are not going to use it? Why should the person with insurance not cancel and get their benefit? I realize this may raise the price for the person still going but wouldn’t their insurance cover that—if they have it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

I’ve never had to use the insurance but why have it if you are not going to use it? Why should the person with insurance not cancel and get their benefit? I realize this may raise the price for the person still going but wouldn’t their insurance cover that—if they have it.

That's what I'm thinking. The person with insurance wants to cancel and collect. Not forfeit and be a no show. 

We can't just default to "have them be a no-show" because that is not always the right answer 🙂  Most insurances will, if cancelling for a covered reason, also cover their travel partner's single supplement.  That's why I asked the questions above.  

Are you saying that the person who is cancelling has insurance, but the other person does not?

Then the person who is traveling will get hit with the Single Supplement which is basically a full person charge at current rates.

If the second person ALSO has insurance, then their insurance "may" cover the Single Supplement.

The insurance for the person who cancels is not liable for the Single Supplement charge for the individual continuing on the cruise.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Are you saying that the person who is cancelling has insurance, but the other person does not?

Then the person who is traveling will get hit with the Single Supplement which is basically a full person charge at current rates.

If the second person ALSO has insurance, then their insurance "may" cover the Single Supplement.

The insurance for the person who cancels is not liable for the Single Supplement charge for the individual continuing on the cruise.

I'm saying that we just don't have enough information to default to "make them be a no-show."

15 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I'm saying that we just don't have enough information to default to "make them be a no-show."

Did you make an assumption that my comment was directed towards you? Afterall, you quoted my post.

I had to do this on an NCL cruise a few years back.  My wife dropped a large pan of hot water on her lap about 6 weeks before the cruise.  She had second degree burns on her legs and arm.  After a couple of weeks she finally went to the doctor how immediately told her she was not traveling anywhere for at least 2 more months.  So, I went solo.  The taxes for the no-show will be refunded automatically by the cruise line.  When I completed the insurance forms, I was only claiming a refund for her cruise fare since I went.  I ended up with BOTH of our cruise fares refunded.  So the cruise ended up only costing me my port fee and taxes.

2 hours ago, skedman said:

I had to do this on an NCL cruise a few years back.  My wife dropped a large pan of hot water on her lap about 6 weeks before the cruise.  She had second degree burns on her legs and arm.  After a couple of weeks she finally went to the doctor how immediately told her she was not traveling anywhere for at least 2 more months.  So, I went solo.  The taxes for the no-show will be refunded automatically by the cruise line.  When I completed the insurance forms, I was only claiming a refund for her cruise fare since I went.  I ended up with BOTH of our cruise fares refunded.  So the cruise ended up only costing me my port fee and taxes.

HAL policy only covers one of us. I wouldn’t go if he got sick. Is there any private insurance company?

Look at your insurance policy, some policies have a "Cancel for any Reason" clause but that may not cover the whole trip.  My policy, for an upcoming cruise, is with AIG covers 50% of the amount.  To claim that, the party has to miss the trip.  A claim will need to be filed with the insurance company after the loss.